Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 10:23 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I'm a bit confused by your post. Are you saying that teachers were forcing kids to pray with them?
I am saying that the way the groups were supposed to work in our school district -- and I know because we had one -- was that the group was supposed to be student run, but that a staff member had to be present for the purpose of legal supervision of minors. Unfortunately, all too often the teachers who would volunteer to supervise actually had their own hand in the pie. Legal supervision was not supposed to include the teacher praying with the group, leading prayers, or leading religious activities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 06:40 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,937,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I am saying that the way the groups were supposed to work in our school district -- and I know because we had one -- was that the group was supposed to be student run, but that a staff member had to be present for the purpose of legal supervision of minors. Unfortunately, all too often the teachers who would volunteer to supervise actually had their own hand in the pie. Legal supervision was not supposed to include the teacher praying with the group, leading prayers, or leading religious activities.
I see. So it's pretty much the same as the "student-led" walkouts.

Except for the whole disrupt school, interrupt classes and affect everyone else, as well as making feel like participation was mandatory for all students.

Old 04-19-2018, 02:02 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,883,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Common time, whether lunch, study hall, homeroom, academic intervention, etc are not rare in the slightest. Every single school I have taught in had some measure of common time ranging from a 15 min homeroom, to 20 min lunches. I know of other schools where the kids held the walk out during the passing time and their homeroom. Others where they did it during study hall.

As for punishment, the notion that every student who disrupts class is "punished" is laughable. Kids disrupt classes all the time with no actual punishment beyond, "please return to your seat" and a stern look. Likewise senior cut day is a tradition alive and well through out the country where kids cut the entire day and most parents will lie for them and claim they are "sick". Additionally, many schools did punish those who walked out.

The walk out and its perceived lack of punishment is by no means a new phenomenon.
People seemingly want to punish students for disagreeing with their opinions. Plain and simple. If the students follow the guideline and don't leave campus, I see no harm in the walk out. If they do it during lunch, homeroom study hall, or similar hours, who really cares? If teachers don't write them up if they walk out of the class for it, who cares?

Old 04-26-2018, 11:08 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,211,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krug View Post
Our school is planning a walkout in protest/recognition of the Parkland school shootings. 2 teachers are in charge of this, coordination, planning, etc. I am just wondering the legalities/ethics of teachers leading/organizing students in this walkout? In my opinion, this should be entirely led by students who perhaps seek permission or at least keep the staff of the school in the loop, NOT, led by teachers. What do you think?
Way cool....students need guidance and support to be successful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education