Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 06:24 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,757,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
This is the policy for all of the public schools in my area:

Cellular telephones, pagers, beepers, fire radios, and other personal electronic devices are prohibited at the middle and high school levels during the instructional day. The use or possession of cellular telephones and other PCDs are admissible before and after the school day only. All devices should be placed in the student’s locker or left in the student’s vehicle during the instructional day.
As it should be. The only eletronic devces allowed in school should be calculators and voice note recorders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Perhaps this school system needs to review its policy on cell phones, etc.

From what I read about the first incident I believe the rumors started off campus. There was to be a fight and about half the student body stayed home. That was 2 months ago.

The posting of the video was this week. Students also text messaged each other about another impending fight at a nearby high school during the same week.

All school authorities can do is track down the instigators and press criminal charges and take disciplinary action against the students.

Troubling. How should these students be punished? 'Disruption of a public school'. Very serious. Thousands of lives are placed in jeopardy. On the other hand should a ?14, 15, 16, 17 yr old be incarcerated? I would think that such an incident would limit the student's future educational opportunities. <shrug> Perhaps that is of little importance to some.
Absolutely a 14, 15, 16 or 17 year old should be jailed. It will save them from a long prison experience later in life (speaking from experience). If they are fighting at school, it should be treated the same as if you or I fight with somebody at work- they should be terminated and either sent to an alternative or private school at the expense of their parents. At the start of the next school year, they can petition for readmission if they have performed community service and shown remorse.

Old 03-22-2008, 08:02 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,482,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
How did they "have the video removed from Youtube? It was not a copyrighted video and, as such, was not illegal to post. It is not a "crime" to record a fight and post it on Youtube. There is no way that a video posted after an event has happened is "disruption" of the school. The school was disrupted by those who participated in the distrubance and not by those who texted before the event, recorded the event during the fight or posted it on Youtube after the fight.
Those who were involved in the fight should be permanently expelled from school and be criminally charged for public disorder, disrupting a school, assault and whatever else can be thrown at them. They should do some jail time and never be allowed back in a public school again. Everybody else should be left alone.

<A student captured the fight on a cell phone...posted the video on YouTube, he said.
"If you are going to look like a thug, pretend you are a thug, act like a thug and be a thug, then we're going to treat you like a thug," Markham said in the video.>

Someone else may know more but I thought there was a law against capturing an image of a student and several laws against posting something like this on the internet. Those involved would have to legally agree to have their images made public?

Technology, individual rights/privacy, school's role--there are many complex issues. I suspect private schools have a simple solution.

Old 03-22-2008, 08:40 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,482,221 times
metropolistraffic--

I don't know the particulars of your situation and can see your point, to a degree.

However, when students text message each other 'Rumors' to get a 'Day Off' that is a more serious matter. Gang fights are serious, too. Surely you can acknowledge that?

When schools close parents have to make arrangements for transportation or after school schedules, etc. Parents are responsible for minor children.
Schools are accountable to the public under state/federal law.

These recent incidents may prompt a revision of the system's policy.

Last edited by TakeAhike; 03-22-2008 at 09:13 AM..

Old 03-22-2008, 01:07 PM

372 posts, read 849,212 times
It sounds to me like the school did nothing wrong.

There's a policy against having your phone out and on which you decided didn't apply to you. The school repremanded you and put you in in-school suspension.

In all honestly, it sounds to me like your parents have failed you thus far. I fear that your sense of entitlement is out of whack, and that the "real world" won't shelter and protect you as much as your mother and father.

Old 03-22-2008, 01:14 PM

471 posts, read 1,475,499 times
Quote:
There's a policy against having your phone out and on which you decided didn't apply to you. The school repremanded you and put you in in-school suspension.
Yes. But, Would it be right to donate my phone to a needy-charity?

Old 03-22-2008, 01:19 PM

372 posts, read 849,212 times
Did the school donate your phone?... No.

To answer your question directly. I don't believe that the school could legally take your phone and not give it back to you at the end of the day, nor do I think that they should have that power. However, I see no problem with the school taking your phone and asking for your parents to come pick up with an explanation as to why it was confiscated and that further violation of school policies will warrant larger penalties.

Old 03-22-2008, 02:16 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,093,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolistraffic View Post
Yes. But, Would it be right to donate my phone to a needy-charity?
So now you admit you were wrong, even though you stated previously that you were not.. Sorry I'm confused. You went from, its my phone, I refuse to follow school polity, I refuse to give it up, my mom called and reprimanded the school for trying to follow a policy that they had in place,

to now, yes, I was wrong.

And you think we dont teach you anything here...

Old 03-22-2008, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
<A student captured the fight on a cell phone...posted the video on YouTube, he said.
"If you are going to look like a thug, pretend you are a thug, act like a thug and be a thug, then we're going to treat you like a thug," Markham said in the video.>

Someone else may know more but I thought there was a law against capturing an image of a student and several laws against posting something like this on the internet. Those involved would have to legally agree to have their images made public?

Technology, individual rights/privacy, school's role--there are many complex issues. I suspect private schools have a simple solution.
There are no laws against capturing an image and posting it on the internet. There are CIVIL laws about privacy but if you sue you have to prove that you had a "reasonable expectation" of privacy which was breached- such as a camera hidden in a bathroom or a peeping tom at your window. When you are in public, it is legally assumed you have no expectation of privacy and your image may be captured and posted on the internet- or on TV for that matter.
Now as a matter of POLICY some news organizations will not show the faces of minors. Others do. But it is up to the individual news organization.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:47 PM

604 posts, read 1,185,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
How did they "have the video removed from Youtube? It was not a copyrighted video and, as such, was not illegal to post. It is not a "crime" to record a fight and post it on Youtube. There is no way that a video posted after an event has happened is "disruption" of the school. The school was disrupted by those who participated in the distrubance and not by those who texted before the event, recorded the event during the fight or posted it on Youtube after the fight.
Those who were involved in the fight should be permanently expelled from school and be criminally charged for public disorder, disrupting a school, assault and whatever else can be thrown at them. They should do some jail time and never be allowed back in a public school again. Everybody else should be left alone.
WHAT??!!! Permanently expelled??? Criminally charged??? JAIL TIME????!! For a high school fight??? You're kidding right? Well I guess that's one way to solve the problem with crowded schools. Most of 'em would be in jail. Meanwhile, the freaks who recorded the fight and posted it online perpetuate this hidden culture of violence. What a great idea. Fewer schools and more prisons. Yeah, that's the ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education