Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 10:40 AM

1,011 posts, read 2,466,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
I agree with you the teachers' job is to teach their students properly; and when they see the students doing wrong in reading, writing or speaking, they need to correct them. But nowadays, many people, old and young, parents and children are very "sensitive"; they feel offended when someone to correct them. Thus, it's very hard for the teachers to do their job.

By the way, the their above should be they're.

And your two examples:

1. Your son speaks good. (well) is right because "well" (is an adverb) to describe the verb "speak" -

2. That water tastes horrible. (horribly), I believe horrible is right, not horribly, because horrible (is an adjective) in this sentence serves to describe the water (a noun) or the taste of the water (a noun also) - horrible water or horrible taste of the water.

In example #1, the son (a person) speaks (English, Spanish, French... ) well.
In example #2, that water (thing or liquid) tastes (what?). Therefore, it should be an adjective to describe the noun (water or the taste).
I made a typo with "their", my mistake.

I guess for #2, I'm overcorrecting and not thinking.

My eldest daughter is in 6th grade and when she was in 5th, they had a "Getting ready for middle school night". All the classes had booths where they had examples of the students' work, and I noticed a paper for "Language Arts" and it just had a grade; I asked my daughter how are the students supposed to correct what they did incorrectly if there are no comments. She said, that it's common, and the kids are often told things like "figure it out yourself" if they ask questions. So, I bought some grammar books (3rd - 6th grade) and quickly went over the material with my eldest daughter over the summer and the end of her 5th-grade year.

My daughter is in the GT-program, so for her advanced English class, the teacher gave the kids a basic grammar test (my daughter said was easier than the 3rd-grade material that I went over with her), and my daughter said the class average was 45, and that was higher than the other classes of GT students. The score wasn't counted because the kids did so poorly.

By the way, these (my daughters' elementary and middle schools) are some of the "top" schools in the state (at least by scores and reputation). I am wondering, are these kids just supposed to learn grammar by going to their expensive SAT/ACT prep in college? There are quite a few academic enrichment programs in the area, and they (for the most part) do correct the students' work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2017, 10:43 AM

45,519 posts, read 60,760,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compSciGuy View Post

My eldest daughter is in 6th grade and when she was in 5th, they had a "Getting ready for middle school night". All the classes had booths where they had examples of the students' work, and I noticed a paper for "Language Arts" and it just had a grade; I asked my daughter how are the students supposed to correct what they did incorrectly if there are no comments. She said, that it's common, and the kids are often told things like "figure it out yourself" if they ask questions. So, I bought some grammar books (3rd - 6th grade) and quickly went over the material with my eldest daughter over the summer and the end of her 5th-grade year.

My daughter is in the GT-program, so for her advanced English class, the teacher gave the kids a basic grammar test (my daughter said was easier than the 3rd-grade material that I went over with her), and my daughter said the class average was 45, and that was higher than the other classes of GT students. The score wasn't counted because the kids did so poorly.

By the way, these (my daughters' elementary and middle schools) are some of the "top" schools in the state (at least by scores and reputation). I am wondering, are these kids just supposed to learn grammar by going to their expensive SAT/ACT prep in college? There are quite a few academic enrichment programs in the area, and they (for the most part) do correct the students' work.
Here's the deal, grammar went away for at least a generation of prospective teachers. Remember what I said about holistic grading?

It's just now beginning to make a comeback.

Old 10-15-2017, 11:29 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,075,313 times
A century of research shows that traditional grammar lessons -- those hours spent diagramming sentences and memorizing parts of speech -- don’t help and may even hinder students’ efforts to become better writers. Yes, they need to learn grammar, but the old-fashioned way does not work.

The Wrong Way to Teach Grammar

Old 10-15-2017, 11:36 AM

26,777 posts, read 26,907,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I believe your water tastes horrible, not horribly.
Yes, and let's not even get into She feels badly. (She feels bad.) And I have heard more than one educator say the former.

Old 10-15-2017, 11:41 AM

10,918 posts, read 7,437,405 times
On the changeable sign outside our local elementary school:
"Strive for less than 5 absenses."

FEWER, and ABSENCES!

Old 10-15-2017, 11:42 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,763,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I agree with this and it remains a debate I frequently get into with other educators. I had a teacher of another race accuse me of not understanding the needs of black students because I made them use standard English, it took everything I had not to use a little non-standard English on her as I explained my viewpoint of the subject as someone who raised her own black students and was a black student herself at one time. When someone speaks non-standard English they are automatically adjudged less intelligent than a person who speaks correctly and if both are applying for a job the one that speaks better will get it unless there is something just glaringly wrong with them.

Yes, it does. As much as I think teachers have an obligation to correct students in school they shouldn't correct anyone other than their own children outside of school. I can't stand people who stick on their superiority cloak and correct other adults for errors of no consequence, whether it is speech or messing up the retelling of an event slightly.
But not all teachers are viewed the same. Having once been a white teacher in a primarily minority district, students already see me as "other". Being able to switch back and forth between slang vs more correct grammar made me more relatable to many of my students. I think many people are unaware how many, if not most, children are able to code switch back and forth, and there is nothing wrong with that. There is a true skill in being able to speak to your audience, and teachers have to weight that skill, against the need to connect.

Old 10-15-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Examples of using adjectives instead of adverbs.

Your son speaks good. (well)

That water tastes horrible. (horribly)
I am definitely guilty of the later. If you think that means I should not be your child's teacher feel free to take a different elective.

Old 10-15-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:

Typos, by their very definition are mistakes in typing, you made a mistake in grammar. One we all make occasionally, or something similar.

As for using "horribly" instead of horrible, why is your mistake "overcorrecting and not thinking" and everyone else's similar mistakes "modifying their speech to use incorrect grammar"?

Old 10-15-2017, 12:19 PM

13,290 posts, read 8,484,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
That is probably a good teaching tool but casually those who can not converse in the vernacular, or worse, those who are constantly judgemental of economic, racial and geographical minorities quickly become insufferable.
I do appreciate your views...Can you kindly transcribe this another way? Not sure I am getting the true context of your message here.

Old 10-15-2017, 12:32 PM

102,246 posts, read 108,166,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
My son teaches 7th grade English. He will not disrespect the language that has inspired him to author books. His students are given little leniency in composition or pronunciation. He will guide them by using examples of their 'slang' to get a point across. Context.
Otherwise most of his colleagues regard his knowledge and usage as a living example.
I often dread conversations with him as he will correct a sentence. Most times I get a free mom pass since I helped raise him to respect to his elders.
So, he teaches composition, and the grammar concepts involved? His students are very lucky. I find it cryptic, ultimately sad, that his own colleagues don't speak correctly...? Why would he stand out in his English usage? Is speaking with correct grammar really that rare? Even among teachers?! If so, that's scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education