Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 05:28 AM

804 posts, read 540,829 times

Advertisements

Sending an e-mail to a parent is as public as it should get. Not investing in any over the top system. It is money and time wasted.

Also it is discrimination against people who are unable to use technological source or just do not want to. It is forcing people into despair. You have that option to do everything one paper or via the mail. Internet resources are not meant for everybody. Not everybody should have to use them. Paper resources and filing are the best.

As a teacher I would just send the parent a text message, or even call them and embarrass them in front of the class during work hours. That is it.

A teacher is just a substitute parent under law.

We need less computers and more physical activities

Old 05-15-2018, 10:34 AM

352 posts, read 323,651 times
In Nevada we are required by law to put all grades onto an online system called "Infinite Campus" and most teachers at my school put assignments online on Google Classroom.

Old 05-15-2018, 06:56 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,672,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
Well, it's not 1982.

Are you a teacher?

If so, at what grade do teachers stop whining about "lack of parental involvement"? You know, given the fact that it's 2018 & updating a homework/grade website doesn't take any more time for them to do than posting on their FB/Snapchat/Instagram?

You don't think that keeping the parents of your students (supposing you are a teacher) abreast of their child's grades that it would benefit the kids you "teach"? So both parents & students could see their grades, and the parents could push them/punish them? It's all "eh, you're in HS" to you? You're too busy to help the parents of your students/students stay on point?

My oldest just had is last exam, today, of his freshman year in college.

I don't know a thing about his classes/teachers/grades unless he tells me.

But college teachers/professors aren't typically the ones whining about lack of parental involvement and how hard they work and how hard their lives are due to the profession they chose.

Yes I am a teacher.

I have never complained about the lack of parent involvement. So high school for the second question.

As for time taken to update the grade website, I entered in 31 tests today. It took 15 minutes. A bit longer than posting to instagram. I also had no prep, stayed after for 4 hours helping two kids with their senior projects, and just got home.

I teach seniors, I do not think it benefits them to have their parents reminding them about homework or grades. By high school students should be managing their own homework. To that end, while I do update my class calendar with homework and quizzes on it regularly, I do not share it with parents, even when they request it.

Old 05-15-2018, 07:02 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,672,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanArt View Post
Sending an e-mail to a parent is as public as it should get. Not investing in any over the top system. It is money and time wasted.
Many parents feel differently. As a teacher I would vastly prefer a grading system than emailing every grade to parents, that is a waste of time.

Quote:
Also it is discrimination against people who are unable to use technological source or just do not want to. It is forcing people into despair. You have that option to do everything one paper or via the mail. Internet resources are not meant for everybody. Not everybody should have to use them. Paper resources and filing are the best.
If they dont have interent how are they getting the emails you suggest above?

Quote:
As a teacher I would just send the parent a text message, or even call them and embarrass them in front of the class during work hours. That is it.
I wouldn't text a parent for any reason ever.

Quote:
That is not what in loco parentis means. The legal burden is "some of the responsibilities" of the parent. Loving students is not one of them. Oh and for the record, it applies to the school, not individual teachers.

Quote:
My school has no gym, and tech classes. There is a line a mile long trying to get in (we are a public academy)

Old 05-19-2018, 11:22 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,226,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
I'm sorry you felt a teacher complained about your lack of involvement one time. I know that must have hurt you real bad. That teacher was not me.

My students, parents, and administration all seem to be very happy with my practice and pedagogy... So if it's okay with you I'm not going to bother myself with helicopter moms on citydata.
This isn't about you & I have no idea why you were so defensive in your OP & still are.

I wasn't asking for the opinions of teachers and for a reason. I wanted to hear from parents & their experiences & thoughts. Nothing more, nothing less.

Since it hasn't gone that way, and only teachers have seemed to respond:

How is expecting, as a parent, that teachers use the school's (you know, the school they work for & get paid to teach at) web-based reporting system to help THEIR high school students know exactly where they stand; when it come to missing homework assignments due to absences, quiz grades, test grades, overall average in the class considered "helicopter parenting"?

I didn't say anything about a homework website for HS. Using the system to keep HS'ers updated on their grades/missed assignments, etc. (which are seen as a "0" - again, no HS "homework page") for themselves, yes.

Lower School? Where not, I know this is hard to believe, not every kid is a self starting genius with an IQ of 180. Kids lie. Kids get lazy. If you have a homework page? UPDATE IT. A physical report card is given out 2x a year with "check marks" in the appropriate column. 20 or 9 or 12 kids in an entire lower school GRADE (the school MY kids attend) & you teach one grade & don't have them in your face for their daily Spanish/STEM/gym/lunch/music classes? This is when you make calls, eat your lunch, take pics to post on Instagram/FB? Work on voluntary stuff, like the annual "flash mob" or play around with the VR system in the tech dept (and post all to SM, where I see it)? But you can't take 5 minutes to update the homework page, for the kids in your class?

