Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 07:50 PM

494 posts, read 283,493 times

Advertisements

You can tell I'm getting really really old because I find it hard to believe that the United States has come to this. We just needed a couple of pencils and a binder with paper when I went to school. Geez.....I cannot imagine trying to bring up a child in this world today!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 07:52 PM

45,104 posts, read 60,184,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Two questions: (1) How did a moron like that become a principal? , and (2) Why didn't anybody complain, be it teachers or parents? There's nothing bad about taking unused supplies home and reusing them next year.

I noticed the same thing, based on the reading I did, and I wondered too. It's only the elementary and middle schools that got taken over by supply racketeers; high schools still have a traditional, normal mindset. Well, science teachers require you bring stuff like safety goggles, but that's about it. Could it be because high school have sports teams that bring in revenue, and therefore they have less need for kickbacks from supply manufacturers? Or for a less conspiracist view, the revenue from sports teams reduces the necessity for supply lists.
Do you really believe schools and, especially, teachers are getting kickback for pencils? Really?

While you're in a finger pointing mode you need to point it at who's actually responsible, school boards that have removed these supplies, upon recommendation by consultants and migrant labor Broad Foundation graduate Superintendents, from the budget as supplied by the schools while adopting curricula requiring those supplies.

The reason high school supplies are less is because there are a lot less hands on activities in high school.

As a note: you really need some sort of education about school budgets.

Old 01-08-2018, 07:54 PM

50,431 posts, read 24,019,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Do you really believe schools and, especially, teachers are getting kickback for pencils? Really?

While you're in a finger pointing mode you need to point it at who's actually responsible, school boards that have removed these supplies, upon recommendation by consultants and migrant labor Broad Foundation graduate Superintendents, from the budget as supplied by the schools while adopting curricula requiring those supplies.

The reason high school supplies are less is because there are a lot less hands on activities in high school.

I'm glad you posted that.

Where were the kickbacks for my school when I was principal.
I didn't ever see any kickbacks, even from yearbook sales!
What a fantasy.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:39 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,033,700 times
Quote:

Yeah that was a nonsensical post. Thanks for the thoughtful response.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:40 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,964,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
My mouth dropped when I saw a closet full of boxes of tissues in one classroom where I subbed.
Was this at the beginning of the school year? At back to school night, when kids bring in their supplies, a lot of teachers are cramming tissue boxes anywhere they can. So yes. anyone who walked into a classroom in my building during the first few weeks of school might think there is an overabundance of tissues. But by the end of the year, after flu/cold and allergy season? All those boxes are long gone.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:41 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,847,267 times
Quote:
I hope I'm wrong, I really do. But when school supplies lists reach astronomical proportions, and are brand-specific, and become communal (which enables wastefulness), and new ones are required every year, I can't help but smell a rat and wonder "what if?" What's so bad about making a short list of daily must-haves and brief advance notices for non-daily supplies? It worked until very recently, after all.

Maybe so, but high school still requires stuff like pens, pencils, notebooks, etc. Yet nobody demands 40 items on the first day; you just need to have one or two on you every day. (I'm not factoring in specialized items, like a lab apron or a TI calculator.) And on that note, my Spanish classes were actually quite hands-on: we made posters, but those were usually for homework. Classroom hands-on assignments only required people, like putting on a mini-play in front of class.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 01-08-2018 at 08:53 PM..

Old 01-08-2018, 08:58 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,033,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I hope I'm wrong, I really do. But when school supplies lists reach astronomical proportions, and are brand-specific, and become communal (which enables wastefulness), and new ones are required every year, I can't help but smell a rat and wonder "what if?" What's so bad about making a short list of daily must-haves and brief advance notices for non-daily supplies? It worked until very recently, after all.

Maybe so, but high school still requires stuff like pens, pencils, notebooks, etc. Yet nobody demands 40 items on the first day; you just need to have one or two on you every day. (I'm not factoring in specialized items, like a lab apron or a TI calculator.) And on that note, my Spanish classes were actually quite hands-on: we made posters, but those were usually for homework. Classroom hands-on assignments only required people, like putting on a mini-play in front of class.
What's the obsession? Parent? Uncle of a student? Teacher? Volunteer? What are you basing your analysis on? An article? Your grade school experience?

Old 01-08-2018, 09:10 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,847,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
What's the obsession? Parent? Uncle of a student? Teacher? Volunteer? What are you basing your analysis on?
None of the above. I'm just annoyed by what schools are turning into. Don't get me wrong: I'd be fine with bringing truly necessary supplies. Just don't p1ss on me and tell me it's rain.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 01-08-2018 at 09:33 PM..

Old 01-08-2018, 09:15 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,228,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
So since they’re not included you think the responsibility should fall on the teachers and not the parents?
I didn't mean to infer that at all.

What I said/meant was that most of these school supplies, in my experience, don't even get used or if they do? Only a few pages in a marble notebook or 3 ring binder that has to be set up in a certain way, etc.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:30 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,228,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Where’s the list that requires all of those binders?
I looked for the supply list on the school website but I can't find it. The school just completely changed the site & I'm guessing they didn't bother with the supply lists because it's the middle of the school year.

Quote:
Actually I could see that in HS.
The only supplies required in my kids' HS is an iPad (for each student to have) & the text books or etexts on an annual basis.

I think I may have mentioned that Visorgogs are required for classes with labs & calculators for certain math classes.

Quote:
Either way what does it matter? Send it or don’t. If you don’t and they need it someone else will provide it right?
It matters because it adds up monetarily & not all of it gets used in an efficient manner or at all (in my experience).

I don't do things that way. My kids' will have what they are required to & as requested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education