Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 06:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
I'm ok with 90 minute homework cos me and my little ones don't consider homework as a burden or a work. It is one of my ways to bond with them and for them to learn at the same time in a fun way. What is 90 minute of your entire day?
So who is doing the homework?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 07:07 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
So who is doing the homework?
lol!

Old 09-09-2017, 07:44 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,355,663 times
Quote:
I'm ok with 90 minute homework cos me and my little ones don't consider homework as a burden or a work. It is one of my ways to bond with them and for them to learn at the same time in a fun way. What is 90 minute of your entire day?
90 min. sounds like a lot to me especially if it means there is no time for physical play...90 min. plus dinner time plus bath plus bedtime leaves what for a kid in kindergarten? Oh...and I guess there'd better not be any other kids in the family?

Old 09-09-2017, 07:53 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
90 min. sounds like a lot to me especially if it means there is no time for physical play...90 min. plus dinner time plus bath plus bedtime leaves what for a kid in kindergarten? Oh...and I guess there'd better not be any other kids in the family?
My kid gets 2 recesses and PE in school (kindergarten).

Three days a week he has martial arts. One soccer practice. One soccer match.

Swim team in the summer and whenever he wants (also whenever he wants to ride his bike or scooter).

If anything, the exercise really helps his focus and retention.

20 min of piano practice a day.

And he sleeps a good 11 hours a night.

If you get rid of tv/ipad, it's amazing the amount of stuff you can get done,

It's Saturday...so he got to do PlayStation after his soccer game. Friday nights he goes to a dance party at the club. Tomorrow he will likely just dick around and free play.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:01 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
Mine had homework but not that much! One page of math, study wall words for spelling test (about 7 words) and read for 20 minutes. That's it. Your son needs to have a talk with the teacher! My 4th grader doesn't even have that much homework and we are in s highly rated school district as well'

Old 09-09-2017, 08:05 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Or maybe not. There's no evidence that homework is all that beneficial.
Any child who is doing all this, below, in kindergarten, will breeze through 1st grade. (Not saying he will have a happy kindergarten experience.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Here's a sample list of the homework for a week:
  • Read a book with the child each night and then have the child answer questions about the book.
  • 3-6 pages of math or identifying or drawing shapes (who knew a K kid needed to know hexagons, trapezoids and pentagons!)
  • 4 other tasks, such as i.e rhyming, identifying similar starting sounds in words. Identify a sentence in a book count the words in a sentence & identify a paragraph & count the sentences. Practice working with the calendar and with telling time. Cut shapes out paste them on paper so they tell a story.
  • Practice in Lexia

Old 09-09-2017, 08:09 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Or maybe not. There's no evidence that homework is all that beneficial.
If that's true, why did some major school districts do away with it because studies showed that kids who did their homework had an advantage over kids who did not?

The problem with the various analyses of this is that it winds up coming down to the basic question of how much is the exact right amount. Too much not good. Just right DOES give advantage.

The op is saying her kid is getting 90 minutes of homework. That's not necessarily true. It's just taking him 90 minutes to do it. I think with some time that it will become much less as he gets used to the whole concept. Purposely scheduling 90 minutes for a kindergartener is excessive, IMO. But we don't know that that's really what happened.

It's like when my friend who is very strong try to bench press for the first time. Because she really didn't have any idea what she was doing and didn't know how to engage her muscles, she could barely lift the bar. But once she realized how to balance the weight and what muscles to use, she was off like a freight train.

There is an iPad app that gives your kid math questions and flips to the next question once they get it right. I've seen my son finishing 25 math questions in less than 4 minutes. His best is around 2:50.

Not bc he is a genius.

Practice.

So he could do 100 math questions easily within 10 or 15 minutes. I don't consider that excessive time spent on homework.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:21 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
Quote:
90 minutes to a 5-6 yr old is ALOT, especially if they have already been in school for 6 hours! If it's half day Kindergarten then I can see it being no big deal, but most Kindergarten classes are now all day.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:21 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Mine had homework but not that much! One page of math, study wall words for spelling test (about 7 words) and read for 20 minutes. That's it. Your son needs to have a talk with the teacher! My 4th grader doesn't even have that much homework and we are in s highly rated school district as well'
My neighbor is a substitute teacher in the district, I'm going to ask her to do some digging and find out if the other two kindergarten teachers in this school are giving out this much homework and also what some of the other schools are doing for K homework. If it's normal for this district then we will just deal with it.

My son has mentioned talking to the teacher but he doesn't want to make her angry and have her treat his son different than the other kids and while I know that shouldn't happen- it could.

Old 09-09-2017, 09:41 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
If that's true, why did some major school districts do away with it because studies showed that kids who did their homework had an advantage over kids who did not?

Perhaps you could provide some documentation for this rather outrageous statement?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education