Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 10:13 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,047,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
No.

BASIC is a poorly designed language by modern standard, nobody uses it anymore. Some other old languages are remarkably decent, though. Pascal is occasionally used in school, but I don't quite know why.

If you want a stepstone to learn computer programming, Python serves the purpose.
My understanding is that BASIC was intended to teach programming, and was not intended to be used as a language to develop commercial applications.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 04:03 PM

48 posts, read 117,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I learned programming with BASIC in 1979, one of the first Apple Computers. That was the only language you could use on that, except assembly, which I never could understand.

I started a university in 1982 and they had just switched from FORTRAN to Pascal. They had also switched from cards to video monitors.

Do they still use BASIC or Pascal for teaching?
Only in a few business courses. Visual Basic is still mildly popular for corporate middleware - but it's being phased out in favor of C#.

Old 05-01-2018, 04:06 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
My understanding is that BASIC was intended to teach programming, and was not intended to be used as a language to develop commercial applications.
That's what I understand as well, that it was developed as a tool to help teach the though process of programming, not to be an operational language. But it actually was so useful that a couple iterations later, it was a pretty capable language on it's own.

I started out using BASIC and FORTRAN 4. Learned just a little Pascal and a tiny bit of C. There are now so many tools such as MATLAB and R, that a lot of people don't really program any more, but use the tools. Where I work there are so many generations of computers in use, I couldn't say what the modern version of BASIC as a teaching tool is, though I guess PYTHON is probably the closest.

Old 05-01-2018, 04:08 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,715,752 times
Quote:
What languages could somebody in elementary school learn?
I tried to learn BASIC when I was in elementary school.

But I failed.

I guess for most people, it's better to start learning programming languages in high school.

Old 05-01-2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Probably it was the language chosen to teach in the 90s.

I was a TA during my first year in CS Ph.D. program and we used Java and Python for introductory classes.

I heard that some schools use Fortran and Pascal, but BASIC is totally obsolete. The only exception is Visual Basic for Excel, but that's sort of different from original BASIC I learned as a kid.

Old 05-01-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazydriver View Post
Only in a few business courses. Visual Basic is still mildly popular for corporate middleware - but it's being phased out in favor of C#.
Visual Basic has its niche. I think it's probably the only way to effectively program with Excel sheets.

Other than that, I can't think of any real application anywhere.

Old 05-01-2018, 04:28 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,914,836 times
i enjoy basic. .was fun. created a few games with it. Was nice to see something you create and see the results of it.

Old 05-01-2018, 04:38 PM

11,636 posts, read 12,703,351 times
They teach Python and JavaScript in elementary school, usually through fame formats.

For the youngest, MIT's Scratch is pretty popular.

R is used by a lot of people in the social science and science fields for their statistics.

Old 05-01-2018, 05:13 PM

15,432 posts, read 7,487,193 times
Quote:
What languages could somebody in elementary school learn?
Scratch was used in my son's elementary and middle schools. He's in 9th grade now, so that's pretty recent.

Old 05-01-2018, 06:12 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,998,652 times
Quote:
What language is currently being taught to beginners?
Python, for sure. Others also, I imagine, but defo Python.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education