Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2017, 12:32 PM

1,387 posts, read 1,070,760 times

Advertisements

Not to mention that a lot of people seem to think that this Milgram fellow is actually just a dishonest hack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 12:39 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Well, not really.

Stanford University mathematician R. James Milgram, the only member of the Validation Committee with a doctorate in mathematics, said that Common Core is two years behind the math standards in the highest-performing countries. Milgram also wrote that Common Core fails to prepare students for careers in science, technology, engineering, and math.

Milgram refused to sign off on the CC Math curricula and was removed from the Validation committee.
Possibly Phetaroi should have modified "teachers" with "elementary, middle and high school". Look at almost any school text. It will be a rare one that has any teachers of students for whom the text was developed.

So, a university professor might not have a whole lot of experience with below college instruction or students.

Old 09-27-2017, 01:49 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
If i am misunderstanding, then explain. Because from your statement as I am interpreting it, you are saying teachers were involved in creating Common Core and Common Core procedures.
Teachers were among those involved in various levels relating to Common Core standards.
However, as I understand it, state ed departments and local schools can still decide how to teach to those standards.

Furthermore, I think the argument here should be twofold.

First should a great nation have a somewhat uniform curriculum for schools? I think the answer is yes. Back in 1986 I visited some Thai schools and one question that came up in a meeting with Thai school administrators was, "What is the American curriculum for elementary and high schools?" When I told them there isn't one, that there are at least 50, their mouths literally dropped open.

Second, is what is in Common Core what should be in Common Core? And who determines that?

Unfortunately, in regard to the first issue, I have talked to many lay people who believe that Common Core is a policy that the feds are forcing states to adopt. Which is not true, as is evidenced by Oklahoma, Texas, Virginia, Alaska, Nebraska, Indiana, and South Carolina not adopting Common Core.

Old 09-27-2017, 04:03 PM

11,632 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
The teacher have more power than they realize. In states with anti-gun laws, the cops in some cases don't go door to door. Also, at the time of the month where it' s ticket time, the cops just don't do it. Of course, cops aee a LOT harder to replace than 2nd or 3rd grade teachers, so they have more of an ability to stand up for their principles. However, in the case of NYC, the UFT is VERY strong, so once a teacher makes tenure they are can only effectively be fired for criminal reasons. It is incumbent upon those teachers, as well as parents, to stand against common core.

Not any more. In the meantime, they can make the teacher's life pretty miserable for being "insubordinate."

Old 10-01-2017, 02:14 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,284,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
My son did "public school online" just for math one year. I want to say it was 6th grade. It wasn't a good fit for us at all. One of the questions was something like:

"Susan works for the cable company. She needs to find out how many televisions people on Main Street have in their homes. She goes door-to-door and writes down the number of televisions each household has. Below is the data. Would it make more sense to report the mode, median, or mean to her employer?"

Data: 2, 1, 3, 3, 2, 2, 6, 1, 1, 0, 2, 4, 3

Just... what?

Another was something like, "Liz has 8 shirts, 5 pairs of pants, 3 skirts, and 3 pairs of shoes. How many different outfits can she make? Draw a picture to show your work."

They wanted a picture of nearly 200 outfits?

I'm trying to remember if he did the whole year or just the first semester before we switched to something else and I'm not sure.
I taught statistics in university. I cringe at both questions.

Why? One the first, look at the question: "Would it make more sense?" That is not a question that can be answered definitely.

Instead the question should have been in multiple parts

a) Calculate the mean, mode, and median.
b) Explain how each of your answers in (a) might be useful to the Cable Company.

BTW--this is not a 6th grade question. The language is for high school and above.

For 6th graders, I would make it
b) If the Cable Company wants to estimate the time their cable installers will spend at a given house, which measure would be most useful?

The second question lacks important information and is again fraught with problems. Some kids use skirts over leggings which many kids see as pants. What about going barefoot?

---

The problem with Common Core is Common Core and the unnecessary complication masking as sophistication.

Good math problems have multiple parts with the understanding/interpretation and application as important extensions. Common Core tries to do everything in one step and convolutes things beyond belief.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:03 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post
I don't know a lot about the common core other than things I've heard: math is structured a whole new way that many seem to not like, and it can be so much tedious content that is can limit teacher's ability to be creative and inspire.

Anyway, I'm curious to learn more and how people on here feel about it.
Given they don't actually test kids on the common core standards nothing is limited WRT teaching. IF they did test kids on the standards (ie exit exams so all standards would be tested) then that would ensure that everyone was trying to teach the standards. Since they don't, I doubt they are.

I really can't figure out education standards. Why bother writing them if you don't test them? A principal once told me that he doesn't care about standards because the good teachers are already teaching them and the bad ones don't care that they're even there. I looked at common core when it came out, verified that I'm already teaching it and pretty much never thought about it again. IMO they're common sense standards except for a couple of things like transformations and constructions which are kind of unnecessary when you can do them on a computer without ever knowing how to actually use a compass or a triangle.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:38 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,284,608 times
Note: as you advance from Geometry to Algebra 2 to Trig to Pre Calc to Calc, the difference between the Common Core curriculum and a good non-Common Core class goes to zero in the limit.

Old 10-02-2017, 08:19 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Given they don't actually test kids on the common core standards nothing is limited WRT teaching. IF they did test kids on the standards (ie exit exams so all standards would be tested) then that would ensure that everyone was trying to teach the standards. Since they don't, I doubt they are.

I really can't figure out education standards. Why bother writing them if you don't test them? A principal once told me that he doesn't care about standards because the good teachers are already teaching them and the bad ones don't care that they're even there. I looked at common core when it came out, verified that I'm already teaching it and pretty much never thought about it again. IMO they're common sense standards except for a couple of things like transformations and constructions which are kind of unnecessary when you can do them on a computer without ever knowing how to actually use a compass or a triangle.
Here our standardized tests reflect the common core standards.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:13 AM

75 posts, read 81,693 times
Default Test results

Here is a test report from a large and diverse student group. Everyone is improving. Closing the achievement gap is mission impossible.
Attached Thumbnails
Common Core - Good or Bad?-score-race.jpg  

Old 10-05-2017, 01:02 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,956,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Here our standardized tests reflect the common core standards.
Our standardized tests also reflect CC standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education