Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2017, 11:17 PM

560 posts, read 540,609 times

Advertisements

Was it ever offered in your Middle school, HS or/and college? Did you ever take it, and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2017, 05:43 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,326,854 times
Our local HS offers it, but my own HS did not.

Old 12-10-2017, 06:48 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,014,275 times
My college did, My room mate was a Special Ed Major, he taught me some ASL, But since I never had a chance to use it past when I was his roommate, I have forgotten how to do it.

Old 12-11-2017, 01:20 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,079,876 times
I wish my HS had offered it, we only had Spanish.

My college did, but unless you needed it for you major it was impossible to get in a class. The year after I finished my foreign language req they decided to add more ASL and allow it to be taken for the Foreign Languag req. I was so upset as I have always wanted to officially learn it and I believe it would have been more beneficial than some of the other languages offered.

I know the alphabet and some basic things because our 2nd grade teacher taught us. Her adopted son was deaf and I think it inspired her to kinda give kids a basic knowledge of it.

Old 12-24-2017, 07:27 AM

901 posts, read 2,249,870 times
If everyone were taught sign language we could have a universal easy way to communicate through the world.

Old 12-24-2017, 07:41 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,203,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterCatcher View Post
If everyone were taught sign language we could have a universal easy way to communicate through the world.
Is that actually the case. I know almost zip about sign language, but I have seen adverts for learning sign language with the name of a foreign language in front of it....what I mean is "English sign language" "German sign language."

That led me to believe that some languages at least had a sign language tailored to their culture, and that it would not necessarily be intelligible to those who learned sign language in another culture.

Maybe someone would be able to explain this.

Old 12-25-2017, 04:01 PM

Location: In my cat's house, until she finds a better human servant
372 posts, read 390,641 times
I took ASL 101 at college, it was fascinating and I learned a great deal about Deaf culture and the complexity and richness of signing. The class was completely immersive, our instructor was deaf and although we had an interpreter for a week, after that we were on our own and were only allowed to sign, any speaking was strongly discouraged. It is something I would like to learn more of but it doesn’t apply to my major, so it will have to wait. I’ve already gotten rusty even after learning enough to have basic conversation. Like any language it must be practiced to maintain your skill. And yes there are definitely regional differences in sign language, both in the broader sense and regional differences within a country, such as different parts of the US.

We were also shown a historical film about how some Native American tribes were able to communicate by using a sign language they held in common, even though they had different spoken languages.

Another thing I found interesting, and challenging, was that meaning could change by inflections, subtle changes in position or how a gesture is made, including facial expressions that can be critical to understanding.

Last edited by Cat5e; 12-25-2017 at 04:35 PM..

Old 12-26-2017, 08:20 AM

8,081 posts, read 7,454,172 times
I took it along with my son who was about 6 or 7, at our local community college. It was interesting and fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education