Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 10:54 AM

1,197 posts, read 3,581,414 times

Advertisements

No way is it our duty to send our kids to public school! Parents should have the choice to send them wherever they please. It's totally absurd what the state of California is doing to the homeschoolers out there
Sure, some public schools are okay, but give the parents a choice!! Guess the NEA wants to step up the indoctrination process
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 11:04 AM

25 posts, read 79,491 times
Default Medicare

Yeah, I don't know much about it either. I just didn't have a rebuttal when this person said that! I guess you could also look at the Chicago public school system as an example, maybe. The system gets plenty of money. But if you are able, in most cases, you will send your children to private school. Has this always been the case? Were the schools ever good? Until I am convinced otherwise, I happen to think you pay your taxes but do what you feel is best for your own child. Most of us want to raise good, well-educated, productive adults that can contribute posititvely to society.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:33 AM

88,979 posts, read 44,788,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicarebo View Post
Yeah, I don't know much about it either. I just didn't have a rebuttal when this person said that! I guess you could also look at the Chicago public school system as an example, maybe. The system gets plenty of money. But if you are able, in most cases, you will send your children to private school.
There's also intense competition among Chicago parents to get their children into CPS's public magnet and selective admissions schools. The fact that there are far more parents interested in these schools than there are slots for their children shows that there is a much greater demand for good public schools than public school officials will provide. Why is that? It almost seems as if they 'ration' only a certain amount of good educations. Why?
Parents face cut-throat competition -- for kindergarten -- chicagotribune.com (http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/content/education/chi-school-competition_26feb26,0,1478921.story - broken link)

Quote:
Most of us want to raise good, well-educated, productive adults that can contribute posititvely to society.
I agree. What I don't understand is why public school systems seem to act in opposition to that goal.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:57 AM

25 posts, read 79,491 times
[quote=InformedConsent;3104856]There's also intense competition among Chicago parents to get their children into CPS's public magnet and selective admissions schools. The fact that there are far more parents interested in these schools than there are slots for their children shows that there is a much greater demand for good public schools than public school officials will provide.

Yes, this is so true. I guess I am just trying to find the logic in the"public school as civic duty" argument and can't. Curiously, this same person is in favor of charter schools in Chicago.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:20 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,700,000 times
Not sure where you saw the argument, but I think generally the idea is that if everyone, including people with resources to send their kids to private school, kept their kids in public school, the overall quality of the schools would go up. When higher income, involved parents (not that the two always go together) pull their kids out of public school, it leaves the children of lower income parents there who don't have as many resources (time, money, whatever) to invest in the school. Along with that goes the idea that kids with resources and parental involvement are going to do well in school and will positively influence the other kids.

"A rising tide carries all boats" or whatever that expression is.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:27 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,503,034 times
I pay very high taxes in the town where I live, and the excellent schools are largely the reason they are so high. As far as I am concerned, my civic duty toward the schools is done when I pay that bill. If I then choose to send my children to private school--that's fine with me and I feel no guilt about it.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:02 PM

88,979 posts, read 44,788,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
"A rising tide carries all boats" or whatever that expression is.
I think there is some truth in that. The problem is that many public schools want to keep the highly achieving students and their involved parents, but then refuse to provide the education that those students and their parents are looking for - an education that allows them to develop their strengths and maximize their potential. Many public schools will only provide a lockstep, one-size-fits-all education that in reality fits only a very few.

I will say this again, NCLB is not the problem. NCLB goals and state standards are the bare MINIMUM acceptable achievement level - not the only outcome that schools should work toward. Students who are capable of moving beyond that bare minimum benchmark should be educated in such a way that they do so. Those who slam NCLB should really direct their anger towards public schools that refuse to recognize the fact that NCLB requirements are the FLOOR, not the one-level-fits-all ceiling, of our country's children's educational outcomes.

Last edited by InformedConsent; 03-11-2008 at 01:04 PM.. Reason: spacing

Old 03-11-2008, 01:36 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,462,771 times
I couldn't agree more!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
I believe it is our civic duty to try to make our public schools the best quality we possibly can. Other than that, it's up to the parent where to send their child, though for the record I do NOT believe in a voucher system.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:38 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,856,309 times
My main argument with public schools (and I know that I'm speaking in generalities here) is the lack of critical thinking and insistence on a "one size fits all" mentality. The "No Tolerance" discipline policies, in particular, sometimes reach the point of absurdity. I realize that the adminstration at public schools often have their hands tied by "the rules and policies," but honestly, you've got to use a little common sense here sometimes, people.

Here is a link regarding an incident that occurred here in Georgia some years back:

CNN.com - Georgia girl's Tweety Bird chain runs afoul of weapons policy - September 28, 2000 (http://archives.cnn.com/2000/US/09/28/wallet.suspension.02/ - broken link)

In a private school, the principal would have the discretion to decide what the appropriate course of action would be for this child. In my personal opinion, educating the child as to ways that the keychain could potentially be misused would be an appropriate step (with this being a first "offense"). But "government think" would not allow for such use of critical thinking skills and the principal is not allowed deal with such incidents on a "case by case" basis.

I think that such incidents teach blind adherence to "rules" with little understanding of times when such "rules" can be put aside... That is one main reason why my kids will most likely attend private schools. Yes, I know stupidity exists in private schools as well, but at least I will have the option to investigate and apply only to those schools that meet my standards and fit my children's needs.

Again, just my humble opinion.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:19 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times
Interesting question. Actually, I think you will find that most public schools don't care either way. If you send your child to a private school they still get tax dollars for your student, at least here in MN, and they don't have to pay a teacher for your teacher-along with everything else that goes on in school so financially they come out ahead that way.

We have excellent public schools that are as good as or better then the private schools here. Most people really have a CHOICE this way. For the most part the private schools here are religious schools, Catholic or Lutheran mostly. People choose to send their children to incorporate the religious aspect into their kids' education.

Our kids went to Catholic schools in our old town and are in public schools here. I miss the Catholic part of the school but we are VERY happy with the quality of education the kids are getting. We are VERY lucky to have such good schools here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education