Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2017, 08:17 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,800,894 times

Advertisements

Im talking about real homeschoolers, no online/you wish you could/your aunts cousin did it.

If your state gives you the option to be your own assessor for end of the school year assessment ( written narrative/testing/alternative): WHAT did you write to your Superintendent to ask for permission to do so?
My state's law doesnt go into how to ask or who it can/cant be.

**and no im NOT looking for a debate on homeschooling or not.
ETA: yes i have tried asking other homeschoolers and people that are their own assessors are tight lipped about it for some reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 11:48 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,560 posts, read 57,481,475 times
Look to homeschool associations in your state or region. (Ours were GREAT, usually staffed by public school teachers who homeschooled their own kids by night, thus quite knowledgeable of state regs.)

Ohio Homeschool Assessments
https://peachhomeschool.org/forms-download/

https://schoolmarmohio.com/tag/ohio-...g-assessments/
TAG ARCHIVE | OHIO HOMESCHOOLING ASSESSMENTS
6 Things to know about Portfolio Reviews
May
A portfolio review, also known as a written narrative, is one option to meet the homeschool requirements in Ohio. As the end of the school year approaches, I have families contact me about what a portfolio review entails. Below you will find six questions that I am asked frequently by homeschool families.

1.Does a state certified teacher need to look at my child’s work? Yes, this is one of the requirements and the teacher must be licensed in Ohio, not another state.

2. What is the assessor looking for when they review my student’s work? They are looking to see that progress has been made for the academic work that is in accordance with their abilities. No other test is given nor is your child compared to other students.

3. What subjects will I need to show samples of to the assessor? The following are requirements that the state says we must cover each year according to the Home Education Notification Form.

Language Arts
Mathematics
Social studies
Science
Heath
Fine Arts (music, art)
Health
First Aid, Safety, Fire Prevention

4. What kinds of work samples do I include for a written narrative? Here are some ways that you can document work that has been completed:

Workbooks or workbook pages
Projects- Whether that is for science, social studies, art,etc., these would all be acceptable for samples. If projects are too large to take with you to your appointment, you can always take photos of what your student has done to show your assessor.
Writing samples of your pupil help the teacher see the progress that has been made throughout the year in the area of language arts. Cards, journal entries, poems, reports, outlines and essays are all considered examples of writing for language arts. If your little one is just beginning to write, then show samples of letter formation and printing.
Reading lists of book titles help a teacher to see the progress that has been made if you have an early reader (grades K-3). If you don’t have a complete list, that is fine, just write ten titles of books that have been read from the beginning of the year to the end. For instance, they began with Bob Books and are now reading easy readers. What level are they currently reading and can you list several titles?
Field trips are great ways to show fine arts, science and social studies because many of the places visited are related in some aspect to these academic areas. You can include the program from the play you saw, a map of the zoo, or pictures of the activity your child was participating in when you went to the museum or attended a community program.
5. We did quite a bit of our schoolwork orally, how do I show that? You can write a list of what topics you studied and how you determined understanding/ mastery of what you taught. If you use a whiteboard for school, take some pictures of the work so you have documentation to show.

6. We use a curriculum that is on the computer, how do I show my student’s progress? Can you print off grades or did your student receive a certificate of accomplishment for the course or activity? This will show that your child has completed the work.

Do you have a question that I didn’t address about portfolio reviews? Please write a comment and I will be glad to answer it.

If you are in need of an assessor, I will be happy to review your student’s work. Please email me,

Old 10-20-2017, 05:52 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,681,138 times
In Florida, it can be any certified teacher. It looks like it's the same in Ohio? Our county has a form for them to fill out. Have you checked whether your district has a recommended format? I believe that a parent doing his or her own child's assessment is likely opening themselves for additional scrutiny by the superintendent, though... I'd get a friend/colleague who is a certified teacher to do it. (I'm assuming that if you're a teacher, you must know other teachers.)

Old 10-26-2017, 09:13 AM

924 posts, read 1,663,802 times
I did both. I had my daughter take the Stanford Achievement Test through a company called Triangle Assessments and then I submitted those scores, records of all her work, a few writing samples and a list of materials used (all mainstream curriculum used by the public and private schools around here) to a certified teacher. He reviewed it, signed her report cards and transcript and wrote up a brief statement that she was more than adequately prepared for advancement to 9th grade.

Really, I didn't try to reinvent the wheel. I just had her do at home what she would have been doing in school until she was emotionally ready to re-enter regular school in 9th grade. Her first year of middle school was not kind to her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education