Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2017, 10:16 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,047,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I like that name - the 2:45 club. Detention at my school also started at 2:45 but we called it 9th period (the regular school day had 8 periods). I don't think calling it "popular" would be the right name, but it was usually pretty well attended. Usually I ran across at least one friend or good acquaintance there, sometimes multiple. When that happened, we laughed, congratulated each other on being there, andusually made plans to do something fun after we got out. By senior year, that usually involved drinking. . Especially in the second half of high school, I got a kick out of getting into minor trouble and didn't really mind the detentions very much. Everybody used to walk by the room to see who was in stir that day, and I always got positive feedback the next day from other kids and even some of the "cooler" teachers.

When detention is given so often for such minor offenses, it turns it into a total joke, and completely defeats the purpose of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 11:43 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magpiehere View Post
I was suspended several times in high school for insubordination.

Some teachers would insult or belittle and I would stand up/fight back. One accused me of lying when I did not and I really stood my ground on that I was so furious. I did not "fight back" without cause and disrespect.

Years later I lived next door to a high school principle, told him this story. He said they all knew the bad teachers but could never not side with them - the kid was punished whether they deserved it or not.

I also had excellent attendance and grades. If our mom came to the school we would not have to do the three days, we could get right back in.

I was dumb and thought this "permanent record" bull**** was real, thankfully it isn't.
1. If a high school princiPAL told you that, then he was a poor princiPAL.

2. Permanent records do matter, at least as long as you are in the education system. Have a lousy "permanent" record from high school, and your chances of getting in some colleges and universities plummet.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:45 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,369,217 times
Nope. Never had detention, either.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:01 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,000,320 times
I was suspended from school for nearly a week in 9th grade. Things got a little physical on the basketball court, but it wasn't that bad. The guy waited for me in the locker room and then came up to me and started swinging without saying a word. I fought back well enough to get him to run out of the locker room. Someone reported what they saw and we got sent to the principal's office.

We each received a ticket from the cop at our school and had to go to court near the end of the school year. I showed up but the other guy (and I STILL REMEMBER HIS NAME), didn't. The judge was impressed with me and just told me to stay out of trouble and "don't be a knucklehead."

Old 08-11-2017, 04:19 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,948,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
How so?
He was trying to get you to calm down but you became even more upset.

Old 08-11-2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:
He was trying to get you to calm down but you became even more upset.
How exactly was sending me back to kindergarten supposed to calm me down.

Old 08-12-2017, 01:07 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,948,883 times
Quote:
How exactly was sending me back to kindergarten supposed to calm me down.
He was bluffing. He never intended to send you back. He said that to highlight what he seemed to think was your immature behavior. Apparently you didn't get it.

Old 08-12-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
He was bluffing. He never intended to send you back. He said that to highlight what he seemed to think was your immature behavior. Apparently you didn't get it.
Still not sure why you think that would calm me down. I guess that's why it didn't work.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
1. If a high school princiPAL told you that, then he was a poor princiPAL.
When you were a principal, did you ever side with a student over a teacher?

Quote:
2. Permanent records do matter, at least as long as you are in the education system. Have a lousy "permanent" record from high school, and your chances of getting in some colleges and universities plummet.
It seems that it depends on the school what is retained on the permanent record, and how permanent it actually is.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:39 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,914,217 times
Quote:
So, in other words, you feel that you should have just stood there and let that other student beat you up, given that you seem to feel that you deserved the detention for defending yourself?
Not at all as I surely did defend myself. However in doing so, I threw a punch in a classroom and that was obviously against the rules. Back then, rules mattered and you suffered the consequences of your actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education