Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 05:51 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times

Advertisements

Good for you. Everyone should act just like you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 07:11 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compSciGuy View Post
Any recommendations for camp providers that have camps where the kids will be engaged and preferably the camper instructors (and/or) campers won't be rubbernecking around cell phones or other non-camp related electronic devices?

Obviously, I don't expect the instructors to be looking after the kids like a parent would, but it would be nice if they were at least looking at the kids instead of their phones (not too common, but this still occurs with noticeable frequently). Similarly, I know there are great and bad instructors in various programs, and the instructors may not have the discretion to control individual kids' usage, but if there were any camps with specific policies stronger than "discouragement" it would be beneficial. If I wanted my young elementary school child addicted to youtube, video games and text messaging, I wouldn't need to spend several hundred dollars a week. Prefer non-residential day camps, but definitely open to hearing about great residential camps (albeit, it's not in the current budget).
Have you tried taking your kids camping on your own? If you want them to have a true camping experience that would be my suggestion.

Otherwise, if you live in an area that provides farming experiences or other such "work" atmosphere experiences perhaps you should look into those activities.

The best way for your children to learn not to spend all their time on electronic devices is by modeling that behavior for them. If you are doing that already that is a plus.

If you qualify there are always programs available through your local agency's such as YMCA, Salvation Army, Parks and Rec depts., boy scouts, girl scouts...and probably many more that escape me at the moment.

Here is a search link for programs related to income or single parent status. Hopefully it helps.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=summer...&setlang=en-US

Old 07-31-2017, 10:08 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,458,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Have you tried taking your kids camping on your own? If you want them to have a true camping experience that would be my suggestion.

Otherwise, if you live in an area that provides farming experiences or other such "work" atmosphere experiences perhaps you should look into those activities.

The best way for your children to learn not to spend all their time on electronic devices is by modeling that behavior for them. If you are doing that already that is a plus.

If you qualify there are always programs available through your local agency's such as YMCA, Salvation Army, Parks and Rec depts., boy scouts, girl scouts...and probably many more that escape me at the moment.

Here is a search link for programs related to income or single parent status. Hopefully it helps.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=summer...&setlang=en-US
The kids have gone "camping" in the state parks. That, however, is not my primary concern. It's more the "summer camps" to keep them busy so I can do things like work to pay the bills. Just looking at potential options for next summer.

My oldest has gone to a farm camp before. I did look into it this year, but since she's going to middle school and the younger daughter is still in elementary, I would need to find something that my oldest can do that's nearby and has accommodating hours.

Despite my "screen name", I severely limit my electronic activities if it's not work related. My girls do not have electronic devices that belong to them, but unfortunately, they are pervasive in this society.

I did participate in boy scouts when I was younger. I have talked to the oldest daughter about joining scouts, but it would interfere with her sports on the weekend.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:38 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
This might be a good spot to post camps that kids nationwide can attend. Little too late for this summer, but could be valuable information for next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education