Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 03:29 PM

268 posts, read 1,014,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmablue View Post
Thank you all so much....I really feel better about the whole thing. I know one thing is for sure and that is I'm not going to let him be kept back for a repeat of the 4th grade.

Special Education classes have such a negative sound to them. I remember the kids in special ed when I was in high school and well....What should I expect from a special ed program at a school. I would like to know as much as I can before I go into this meeting.

While kids start figuring out who is in special ed, there are many different ways schools "do" their programs to minimize the impact on student emotionally. In my school, both SPED and struggling students get pulled to do Voyager daily. Other children get help with reading tests. Others have accomadations that give them extra time for assignments, etc. It all depends on what the testing shows.

My son, who is in 5th grade, has a SPED ruling and a gifted ruling. He doesn't even know about the SPED ruling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 01:12 PM

151 posts, read 703,106 times
One of the major problems with retention is as others have said, having over-age students alongside younger ones. When you have hundreds of these in one school building with several in a classroom it is asking for trouble as teacher and student report: these are often the ones who are the trouble makers...too mature compared with so called peers. Fifteen and 12 year olds in this day and age need not be together. I still say, intervene early, avoid retention especially in the later grades, it damaging. I'm concinced by the research.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:48 PM

64 posts, read 149,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshvo View Post
Is he below grade level in a main subject such as reading, writing or math I know that at my school, the moment a child falls below level in any of those subject areas (for older children like your son it might be in science too-I teach 1st grade so I don't have to worry about that area) we have to put him on a special plan stating the methods we will be trying with him to get him back on grade level. Also at my school, if a child is below level in reading, he has to get an additional 30 minute a day of help in reading.

If after 9 weeks there hasn't been any improvement, teachers can ask to have the child tested, by the school and for free, to see if there are any learning disabilities...or if there is just a low IQ issue. The child has to not improve in reading, or in writing AND math (not just writing, or not just math, but the both of them).

Has your child been listed below level? At either your old school, or the new one? You definitely can ask for academic testing.
I have decided to keep my son back in first grade. He is having difficulty in reading; comprehension, phonics, decoding, retaining information. He did improve somewhat during the school year but was still behind the other students. He goes to a Title 1 teacher 4 times a week for 20 minutes. He attends a private school. How can I go about getting him the extra help that he needs to make sure he does well this year? My email address is michelle28@tmail.com I would appreciate any advice that you can give me.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:24 PM

96 posts, read 441,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmichelle28CT View Post
I have decided to keep my son back in first grade. He is having difficulty in reading; comprehension, phonics, decoding, retaining information. He did improve somewhat during the school year but was still behind the other students. He goes to a Title 1 teacher 4 times a week for 20 minutes. He attends a private school. How can I go about getting him the extra help that he needs to make sure he does well this year? My email address is michelle28@tmail.com I would appreciate any advice that you can give me.
I am retaining one of my students due to social immaturity, which research states is an okay reason to retain students in early grades. He made some growth academically, but he really just wasn't ready for first grade expectations. The same may be true of your son. When's his birthday? Boys with summer birthdays sometimes have a more difficult time in school. He may just need to grow socially before he can truly grow academically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education