Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2018, 11:45 AM

15,416 posts, read 9,044,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
This is funny. You are advocating terminating 94% of the elementary school teachers int he USA.

However you forgot part of your sentence. I will fix it for you.

If you can't handle a physical altercation with a 50 pound 4 foot tall child, without touching them shouting at them, threatening them, or physically impairing them in any manner, you should not be working in a school.

Now the sentence conforms with the rules. Except now you are eliminating 100% of elementary school teachers.
Give me a break. I'm 100% positive that more than 6% of the elementary school teachers in this country can handle a physical altercation with a 50 pound 4 foot tall child. When I was in elementary school I never saw one teacher that couldn't handle a physical altercation with a student. The worst cases I saw, the teacher would get help from another teacher, and they would go two on one with the kid. And in the 5th grade, I went to a very ghetto school. There were a lot of altercations between students and teachers, rarely did the teachers even involve the school principal, let alone the police.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 11:48 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,580 posts, read 17,923,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queerfaith View Post
I think they need another Psychiatrist to do a work up-second opinion. Something is wrong with kid or family system. Some form of Attention Deficit Disorder is a possibility. He was interrupted from something he was focusing on, and responded very poorly.
I think what happened was his food was taken away while he was eating.

Not that that in any way justifies an assault on a teacher, just clarifying.

Old 02-02-2018, 11:50 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,560,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I think what happened was his food was taken away while he was eating.

Not that that in any way justifies an assault on a teacher, just clarifying.
That is how a dog might act if food is taken away. To be fair my dog won't do that but some do. A human being doing that I would only see in a movie while the person is in prison. Maybe he is training for his future.

Old 02-02-2018, 12:01 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Give me a break. I'm 100% positive that more than 6% of the elementary school teachers in this country can handle a physical altercation with a 50 pound 4 foot tall child. When I was in elementary school I never saw one teacher that couldn't handle a physical altercation with a student. The worst cases I saw, the teacher would get help from another teacher, and they would go two on one with the kid. And in the 5th grade, I went to a very ghetto school. There were a lot of altercations between students and teachers, rarely did the teachers even involve the school principal, let alone the police.
Clearly you did not go to elementary school in this millennium and you are not a teacher or education administrator. Things have changed since 1962. Kids are more violent at a younger age and teachers' hands are completely tied. Touch a kid and you are probably going to be fire and sued and maybe jailed.

In our high school a teacher playfully bopped a kid on the head lightly with a book (something I saw teachers do all the time in the good ole days). Fired, Sued, Initially prosecuted- but they eventually dropped the charges. The kid was not hurt in any way. Career destroyed. You cannot make physical contact with a student - period. No hugs, no holding hands, no pats on the back no swats, no blocking punches, no tackling or restraining. No touchy, period, the end.

This is 2018.

Old 02-02-2018, 12:32 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Again any adult who can't handle a physical altercation with a 50 pound 4 foot tall child should not be working in a school. That is just pathetic. She would be at least two to three times the child's size.
Teachers aren't allowed to physically discipline children, so I don't know what you are referring to. They have to call security or law enforcement. This is a result of rules, laws, and lawsuits.

In the old days, teachers could paddle children, but corporal punishment isn't allowed anywhere, that I know of.

So protocol was followed by the school, and probably by law enforcement. Law enforcement was going to be criticized, no matter what they did. They were in a lose-lose situation.

The kid is the one who caused the problems, and apparently isn't being raised properly.

Old 02-02-2018, 12:34 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
Quote:
Some form of Attention Deficit Disorder is a possibility. He was interrupted from something he was focusing on, and responded very poorly.
You clearly know nothing about Attention Deficit Disorder. It doesn't make a child violent.

Old 02-02-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
These feral illegals do not belong in our schools.
That's a bigoted thing to say since there was no mention of him being illegal, and "illegals" are not feral. Or maybe your speaking of your own immigrant ancestors?

Old 02-02-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
I think they need another Psychiatrist to do a work up-second opinion. Something is wrong with kid or family system. Some form of Attention Deficit Disorder is a possibility. He was interrupted from something he was focusing on, and responded very poorly.
"Responded very poorly" is an understatement, if ever I heard one.

It's possible the kid is just violent and likes to get his way. It's possible that the whole family hits on each other (that's likely). The ADD and autism "diagnoses" are getting out of hand. To hear people speak, almost all children now have ADD, autism, or asperger's. (When what they really suffer from is abuse at home, or lack of discipline, or lack of being taught the proper ways to behave.)

Old 02-02-2018, 12:43 PM

34,993 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
If the kid had starting hitting or fighting w/the officers, they would've gotten in trouble if they had restrained him or pepper sprayed him. So the police were in a lose-lose situation, as I see it. If this is protocol, they behaved in the best interest for all.
So it goes. The PC crowd would say that the school has to be "culturally sensitive," that this child is from an immigrant family and doesn't know how to acculturate to school. A school is designed with our culture in mind and the student and family must conform to school, not vice versa.

Old 02-02-2018, 01:22 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,603,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
From the article (italics mine):

"Speaking through a translator, Alvarez said it’s not a mental health issue or an issue with aggression.

This wasn’t her son’s first run-in with the officer. He was accused of kicking a teacher back in November, but it was resolved with the school.

Alvarez said a psychologist said her son was OK.
"

WTH??!! He is only seven, and this is the second time he allegedly assaulted a teacher?! And the parents say he doesn't have a problem with aggression? And the PSYCHOLOGIST supposedly said that the boy was "okay"??!! And that he is supposedly not a danger to society?

And yet some people say the liberal thinking regarding kids has not gone completely insane! Well, in many cases, I completely disagree with that!

And if the kid is not a danger to society now, how many of you think that will be the case ten years from now?

And if the parents are NOT U.S. citizens, in THIS case, if they try to sue, I think they should be immediately sent back to whatever country they are from! We certainly don't need any more parents thinking their out-of-control kids are actually little angels.

Maybe the psychologist found that the boy did not have a particular mental health problem. If his parents never disciplined the boy, or taught him boundaries; he could think it was a proper response to attack teachers if he was angry or even annoyed. Another possibility, which I hope is not the case, is that the child has been abused and has a lot of pent-up anger. (I am not a psychologist, just guessing) In any case, this boy does need to see counselors, psychologists, whatever; he cannot just be allowed to continue beating up teachers. No one wants to see the child end up a statistic for trying to attack a cop in ten years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education