Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 07:48 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
I should not be paying property taxes to feed someone else's kids.
You're not. The School Lunch Program (which includes the breakfasts) is funded via the Dept. of Agriculture.

Old 05-06-2018, 09:12 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,351,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
A good chunk of the public sees little value in public schools and that's just a cold hard fact. I hate what the teachers unions have become and wish them gone, sorry, and to see a total overhaul of everything which is the ONLY way we can have good teachers, good educational programs, good salaries and hopefully good students. That probably won't happen for "reasons" so for now I'm supportive of alternatives. Throwing more money at the current beast is pointless.
If you think education is expensive...try ignorance.

Old 05-06-2018, 09:15 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,351,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
You're not. The School Lunch Program (which includes the breakfasts) is funded via the Dept. of Agriculture.
Brilliant!

So is the food stamp program, or SNAP. Remember, it originated as a way to distribute excess agricultural products in the Depression, to support farmers suffering from low commodity prices AND help those needing food assistance.

Old 05-06-2018, 11:36 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
I sure wish more people would point this out. If you live in a major school district like I do, take the time to drive past the School Board Complex, or whatever it's called. Be amazed at all those people working in that vast complex, doing absolutely nothing to further children's education. Fire those useless, overpaid pencil-pushers, and then we can have some decent student / teacher ratios.

And someday, pigs will fly...
The problem with people like you is that (1) you think you know it all and (2) you like to put other people down.

As a teacher, I never saw an administrative role in any school I was in where people did "absolutely nothing" to further children's education. That's not to say I didn't know people who were incompetent and should have been replaced, but the jobs were there for a reason.

As a principal, I never saw a central office role in the school system I was in where people did "absolutely nothing" to further children's education. That's not to say I didn't know people who were incompetent and should have been replaced, but the jobs were there for a reason.

I'll tell you where I saw the most incompetence in public education: incompetent parents. Every kid who didn't do their homework or study...incompetent parenting. Every kid who got suspended or expelled...incompetent parenting. Every kid who ended up in juvie or jail or prison...incompetent parenting. Every kid who didn't end up in a productive job...incompetent parenting. Every bully...incompetent parenting. Every vandal...incompetent parenting. Every sex offender...incompetent parenting. I could go on. (And, in the opposite direction...every great kid...every good kid...competent parenting).

If you have so much to offer public education -- other than just being snarky -- run for the local school board. See how far you get with your attitude. All of you recent posts do absolutely nothing to further children's education. It's just snarky talk.

Old 05-06-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Brilliant!

So is the food stamp program, or SNAP. Remember, it originated as a way to distribute excess agricultural products in the Depression, to support farmers suffering from low commodity prices AND help those needing food assistance.
You're preaching to the choir, but it's good for others to see that.

Old 05-07-2018, 06:43 AM

995 posts, read 509,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The problem with people like you is that (1) you think you know it all and (2) you like to put other people down.

As a teacher, I never saw an administrative role in any school I was in where people did "absolutely nothing" to further children's education. That's not to say I didn't know people who were incompetent and should have been replaced, but the jobs were there for a reason.

As a principal, I never saw a central office role in the school system I was in where people did "absolutely nothing" to further children's education. That's not to say I didn't know people who were incompetent and should have been replaced, but the jobs were there for a reason.

I'll tell you where I saw the most incompetence in public education: incompetent parents. Every kid who didn't do their homework or study...incompetent parenting. Every kid who got suspended or expelled...incompetent parenting. Every kid who ended up in juvie or jail or prison...incompetent parenting. Every kid who didn't end up in a productive job...incompetent parenting. Every bully...incompetent parenting. Every vandal...incompetent parenting. Every sex offender...incompetent parenting. I could go on. (And, in the opposite direction...every great kid...every good kid...competent parenting).

If you have so much to offer public education -- other than just being snarky -- run for the local school board. See how far you get with your attitude. All of you recent posts do absolutely nothing to further children's education. It's just snarky talk.
I have to laugh at this one. You say I'm snarky and putting people down, and that's exactly what you do in your reply.

