Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2008, 03:33 PM

58 posts, read 332,793 times

Advertisements

Growing up in Arkansas I think I've heard it all

It's wasp not wasper.........window not winder........pillow not piller......wash not warsh......Ox-a-gen not Ox-ga-gen.......pneumonia is pronounced NEW MOAN YA not LA-MOAN-YA..........many more but I have other things to do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 02:12 AM

172 posts, read 769,121 times
When people mistake your and you're. Another one that really gets me is when people mistake seen and saw.

For example:
"I seen that movie." What in the world?

Old 04-17-2008, 04:46 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,233,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailaway50 View Post
I can't explain it, but I did have an Algebra teacher in my Chicago area high school who said, "warsh". He was the only person I've ever met who said this. I believe he was from Missouri...but my father was from Missouri and did not say "warsh"; he grew up on a farm and seemed to have NO regional accent whatsoever and spoke very "proper" English. He was from Salisbury, Missouri.

Then again, there are people in Chicago who say, "dese, dem and doze" and those who don't....
Both of my parents were born in Brooklyn, NY. They both lived in Missouri as well. My mom says warsh, my dad does not.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:46 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,791,358 times
Quote:
I can't explain it, but I did have an Algebra teacher in my Chicago area high school who said, "warsh". He was the only person I've ever met who said this. I believe he was from Missouri...but my father was from Missouri and did not say "warsh"; he grew up on a farm and seemed to have NO regional accent whatsoever and spoke very "proper" English. He was from Salisbury, Missouri.
It very much depends on what part of MO you're from. North of the Missouri River--no accent. The Ozarks is twangy, but to get the real flavor of twang, you've got to go to SE Missourah.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:55 AM

58 posts, read 332,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
It very much depends on what part of MO you're from. North of the Missouri River--no accent. The Ozarks is twangy, but to get the real flavor of twang, you've got to go to SE Missourah.

No, SE Missouri is [mod cut: racial slur] Cajun accent. Northern Arkansas and Very southern Missouri is where they add r's in all thier words. I lived in both places at one time or another. Im married to a [mod cut: racial slur] Cajun.......He doesn't use r's in his words although he does have a list of other words I could complain about.

Last edited by SandyCo; 04-17-2008 at 07:05 AM..

Old 04-17-2008, 10:53 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,233,529 times
Part of my job involves editing written material, and I do get annoyed when corrections that I've made are dismissed as "taste and fancy". I made one yesterday where someone had put "which impacts upon..."

Now to me, impact shouldn't really be used as a verb. But if it was, you'd say just "...which impacts..." right?

In any case, I changed it to "...has an impact upon..." but I bet you anything it'll get branded as taste and fancy rather than a correction. The life of the pedant is a hard one...[sigh]

Old 04-21-2008, 03:38 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,736,260 times
Forte is still under debate: The Mavens' Word of the Day

My pet peeves:

--incorrect usage of to, too, two

--of there, they're, their

--of breath/breathe in print (especially by both physicians and nurses)

--the use of 'an' before words beginning with 'h' in which the 'h' is voiced and not silent. I can see it used by those with a Cockney accent--they drop their 'h's'.

--writing 'noone' instead of 'no one'

I used to work in an engineering firm as a specifications proofreader/editor. I am so accustomed to spotting errors that I unconsciously proof everything--on tv, in print, or from my children's teachers.

When my son was in kindergarten, he brought home a Halloween flyer that was handwritten by his teacher...riddled with spelling and grammatical errors ('PumpKing' for 'pumpkin' --I still can't believe it). It was SO bad I felt compelled to whip out my trusty red editing pen and correct it.

I brought it with me to our first (and only) Parent/Teacher Conference. She seemed strangely uninterested at my honest offer to volunteer in her classroom.

Still appalled that this woman was being paid to instruct children.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:11 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,779,391 times
it bugs me that I don't know when to use a semi colon. Should this even exist. Why not always use a period instead? Please educate me?

Old 04-22-2008, 08:32 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,496,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
One peeve is "warsh" in place of "wash". How in the name of all that is good, can a word with no "r" in it, all of a sudden have an "r" in it? Please, someone explain that to me.
My mom is from Pittsburgh and she says warsh, even though she's lived in California since the late 70's. She also says may -zure instead of measure, but I don't know if this is a Pittsburgh thing.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:59 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,786,608 times
Using the word "literally" to add emphasis to figurative speech really annoys me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education