Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2018, 08:18 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,254,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Cool...? I’m not sure why you quoted my post. Is 2 glue sticks and 24 pencils supposed to be a lot? My fourth grade class does a fair amount of gluing, so having 2 of the large size glue sticks might be enough, but there wouldn’t be much leftover for the kids to bring home at the end of the year. Same with the pencils, that’s about one pencil every 2 weeks. Some kids go through more, some less. I wouldn’t expect any pencils to be left over either at the end of the year to be sent home.

I can see where a teacher would request a certain brand if the students are sharing. Some of the girls in my class have pink glittery pencils, not something the boys would want to use.
Only b/c of this:

Quote:
Nobody is demanding 40 glue sticks.
If my 9 year old had 20 kids in his class instead of 19, they would have 40 glue sticks (large) as opposed to 38. To share.

It was actually two boxes of sharpened pencils - so if 24 are in a box, that equals 48 per child, a total of 912 pencils. To share.

I didn't mean to give you the impression that the only supplies requested for my 4th grader were glue sticks and pencils. Far from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 08:38 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,594,265 times
Quote:
Cool...? I’m not sure why you quoted my post. Is 2 glue sticks and 24 pencils supposed to be a lot? My fourth grade class does a fair amount of gluing, so having 2 of the large size glue sticks might be enough, but there wouldn’t be much leftover for the kids to bring home at the end of the year. Same with the pencils, that’s about one pencil every 2 weeks. Some kids go through more, some less. I wouldn’t expect any pencils to be left over either at the end of the year to be sent home.

I can see where a teacher would request a certain brand if the students are sharing. Some of the girls in my class have pink glittery pencils, not something the boys would want to use.
My kids go through a pencil a day. It’s like there is a pencil monster in the room, and for some reason they can’t write with them if they’re not perfectly sharp. As for glue they don’t last either. I find it ridiculous anyone would think 2 glue sticks would last an elementary student a year. I’m also not sure why those that complain about school supplies assume all teachers combine them. They go in a large ziplock bag at the start of the year. Once they’re out they’re out. Guess what parents don’t like to restock. Furthermore why is it a big deal anyway? Don’t people want their child to have what they need for success? Do they really believe we’re getting kick backs for requesting a given brand of supplies? Hoarding and selling them on the school supply black market? I can promise we’re not. As for the brands they’re a request. Get any brand you like. It’s not like we can refuse to teach your child if you don’t send supplies or a given brand. Teachers do however know which brands last the longest which is why those may be suggested. It’s frustrating as a teacher to see such hate for requesting the supplies needed to teach.

Old 01-07-2018, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Wait your sophomore has to pay for etexts? Ours access the etexts free on the school website with their individual username and password.
Yes. Every student who has a class with a teacher that prefers e-texts does.

Have to be purchased at the school bookstore & from there he gets a code to access/activate.

Old 01-07-2018, 10:37 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,012,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
Only b/c of this:

If my 9 year old had 20 kids in his class instead of 19, they would have 40 glue sticks (large) as opposed to 38. To share.
Yeah, but that would be 40 glue sticks for the entire class.... 2 per student. Thats completely different then those claiming that each student is being required to bring in 40 glue sticks.

Old 01-07-2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
My kids go through a pencil a day. It’s like there is a pencil monster in the room, and for some reason they can’t write with them if they’re not perfectly sharp. As for glue they don’t last either. I find it ridiculous anyone would think 2 glue sticks would last an elementary student a year. I’m also not sure why those that complain about school supplies assume all teachers combine them. They go in a large ziplock bag at the start of the year. Once they’re out they’re out. Guess what parents don’t like to restock. Furthermore why is it a big deal anyway? Don’t people want their child to have what they need for success? Do they really believe we’re getting kick backs for requesting a given brand of supplies? Hoarding and selling them on the school supply black market? I can promise we’re not. As for the brands they’re a request. Get any brand you like. It’s not like we can refuse to teach your child if you don’t send supplies or a given brand. Teachers do however know which brands last the longest which is why those may be suggested. It’s frustrating as a teacher to see such hate for requesting the supplies needed to teach.
Apparently glue sticks last an entire school year...b/c I get them sent back home (when they weren't for the "greater good" & my kids' names were on them).

When the teacher states that supplies will be SHARED, that's not an assumption.

Not always a "request". More like a "demand"....and the TEACHER is the one that writes up the "supply list".

And here's the rub - notebook checks (for a grade): DO you have everything I asked you to have? In that notebook of yours?

Who said a thing about kick-backs?

This isn't a teacher vs. parent issue.

This is about how parents have to pay for school supplies. Even at an independent private that costs a min of $30K per year.

You'd think crayons, glue sticks, notebooks, pencils & all books would be handed out on a silver platter at that cost to send you kid to school.

Doesn't work that way.

Old 01-07-2018, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but that would be 40 glue sticks for the entire class.... 2 per student. Thats completely different then those claiming that each student is being required to bring in 40 glue sticks.
Exactly.

Who said every student was required to bring in 40 glue sticks?

Old 01-08-2018, 05:52 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,871,853 times
Quote:
Who said every student was required to bring in 40 glue sticks?
I might have posted that. If that's the case, I was probably thinking 40 pencils. Oops.

Old 01-08-2018, 10:32 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,594,265 times
Quote:
Apparently glue sticks last an entire school year...b/c I get them sent back home (when they weren't for the "greater good" & my kids' names were on them).

When the teacher states that supplies will be SHARED, that's not an assumption.

Not always a "request". More like a "demand"....and the TEACHER is the one that writes up the "supply list".

And here's the rub - notebook checks (for a grade): DO you have everything I asked you to have? In that notebook of yours?

Who said a thing about kick-backs?

This isn't a teacher vs. parent issue.

This is about how parents have to pay for school supplies. Even at an independent private that costs a min of $30K per year.

You'd think crayons, glue sticks, notebooks, pencils & all books would be handed out on a silver platter at that cost to send you kid to school.

Doesn't work that way.
So since they’re not included you think the responsibility should fall on the teachers and not the parents?

Old 01-08-2018, 12:03 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
So since they’re not included you think the responsibility should fall on the teachers and not the parents?
I think Informed Info is saying that the school should provide the supplies.

When I was a kid back in Pennsylvania, we got a tablet and a pencil every 6 weeks. Granted, times have changed. . . a lot. . . since then. We provided our other supplies, but there was no list.

My own kids, now in their 30s, had lists. With my kids, the lists were the same for every teacher in a grade level at a particular school, e.g. all 4th graders at "5th Avenue School" brought this, all 5th graders that, etc. At my kids' school, they weren't allowed to have Trapper-Keepers b/c they didn't fit into the school's desks. In MS/HS it was by subject, and mostly consisted of lab fees, calculators, stuff like that.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:10 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,037,151 times
Quote:
No that's NOT what most of us patents are saying. All we're asking us the list be more reasonable. And rational. Just as an example, why does a student need a 5 inch binder AND a 3 inch binder AND Three 2 inch binders AND 4 spiral notebooks AND a composition book. Those binders are expensive. Why can't they use just one? If they have spiral notebooks, why have a binder at all?

And what happens to all those expensive binders because we never see them again and they don't come home at the end of the year?

I don't mind buying the supplies my kids need for school. I do mind spending a lot on waste and much of these lists are waste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education