Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 08:22 PM

5,459 posts, read 3,908,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I accept people as they are.

BUT, I would prefer to deal with people who a basic education and intelligence.

When I go to the grocery store I would like a produce manager who doesn't explain that the reason his store doesn't have decent mushrooms is because it's hard to grow them outdoors when there's snow on the ground. I would like the guy in the deli department not to be totally confused when I saw I would like "8 ounces" of potato salad, instead of saying "a half pound". I would like the girl at the checkout counter to be able to actually count the change, instead of cheating me because she's so dumb...or to know that "a half dollar" is the same as "fifty cents".
These things are trivial, though.

Old 11-18-2017, 11:20 PM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
These things are trivial, though.
Yes, and the was my intent, because they are examples of what once was "every day knowledge" that now totally eludes millions of people. If we can't produce adult citizens that know "trivial" stuff like that, then we can't worry about really important stuff.

Furthermore, you'll note that the examples I gave are people who can't do their jobs properly. Since you claim to be so sophisticated, I'd think you'd be able to transfer the concept of competence to all work settings.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:06 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Closed for mod review. Yeah, we do play nice on this forum. Reviewed, this thread will stay closed as the conversation has veered off in to jobs and general talk about being educated, not dealing with schools per se

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 11-19-2017 at 07:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education