It makes things pretty convenient that you place 100% of your problems onto "them," i.e., the parents. Nice.

Yeah, I'm sure all those folks are doing a bang-up job of spending the taxpayer money - shoveling mountains of it to the shark-fest of "education companies" selling their latest and newest textbooks and classroom equipment. And your test scores went up two tenths of a percent. Praise the Lord Hallelujah!

In Cuba, they can't even afford the damn chalk for the chalkboard and they have a literacy rate of 99.75%. I suppose there no incompetent parents in Cuba.

I'll not be running for School Board, but other people will. As those property taxes rise ever-higher and and more people question where that money is going (not teachers, and certainly not the students), some will run for S.B. and win. And changes will be made.

Old 05-07-2018, 06:49 AM

9,976 posts, read 5,672,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Betsy DeVos learned the hard way that teachers are unhappy with taking tax payer money to fund charter schools. I bet she thought this meeting would be all hugs and kisses. When are people going to learn that there are real funding problems in public education? DeVos said that it wasn't necessary for teachers to go on strike. I suspect most millionaires (DeVos is one) don't understand why teachers who have not had real raises in years might need one just to catch up with the cost of living. Nor, does she understand the degree to which many public schools are underfunded to the point where they cannot carry out necessary functions.

Thank goodness for the teacher strikes and for the willingness of teachers to demand adequate funding. We are making some progress--despite DeVos.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...ting/23424451/
A) Devos is smart enough to know she's going to face pushback from teachers wherever she goes, so no she did not think "this meeting would be all hugs and kisses."

B) If the public school teachers and/or the bureaucracies they work for produce satisfactory results, they won't need to worry about parents wanting to take their tax dollars to charter schools. Demand for charter schools is a SYMPTOM of failing schools, not a cause.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
A) Devos is smart enough to know she's going to face pushback from teachers wherever she goes, so no she did not think "this meeting would be all hugs and kisses."

B) If the public school teachers and/or the bureaucracies they work for produce satisfactory results, they won't need to worry about parents wanting to take their tax dollars to charter schools. Demand for charter schools is a SYMPTOM of failing schools, not a cause.
B) Oh, it's more than that. I live, vote, pay taxes in one of the allegedly "best" districts in Colorado, and there is a charter school movement here. In fact, another one was just approved. The court of public opinion did a lot to stir people up about the supposed sorry state of public education back in the 1990s. So in a district where most of the comprehensive high schools have graduation rates in the high 90s, and college attendance rates close to that, we needed charter schools for "high academics", "core knowledge", etc.
https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...istrict-112043
The comprehensive (regular) high schools in this list are Boulder High, Broomfield High, Centaurus High, Fairview High, Monarch High and Nederland High. Nederland is a mountain community. Note that most of these other schools did not exist in the 1990s.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:18 AM

9,976 posts, read 5,672,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
B) Oh, it's more than that. I live, vote, pay taxes in one of the allegedly "best" districts in Colorado, and there is a charter school movement here. In fact, another one was just approved. The court of public opinion did a lot to stir people up about the supposed sorry state of public education back in the 1990s. So in a district where most of the comprehensive high schools have graduation rates in the high 90s, and college attendance rates close to that, we needed charter schools for "high academics", "core knowledge", etc.
https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...istrict-112043
The comprehensive (regular) high schools in this list are Boulder High, Broomfield High, Centaurus High, Fairview High, Monarch High and Nederland High. Nederland is a mountain community. Note that most of these other schools did not exist in the 1990s.
I suppose that's wonderful, if you believe a high school's primary purpose is to serve as a stepping stone to college. That being the case, I'm not surprised you're mystified some parents would still prefer charter schools.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
I suppose that's wonderful, if you believe a high school's primary purpose is to serve as a stepping stone to college. That being the case, I'm not surprised you're mystified some parents would still prefer charter schools.
There's a reason high schools are called "preps". The oldest high school in Colorado, Boulder High, used to be called "Boulder Prep". So yes, that is one purpose of high schools. What do you want to see in a charter school, seeing as you are the one who said that charters are a "SYMPTOM of failing schools"? What do you see as the failures?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education