Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 09:18 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,043,731 times

Advertisements

My child's middle school (grades 6-8) doesn't offer parent-teacher conferences, either. I was kind of surprised as well. We can request one, if there's some specific concern, but I don't have anything in particular to discuss and so I haven't done so. I always liked them in elementary school, though, to get a better feel for the teacher's personality and perception of my child, as well as find out more about what's going on in the classroom.

In the middle school, there's an open house in the evening, about two weeks into the school year, where we got to walk around to all the classes and the teacher would address a roomful of parents about how they run their class, expectations, etc. I didn't speak personally to any of the individual teachers, as there were too many people and no room for privacy.

We do have access to their grades and progress online, so I suppose there's less to talk about, when everything is apparently going well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2017, 01:58 PM

50,777 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardust05 View Post
Hello everyone,

My son is currently in the 6th grade. Starting in the 5th grade, his school started posting messages on their website requesting for parents to not make any appointments for teacher conferences unless the teacher requested one or the student is having issues in the school. My son is a straight A student with no issues in the school. So I haven't met any of his teachers last year. It seems we have the same policy this year. I feel somehow short changed because I haven't met any of his teachers last year and again this year. Even if my kid doesn't have any issues, I still would like to get to know his teachers and hear their observations about my child (I find them helpful). Is this normal? I always thought fall parent-teacher conferences were the norm in every school. It doesn't feel right that I don't know any of his teachers. Should I just ignore the message and make an appointment anyway?
As a former teacher and retired administrator, I personally think it's unreasonable.

When I go to my doctor, the office call (without any procedures) is $120. So I don't go just to chat.

As a teacher I had an average of about 125 students. How would I have had time to meet with the parents who really needed a meeting PLUS those who children were getting A's and B's? I was busy teaching, lesson planning, grading papers, attending required meetings.

I'm sorry, you should just feel blessed to have a A student with no concerns.

Having said all that, I never refused a parent a conference when requested.

Old 10-23-2017, 04:08 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,726,340 times
Quote:
Hello everyone,

My son is currently in the 6th grade. Starting in the 5th grade, his school started posting messages on their website requesting for parents to not make any appointments for teacher conferences unless the teacher requested one or the student is having issues in the school. My son is a straight A student with no issues in the school. So I haven't met any of his teachers last year. It seems we have the same policy this year. I feel somehow short changed because I haven't met any of his teachers last year and again this year. Even if my kid doesn't have any issues, I still would like to get to know his teachers and hear their observations about my child (I find them helpful). Is this normal? I always thought fall parent-teacher conferences were the norm in every school. It doesn't feel right that I don't know any of his teachers. Should I just ignore the message and make an appointment anyway?
The vast majority of planned days for parent teacher conferences are a waste of time. For the parent, and the teacher. Thankfully my district has also gotten rid of them.

Most schools still have back to school night where you can meet the teacher to the degree that you can put a name to the face and introduce yourself. Maybe ask your school to institute one of those instead.

To be blunt, no news is good news and most teachers in middle school and beyond have well over a hundred students if not more. Assuming they met with every parent for only half an hour that would literally take weeks. Does that seem like a good use of their time?

Old 10-23-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Not acceptable. As a parent, you absolutely have the right to request a conference. Bizarre that they're discouraging it. I'd ignore the request and make appointments anyway.
To talk about what?

We are talking about an academically successful student with no problems.

Old 10-23-2017, 05:31 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,554,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
It sounds like the district is just being cheap. If teachers are going to come in extra in the evenings, they have to get paid for that time or it has to be considered when the teachers' contracts are negotiated.
Do you really think that we get paid for those evening events?

Old 10-23-2017, 11:19 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,096,551 times
Quote:
Hello everyone,

I’m not a teacher. So those who are, please feel free to correct me.

I believe that one thing your son’s school is trying to do, is to give priority to parents of underachieving students, as that may be the only opportunity to engage these parents all year?

Typically, parents of straight A students in our district are familiar to schools, teachers, administrators, extra-curricular activities & even each other from very early on in the school year. At my son’s middle school there have been 2 parent information nights, open house night & 2 fundraising activities. I requested & received, a conference with teachers & administrators during the first week.

My youngest son is not a straight A student. In fact, he is a SPED with severe needs, student, in a district where 50% of students qualify for free/reduced lunch. His twin 16 year old sisters, however, are all Honors/AP course students involved in music, arts & stem/robotics & have had open house, band fundraiser, robotics fundraiser, robotics parents night meeting, robotics barbecue, west side community day, etc ...

And this week: PT conferences. Luckily, all parents of all students are encouraged to attend but if they were in position where they had to prioritize? I would stay out of the way during this “crunch” time. They are likely trying to interact with parents of struggling students, who don’t even bother to check their kids backpack for forms, half the time.

And after the air clears? Walk your son in to class one morning to say “hi, I’m mom ... so glad I got to meet you & feel free to call ...” Or at the end of the day. Sign up to chaperone a field trip. Staple papers ... volunteer for school dance duty? This is literally the only time in the whole year they can’t accomodate you but the rest of the year schools beg for parents to be involved.

Old 10-24-2017, 05:03 AM

Op I just saw your post about wanting feedback on his socialization. Your son is likely moving from class to class with different teachers for different subjects for a good part of the day, recess is no longer monitored by the classroom teacher, and lunch is likely in a large cafeteria. The amount of insight most teachers will have of that students socialization will be minimal. This is a natural shift as students get older, and unless there is an obvious and negative problem, they likely will have little of import to say. And if it is obvious and negative they would have already contacted you.

If you are really that concerned with the socialization of a preteen who is not expressing any issues maybe call the guidance counselors and they can speak to him about this outside of class time.

Old 10-28-2017, 09:55 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,698,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
Do you really think that we get paid for those evening events?
I always did. Always! Even when I worked in private schools. It was either part of the annual contract or additional per session pay. If you have an annual contract, that might be built into your salary. What happens if you don't show up? Would you be docked or have to give up a sick or personal day?

Old 10-28-2017, 10:59 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,595,511 times
Quote:
I always did. Always! Even when I worked in private schools. It was either part of the annual contract or additional per session pay. If you have an annual contract, that might be built into your salary. What happens if you don't show up? Would you be docked or have to give up a sick or personal day?
If we're told to go and we don't we're breaking our contract. It could be grounds for dismissal.

Old 10-29-2017, 11:16 AM

50,777 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
You were very fortunate. In 33 years, I never got paid for chaperoning or otherwise attending (as a requirement) any type of school event, even when it was during the evening or on weekends. Clubs I sponsored, I never got paid for with one exception. I was paid a stipend for being an assistant wrestling coach for 2 years, and after I finished up I figured it out...it paid me approximately 7 cents an hour. Even when I would chaperone day-long field trips that went beyond regular school hours, we wouldn't even get our meals paid for by the school system. Get paid for something beyond contract? The pay was suck it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education