Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 08:54 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,541,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
What is standard English? Listening to people from various places I see no evidence of standardization.
Standardization: correct spelling, correct grammar: having the knowledge of and properly building basic sentences-
(The eight parts of speech — verbs, nouns, pronouns, adverbs, adjectives, prepositions, conjunctions, and interjections)

Standardization is what the English language is based upon. Changing it because you are in one of those "various places" where they don't use proper English dumbs down the whole language and that, to me, is very sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2017, 09:00 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,649,676 times
I guess we'll never know about the adverb/adjective switch-up.

Old 10-14-2017, 09:30 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,895,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oramasfella View Post
"Speaking English well" "proper English" "correct English"...all fallacies.
As someone who recruits/hires individuals frequently, I can assure you that the ability to use correct English and good grammar are abilities which are valued by employers.

I personally don't see it as an unforgivable sin if someone misspells a word or commits a few grammar faux pas but I've seen other HR managers and recruiters put a resume in the "no" pile for these reasons.

Old 10-14-2017, 11:05 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,083,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Standardization: correct spelling, correct grammar: having the knowledge of and properly building basic sentences-
(The eight parts of speech — verbs, nouns, pronouns, adverbs, adjectives, prepositions, conjunctions, and interjections)

Standardization is what the English language is based upon. Changing it because you are in one of those "various places" where they don't use proper English dumbs down the whole language and that, to me, is very sad.
And where exactly do people speak proper english in your estimation?

Old 10-15-2017, 05:37 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I don't think a teacher does students any favors by deliberately using nonstandard English.
I agree with this and it remains a debate I frequently get into with other educators. I had a teacher of another race accuse me of not understanding the needs of black students because I made them use standard English, it took everything I had not to use a little non-standard English on her as I explained my viewpoint of the subject as someone who raised her own black students and was a black student herself at one time. When someone speaks non-standard English they are automatically adjudged less intelligent than a person who speaks correctly and if both are applying for a job the one that speaks better will get it unless there is something just glaringly wrong with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
That is probably a good teaching tool but casually those who can not converse in the vernacular, or worse, those who are constantly judgemental of economic, racial and geographical minorities quickly become insufferable.
Yes, it does. As much as I think teachers have an obligation to correct students in school they shouldn't correct anyone other than their own children outside of school. I can't stand people who stick on their superiority cloak and correct other adults for errors of no consequence, whether it is speech or messing up the retelling of an event slightly.

Old 10-15-2017, 06:20 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,459,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I guess we'll never know about the adverb/adjective switch-up.
Examples of using adjectives instead of adverbs.

Your son speaks good. (well)

That water tastes horrible. (horribly)

Old 10-15-2017, 06:26 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,459,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Yes, it does. As much as I think teachers have an obligation to correct students in school they shouldn't correct anyone other than their own children outside of school. I can't stand people who stick on their superiority cloak and correct other adults for errors of no consequence, whether it is speech or messing up the retelling of an event slightly.
Here's the source of a major problem, most of the teachers over here don't seem to be correcting the students. They're not correcting them in their speech and their not correcting them in their written papers. Plus, at least at the elementary school level, they often don't have textbooks because they are being taught via worksheets. At the middle school level, the textbooks are probably online.

Old 10-15-2017, 06:33 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,071,473 times
Immersion can be a valuable tool in language instruction, and a facility in standard English is certainly an important skill to have. But student-teacher communication is also important, so dialogues in other languages and dialects are often quite appropriate.

Old 10-15-2017, 06:37 AM

37,111 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compSciGuy View Post
Examples of using adjectives instead of adverbs.

Your son speaks good. (well)

That water tastes horrible. (horribly)
I believe your water tastes horrible, not horribly.

Old 10-15-2017, 06:37 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,071,473 times
Quote:
Here's the source of a major problem, most of the teachers over here don't seem to be correcting the students. They're not correcting them in their speech and their not correcting them in their written papers.
What evidence served as the basis for this claim?

Quote:
Plus, at least at the elementary school level, they often don't have textbooks because they are being taught via worksheets. At the middle school level, the textbooks are probably online.
Support higher school taxes so that more expensive textbooks can be purchased and provided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education