Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2018, 05:59 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP2C View Post
When I was a kid in NY they made us leave 2 hours early when the temperature was below freezing..three if it was snowing
As someone who's lived in several regions in New York, I'm curious...where was this? It makes absolutely no sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 07:30 PM

1,149 posts, read 934,439 times
Thank you! I think it is ignorant. Since this generation is so entitled, guess they cannot function in the cold. Give me a break.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:59 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jteskal View Post
Thank you! I think it is ignorant. Since this generation is so entitled, guess they cannot function in the cold. Give me a break.
This generation? School delays and cancelations have been going on for decades. I grew up with them and I'm in my 40's. My mom and dad had them and they're in their 60's. This isn't anything new.

It's probably become more common today because of lawsuits and budget issues. I know several school districts who had children and teachers die because of the weather. We used to joke about one school in particular until we were told that 7 kids died in a bus accident on the approach to the school.

That school sits on top of a massive hill and the area is well known for horrible weather. Once we found out about the children dying, we stopped making jokes and realized that could be us because our school also sat on top of a nasty, windy hill. Oh and that bus accident was in the 1970's. Right after that accident, they started closing much more often. Risking lives wasn't worth it. Imagine that!

Old 01-06-2018, 08:23 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,256,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso Gil View Post
If a school district is facing bankruptcy because they have to pay bus drivers an extra two hours once every five years to start up a bus in the cold, then the school is being run very poorly. Of course that doesn't surprise me given that it's government run. They manage to waste money at a rate of 1000 times that and voters will usually approve giving them even MORE money because the schools "need" to waste more money on all kinds of stupid stuff. I always vote NO to giving schools more money because it is guaranteed to be wasted.
Around here the schools don't own their own fleet of buses.

They are contracted from private companies.

Old 01-06-2018, 09:34 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
Around here the schools don't own their own fleet of buses.

They are contracted from private companies.
It varies, here.

Urban districts tend to contract with bus companies. Small rural districts tend to maintain their own bus fleets.

Old 01-06-2018, 09:38 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
This generation? School delays and cancelations have been going on for decades. I grew up with them and I'm in my 40's. My mom and dad had them and they're in their 60's. This isn't anything new.

It's probably become more common today because of lawsuits and budget issues. I know several school districts who had children and teachers die because of the weather. We used to joke about one school in particular until we were told that 7 kids died in a bus accident on the approach to the school.

That school sits on top of a massive hill and the area is well known for horrible weather. Once we found out about the children dying, we stopped making jokes and realized that could be us because our school also sat on top of a nasty, windy hill. Oh and that bus accident was in the 1970's. Right after that accident, they started closing much more often. Risking lives wasn't worth it. Imagine that!
Certainly individual circumstances have to be taken into account.

Old 01-06-2018, 11:04 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,256,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
It varies, here.

Urban districts tend to contract with bus companies. Small rural districts tend to maintain their own bus fleets.
Exactly.

Nothing is the same for all.

When my kids were in Catholic school there were years that we didn't know if the school was going to get a bussing company to take their bid. They always managed to pull through, somehow, but our school was last on the list to be "catered" to.

Old 01-07-2018, 12:11 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
My district growing up never late openned, if it was too bad, it was closed and stayed closed but it wouldn't close unless it real bad, even if other districts were open...

Old 01-07-2018, 01:35 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
safety
Ease congestion (of roads...)
Not to delay the WORKERS getting to their jobs on time... (wage earning taxpayers)
allow for THAW (in our area.. happens after sun-up)
Visibility (kids not outside standing in the dark (beside slick roads))
Complicate schedules (for parents that use School for daycare)

It's not the kids that are entitled...

Old 01-07-2018, 07:21 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,652,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
As someone who's lived in several regions in New York, I'm curious...where was this? It makes absolutely no sense.
Didn't the "smiley-face" and content itself imply "joking"? Either your reply was also joking or you are thinking very concretely, so to clarify...

No, I didn't actually leave 2 hours early in the cold or even earlier in the snow. School was regular time or closed. The regions I refer to are: Brooklyn and Suffolk County (consecutively,not simultaneously).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education