Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 07:00 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times

Advertisements

My granddaughter's school just sent the new 2017-2018 school Handbook. She is 8 and will be going into 3rd grade. Uniforms are mandatory. My granddaughter has been allowed to wear shorts, skorts, pants and skirts ever since starting there in kindergarten. Now the new handbook is saying that girls in the 3rd grade and up have to wear only pants. We are not too happy about this and neither is she. She hates wearing pants, doesn't even wear jeans. Why can't girls dress like girls? Why does she have to wear what the boys wear? Why can't she wear a jumper or a skirt just above the knee? Is this school (public charter school) trying to push some unisex agenda on the kids?

They also don't allow any type of religious songs in the Christmas show. Nothing but secular songs. I have sent an email to the school and am tempted to just send her to school in a jumper or skirt on the first day and see what happens. We are considering changing schools and are checking into the cost of a private school now. It's been a long time since I went to public school but I'm shocked at the changes. She was talking about her church event to one of the other kids and another one nearby chimed in saying we are not supposed to talk about the Lord. What the hell has happened in our schools? God is out, PC is in?

To those of you with girls would this bother you? Try and keep it civil folks. I'm not interested in comments about special snowflakes, etc. Notice I said we are talking about pulling her out of that school so you don't need to tell me to "just take her out".

Last edited by chiluvr1228; 06-27-2017 at 07:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 07:27 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times
It was the opposite when I was in school. Girls were only allowed to wear skirts or dresses. Nobody was allowed to wear shorts except for gym class. Girls weren't allowed to wear skorts. The rule wasn't changed until my junior year.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:38 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,608,438 times
My experience is the same as the poster above.

OP, I suspect this is going to be the tip of the iceberg. Next, you're going to find some of her lessons and assignments troubling, so I highly suggest that you look into alternatives now and place her somewhere that better reflects your values. Bear in mind that no school is going to be perfect but there are some that have a lot less of the "progressive" garbage that is undermining many public schools today.

Added: if I had children to educate in today's climate and couldn't home school, I'd look into religious or college prep schools where "classical education" is part of their philosophy. I would also take time to look at their text books and teacher syllabi and if those aren't made available to me, I'd look elsewhere.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:45 AM

210 posts, read 200,201 times
I think girls should be allowed to wear whatever they feel like as long as theirs outfits do not distract boys and teachers from school work.
As far as religion goes, I think that school is a place for academics and worshiping isn't part of it, at least in public schools.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:59 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,083,908 times
I went to catholic school where nuns taught . Your hair had to be braided either on the sides or in a ponytail .No barettes were allowed. only pony tail holders . Girls could not wear their hair straight they must have it brushed into pigtails and bound with an elastic or a pony tail with elastic . Uniforms were blue blouses with peter pan collars and jumper style skirts never above the knee and they measured if they thought it was too short believe you me . Boys had to be clean cut , hair cuts above the collars , khaki brown pants with belt and school blazer . I guess the Ops school is concerning safety issues because we all know you have those few boys that want to think it is okay to flip a girls skirt etc , maybe that is why the school is demanding that the girls wear pants now . I have a feeling this is only the beginning of the schools new policy .

Old 06-27-2017, 09:03 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
All of the schools in my area, that require uniforms, have the opposite rule. Girls are NEVER allowed to wear slacks/pants. During snowstorms and during freezing weather girls can wear snow pants or pants to or from school and during recess but not actually in school. Some allow or require shorts or pants during gym but some do not. Some schools do allow knee length, loose shorts, during specific hot weather periods.

Did the school say why they are starting this new clothing rule?

BTW, the song thing is not new. I was a student teacher in the early/mid 1970s and even at that time, in the second largest public school district in our state, we were absolutely forbidden to say "Christmas vacation" or "Easter vacation" or "Christmas Music Program" (as some of the students were not christian so it would/could be demeaning or disrespectful to them and their religion). And, they certainly never sang religious songs during school. The one exception would be during multi-cultural units or programs where the children learned and sang songs from several different major religions. So, that major school district, and other public schools in my state, have been doing it that way for over 40 years.

Last edited by germaine2626; 06-27-2017 at 09:45 AM..

Old 06-27-2017, 09:16 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,099,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
My granddaughter's school just sent the new 2017-2018 school Handbook. She is 8 and will be going into 3rd grade. Uniforms are mandatory.
If a uniform is mandatory at the school, and the school decided on unisex uniforms, it seems plausible this is legitimate. Some of my children have gone to vocational school, pants are required for safety, as are work boots with protected toes. Girls dress the same as boys (for uniform) but are permitted to decide regarding makeup, though jewelry that is long or dangles isn't permitted, long hair must be tied tightly behind the head in shop (applies to girls and boys) getting hair caught in a running lathe or CNC machine would not be nice.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:20 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
My guess is, they are sick and tired of policing the length of skirts and shorts. And maybe they're trying to stave off a situation where boys ask to wear skirts also, since they're very comfortable and girls get to wear them. (I'm not joking here, a man in Britain did this just last week).

It's tiresome, enforcing the dress code. If you make everyone wear pants, it doesn't matter that they're highwaters. If you have one dress code for both genders, you can get on with the business of teaching them and get out of the business of measuring the length of skirts/shorts.

Because even if you require uniforms, and have a specific merchant where you have to buy the skirts and shorts, moms will hem them. With long pants, hem away honey.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:44 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
so... next year every girl wears leggings and yoga pants?

pants can still be a very broad term, I want to see everyone in those arabian pants

Old 06-27-2017, 10:11 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,262,053 times
I would love if all schools adopted that dresscode.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education