Middle School? Same as the HS. Some teachers use the system and others do not. There are no "homework pages" for either MS or HS.

I think it's the least their teachers can do. Not for me, but for THEIR students. As LKB said? It doesn't take a lot of time.

Last edited by Informed Info; 05-20-2018 at 12:04 AM..

Old 05-23-2018, 09:57 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,039,065 times
I have one child in middle school. The teachers enter grades for all assignments and tests and projects into a system called Power School. It also tracks attendance. I like it. I can see when major projects are due and harass my child accordingly. She is actually pretty responsible, but I think her knowing that Mom is watching, prevents her from slacking off as she might otherwise. The teachers don't always update everything in a timely manner, but it's good enough to still be useful, especially for the big projects.

I also have two in elementary school. Their teachers have a grade-level website that I admittedly do not check that often. My first grader gets a paper homework packet once a week, and I do keep watch over that. The fifth grader doesn't get a whole lot of homework, but what she does, she responsibly completes on her own, in a timely manner, so I don't feel the need to hover. Next year, she'll also be in Middle School, which is a pretty big leap in expectations, from what I've seen with my older daughter.

Old 05-23-2018, 04:03 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,071,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
This isn't about you & I have no idea why you were so defensive in your OP & still are.

I wasn't asking for the opinions of teachers and for a reason. I wanted to hear from parents & their experiences & thoughts. Nothing more, nothing less.

Since it hasn't gone that way, and only teachers have seemed to respond:

How is expecting, as a parent, that teachers use the school's (you know, the school they work for & get paid to teach at) web-based reporting system to help THEIR high school students know exactly where they stand; when it come to missing homework assignments due to absences, quiz grades, test grades, overall average in the class considered "helicopter parenting"?

I didn't say anything about a homework website for HS. Using the system to keep HS'ers updated on their grades/missed assignments, etc. (which are seen as a "0" - again, no HS "homework page") for themselves, yes.

Lower School? Where not, I know this is hard to believe, not every kid is a self starting genius with an IQ of 180. Kids lie. Kids get lazy. If you have a homework page? UPDATE IT. A physical report card is given out 2x a year with "check marks" in the appropriate column. 20 or 9 or 12 kids in an entire lower school GRADE (the school MY kids attend) & you teach one grade & don't have them in your face for their daily Spanish/STEM/gym/lunch/music classes? This is when you make calls, eat your lunch, take pics to post on Instagram/FB? Work on voluntary stuff, like the annual "flash mob" or play around with the VR system in the tech dept (and post all to SM, where I see it)? But you can't take 5 minutes to update the homework page, for the kids in your class?

Middle School? Same as the HS. Some teachers use the system and others do not. There are no "homework pages" for either MS or HS.

I think it's the least their teachers can do. Not for me, but for THEIR students. As LKB said? It doesn't take a lot of time.
I was attempting to match your tone. I'm sorry you didn't want to hear any opinions from the people who probably have the most experience with your question/complaint.

I personally feel that by the 9th grade children need to start to make their own decisions and take responsibility for themselves. I am well aware that there is a certain segment of the population who vehimently disagree... I also know there are a lot of parents who see raising a "successful" child as their personal responsibility and therefore take on an outsized role in their child's school, activities, relationships etc. This is in my opinion a mistake. I know you might not care this way but lots of other people read this stuff too. We can chat about developmental psychology if you want. (But I suspect you don't)

Old 05-24-2018, 03:48 PM

13,252 posts, read 33,422,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanArt View Post

Most parents are under 50 years old. Certainly they can figure out e-mail and basic technology. Our schools use Sapphire now and used to use PowerSchool. The teachers have to use it to post all of their grades. I think that's standard in most schools now.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-24-2018, 09:42 PM

12,679 posts, read 8,909,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Most parents are under 50 years old. Certainly they can figure out e-mail and basic technology. Our schools use Sapphire now and used to use PowerSchool. The teachers have to use it to post all of their grades. I think that's standard in most schools now.
The real issue here is many can't afford a computer and internet. They might check a gmail account once a month or so at the library, when they drop by.

Old 05-25-2018, 05:39 AM

8,821 posts, read 15,269,086 times
At our elementary level (grades K-6) grading is standards based and grades are not percentage based. There wouldn’t be much to put into an online grading system that would be worthwhile.

Some grade levels assign very little, if any homework so that too would not be posted online, however we do have Blackboard and assignments are posted to Google Classroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education