Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 10:03 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,645,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbiswas View Post
Thanks to all who responded. I am leaning towards saving the score as most colleges use super score (where the highest scored sections are taken from multiple SAT scores)

BTW, It is the same SAT test that the high school students take. My son took the test along with college bound students.
Also, I like the idea of contacting the middle school counselor to get their opinion as suggested by ClaraC.
Sorry I wouldn't allow my kids to take it although it was recommended,why? I let my kids be kids ,no need to a 7th grader to worry about college yet. Best decision I made ....they all had great SAT scores when they took the test later on an all got into the schools they wanted,not what Mom or Dad wanted,how about that,huh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 10:12 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
not what Mom or Dad wanted,how about that,huh.
Funny, mine were excited about taking the SAT, along with many of their friends. They thought it was cool do be doing 'grown up' stuff with high school kids.

Old 01-06-2018, 10:38 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,645,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Funny, mine were excited about taking the SAT, along with many of their friends. They thought it was cool do be doing 'grown up' stuff with high school kids.
So were we but it's not about what (Mom and Dad)wanted is it? Plenty of time to do grown up stuff ,you know ,when the're grown up.

Old 01-06-2018, 11:16 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Well yeah, no worries there. If he takes the test again when older and (very likely) does better in the R/W, the newer score replaces the old one, right? My kid took SAT as an 11th and 12th grader without any prep, which seems standard around here. Kids that score 800 on the math, as ours did , are not likely going to drop much, if any, in that category on subsequent tests.

7th graders taking SAT? Good gracious...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
There has been a program called the Northwestern University Midwestern Academic Talent Search (NUMATS) offering ACT/SAT testing opportunities to middle school students for at least two decades. It's supposed to be a low-pressure opportunity for high-ability students to see what the test is like and to see just where they stand (since most state assessments don't test above grade-level material). NUMATS offers comprehensive information to students on their scores as well as enrichment and extension programs to supplement local academic offerings.
The Northwestern Program was the one my kids were involved in in Illinois. There is also the Duke Tip academic talent search which is the one my granddaughter has been involved in here in Texas. Tip started in 1980, NUMATS may have started earlier.

https://tip.duke.edu/

https://tip.duke.edu/about-duke-tip

Old 01-06-2018, 08:39 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,365,168 times
My 7th grader will take the ACT next month for Duke TIP.

Old 01-08-2018, 10:13 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
I do not see it would be of any use to keep it. What college is going to care what a student did in 7th grade? That tells them nothing about the student's current capabilities.

While very good and impressive, I am not sure that is a stunningly great score anyway. My son got a 1330 then re-took the SAT and got 1490. He was disappointed. Most of the better schools look at you for scholarships only above 1500. He was deferred admission at our State's flagship engineering school with a 1490 and a 3.89/4.0 GPA, plus a plethora of AP credits and some professional trumpet playing experience (they like to see something special in extra circulars). Still not good enough to get accepted. His friends who are getting accepted everywhere and getting academic scholarships at many schools all have 1500 plus scores. It seems you need something over 1500 for it to become a ticket. My son has been offered smaller scholarship (e.g. $7,000/year), so it helps, but the big time school admissions or full ride scholarships at lesser schools seems to require more than 1490.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:46 PM

331 posts, read 369,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
How frequent/intense are these sessions? What do you include? What level of math are these students currently taking in 7th and 8th grade?

Just curious how other schools prepare students since a few of mine will be taking the ACT in April.
We offer to the 7th and 8th graders in our feeder schools (I'm at a Catholic high school). It was 4 Saturdays: Algebra 1, Geometry/Stats, Algebra 2, and the final week was a practice test. We do it for 2 hours each session. The kids pay $25 and we all take turns doing a week. This year we had 65 students sign up and 8 teachers participated. We add up the total and divide by how many teachers there are. This year we each got about $200 for 2 hours of work. It's a pretty sweet deal. Plus, it's fun to interact with our potential students coming up in to the high school in the coming years.

The majority of the students who come are 8th grade and most have Algebra 1. Two of our largest feeder schools are now doing Alg. 2 in 8th grade.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I do not see it would be of any use to keep it. What college is going to care what a student did in 7th grade? That tells them nothing about the student's current capabilities.

While very good and impressive, I am not sure that is a stunningly great score anyway. My son got a 1330 then re-took the SAT and got 1490. He was disappointed. Most of the better schools look at you for scholarships only above 1500. He was deferred admission at our State's flagship engineering school with a 1490 and a 3.89/4.0 GPA, plus a plethora of AP credits and some professional trumpet playing experience (they like to see something special in extra circulars). Still not good enough to get accepted. His friends who are getting accepted everywhere and getting academic scholarships at many schools all have 1500 plus scores. It seems you need something over 1500 for it to become a ticket. My son has been offered smaller scholarship (e.g. $7,000/year), so it helps, but the big time school admissions or full ride scholarships at lesser schools seems to require more than 1490.
A 1300 score for a 7th grader is pretty damn impressive.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:14 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
A 1300 score for a 7th grader is pretty damn impressive.
It is impressive - as i said (you missed that part maybe?) But there is no reason to keep it. Colleges will not care and it is not impressive to colleges at the high school level. Unless he is going to try to apply to college in 7th grade, it is a nice pat on the back, says something about him as of today, but it really does not help him at all. (Other than maybe an ego boost/motivator).

Old 01-09-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
It is impressive - as i said (you missed that part maybe?) But there is no reason to keep it. Colleges will not care and it is not impressive to colleges at the high school level. Unless he is going to try to apply to college in 7th grade, it is a nice pat on the back, says something about him as of today, but it really does not help him at all. (Other than maybe an ego boost/motivator).
Didn't miss it. What you said immediately after pretty much negates it while going on to compare your high schooler's score and school options when it's irrelevant. That 1330 score could turn into mid-1500s in three or four years. It is a stunningly great or impressive score for a middle schooler. That same score could get a high school student into a good UC school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education