Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2017, 08:58 AM

11,632 posts, read 12,695,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
That's pretty standard in just about every classroom these days, so definitely not prohibited. They're usually called "brain breaks" and involve some type of movement to get the kids out of their desks and moving around for a few minutes.
Yes, or they put on some sort of kids' exercise or dance video and have the kids follow along with the routine. Most kids love them. Usually a 10-15 minute break once in the morning and once in the afternoon. Plus our elementary kids do have gym 2x a week and they do have recess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 09:27 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,735,487 times
I almost wish the schools would just require a fee for supplies and then use their bulk buying power to get better deals then parents might be able to get in stores. I don't know if others would agree but I think I would like that.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:35 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I get that for an individual. But would they supply Mockingbird for the N hundreds of kids that need the book? Even in our small district that would be a couple hundred copies from a library system that is equally small sized with only a handful of copies. That's what I'm getting at, if everyone went to the library, it wouldn't supply the needs.
Our district has class copies for every book assigned in a literature class, just as they have textbooks for students in other courses where required. Students don't have to buy their own copies unless they want to do so. Clearly, I live in a bubble, because I wrongly assumed this was the case for other school districts as well.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:46 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I almost wish the schools would just require a fee for supplies and then use their bulk buying power to get better deals then parents might be able to get in stores. I don't know if others would agree but I think I would like that.
I agree and have said that upthread. Our district had some policies against asking for money from kids (though it was not hard and fast when my kids were in school, and seems to be even less rigid now) but if they could find a way around that I would definitely agree with the above. The schools don't have to pay sales tax, either, but the parents do when they buy it themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Our district has class copies for every book assigned in a literature class, just as they have textbooks for students in other courses where required. Students don't have to buy their own copies unless they want to do so. Clearly, I live in a bubble, because I wrongly assumed this was the case for other school districts as well.
It's not even the case for other well off districts near you! That was not the case for my district, about 30 miles from you. The school had a limited number of copies to lend out when my kids were there, and I have no reason to think they've changed. As I said, you couldn't highlight in the school copies, nor make notes in the margins. Some of these LA classes really analyzed these books to death; it would be hard to not highlight, etc. As for the library, when hundreds (literally) of kids are assigned the same book, the few copies they have wouldn't help much. Plus, our local library only allows a book to be kept for 6 weeks, and some of these "units" go on for many more.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:00 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,294,472 times
Quote:
Nah, you just live in a better school district. Our teachers are expected to provide so much for their students out of their own pockets. My son had to read four different books this year for reading. Can you imagine the cost of providing four books each for 150 kids?

Old 07-26-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I agree and have said that upthread. Our district had some policies against asking for money from kids (though it was not hard and fast when my kids were in school, and seems to be even less rigid now) but if they could find a way around that I would definitely agree with the above. The schools don't have to pay sales tax, either, but the parents do when they buy it themselves.
I had wondered if maybe it had to do with schools not being able to ask for more money. I also wonder if some parents would feel more annoyed by the request for money then for actual supplies. It's complicated but I do like the idea of bulk buying power and the elimination of sales tax that would come with the buyer being the school. I also think it could be better for the teachers as they could buy exactly what they want and need.

Quote:
It's not even the case for other well off districts near you! That was not the case for my district, about 30 miles from you. The school had a limited number of copies to lend out when my kids were there, and I have no reason to think they've changed. As I said, you couldn't highlight in the school copies, nor make notes in the margins. Some of these LA classes really analyzed these books to death; it would be hard to not highlight, etc. As for the library, when hundreds (literally) of kids are assigned the same book, the few copies they have wouldn't help much. Plus, our local library only allows a book to be kept for 6 weeks, and some of these "units" go on for many more.
I agree. Even in some of the more well off districts, having a book for every student is often not the case. Finding a copy at the library when demand is so high can be very difficult and sometimes has to be returned too quickly. And if your child goes to a poorer school, forget it. Sometimes they can't even take home textbooks. I've come to realize that so much of the school inequities in terms of money has to do with the PTA. Wealthier districts and schools will always be able to raise funds easily. Poor districts and schools will always struggle and come up short compared to their wealthier counterparts.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post

The high school sells all of the required literature in the campus bookstore for students who want their own books. I usually encouraged my kids to purchase their copies, so they could be free with the annotation, because as you pointed out, sometimes the analysis required is extensive.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Nah, you just live in a better school district. Our teachers are expected to provide so much for their students out of their own pockets. My son had to read four different books this year for reading. Can you imagine the cost of providing four books each for 150 kids?
What grade is he in? Just curious.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
The high school sells all of the required literature in the campus bookstore for students who want their own books. I usually encouraged my kids to purchase their copies, so they could be free with the annotation, because as you pointed out, sometimes the analysis required is extensive.

Just curious, do the bookstores do buybacks and then resell the books the following year for students to buy used like they do in college. I could see that as a way to make things more affordable and accessible.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Just curious, do the bookstores do buybacks and then resell the books the following year for students to buy used like they do in college. I could see that as a way to make things more affordable and accessible.
Not that I'm aware of. The bookstore sells paperback copies of literature, consumable workbooks and lab materials for science/math courses, general school supplies, clothing, and some snack items. Hardback textbooks are handled elsewhere.

Last edited by randomparent; 07-26-2017 at 10:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education