Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2017, 09:33 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,050,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I suppose we all should ignore BLS and other legitimate sources of data, and instead believe some random YouTube mavens & their rants.
Times are changing. What worked for people 30 years ago isn't working today and likely won't in the future. College enrollment is actually declining this year which is the first time that has happened since WWII.

The anti-White, anti-Male nonsense isn't helping with enrollment either.

Old 10-29-2017, 06:56 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,071,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Nothing of the sort was demonstrated. If you believe otherwise, post up a quote or reference the post number.
All you posted was a grade school song of the self. I did this. I did that. I did the other thing. Yada, yada, yada. All on a road to nowhere.

Your claim after all was that "For every person that majored on liberal arts that ended up as a Director of Marketing, I can show you 100 that ended up working at Starbucks as a barista." You in fact cannot do that, as you have demonstrated twice now. The claim was just a moment's stretch of exaggeration and hyperbole and can't now be dressed up as having been much of anything else.

Old 10-29-2017, 06:59 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times
There needs to a be numerous post-secondary learning opportunities to match one's skills, interests, and motivations. They shouldn't all be rolled into a college. The fact is that too many have which has increased the time and cost required to complete the program shutting out many potential learners from pursuing their interests.

Bloomberg recently had a piece discussing that college requirements from employers for jobs that traditionally did not require a college degree such as many process manufacturers. This has had adverse effects on employment from both a potential employee and employer point-of-view. Many of the positions remain unfilled because those interested do not have the money to get the prerequisite degrees. The employer must pay more for the position because they are requiring a degree but the higher pay adds cost yet does not retain the employees because the pay isn't as high as fields that truly require a college degree. In fact, only 1 in 6 of those who rose to management level within these companies had a college degree when they were hired yet now they themselves require it of new employees. Most of the managers had taken advantage of quality in-house training programs at the company or competitors to rise to management level as experience coupled with applied learning provided all that was necessary to perform their job at a high level.

Old 10-29-2017, 07:09 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
Times are changing. What worked for people 30 years ago isn't working today and likely won't in the future. College enrollment is actually declining this year which is the first time that has happened since WWII.

The anti-White, anti-Male nonsense isn't helping with enrollment either.
I suspect anyone who subscribes to such a theory and uses such language wouldn't have been going to college anyway.

Old 10-29-2017, 07:14 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,071,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I suppose we all should ignore BLS and other legitimate sources of data, and instead believe some random YouTube mavens & their rants.
That's the way of the populist world alright. The less connected to any sort of seriousness, the better.

And just to note, recent declines in college enrollment are merely a reversal of trends to remain in or return to school that characterized the worse than weak job markets that prevailed during and following the Great Recession.

Old 10-29-2017, 08:14 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Many jobs do not require a degree and many jobs don't pay enough to warrant getting one if you have to take out massive loans.

Old 10-29-2017, 08:21 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Many jobs do not require a degree and many jobs don't pay enough to warrant getting one if you have to take out massive loans.
^^^The bottom line.^^^

Old 10-29-2017, 08:28 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
^^^The bottom line.^^^
Unfortunately, teaching has become one of the jobs that isn't worth going into debt for. I'm glad I was able to pay cash for my degree in teaching but there's no way I could handle student debt and live on my salary after 10 years of teaching
You have to use logic when deciding if a degree is worth it. I know a degree is about more than just a job but that doesn't do you any good if the degree leads to a job that won't let you pay the bills. I never thought I'd be barely making $40k after 10 years of teaching with two masters degrees. Financially, I could have done much better getting an MBA instead of an MAT.

I'm fortunate in that I had saved enough in my IRA during my former career that I don't have to save now and can dip into it to make ends meet but many don't have that luxury. To them I'd say get the MBA because it will pay for itself. The teaching degree won't.

Old 10-29-2017, 09:08 AM

1,594 posts, read 1,411,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Many years ago I had a sales manager tell me that he "liked for his salesmen to be in debt. It made them hustle."

Do you suppose that corporations like their new hires to be in debt also, right out of school? It does not matter to them is some of them do not get hired.

If you look at the system as an Economic Power Game, it makes sense.

Old 10-29-2017, 09:18 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
I have one finishing a degree in Computer Science (son) and another in Engineering (daughter). I cannot even imagine having encouraged them not to go to university. I'm sitting here with my daughter right now watching her plan out her next two years of coursework to ensure she finishes on time. My kids are the fourth generation of college-educated family members. We are very pro-education and started saving when they were each born, so they would not be held back from fulfilling their potential by financial concerns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education