Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2018, 03:26 PM

836 posts, read 1,255,533 times

Advertisements

Someone can enjoy travel (or at least the desire to travel) without being into geography, and someone else can enjoy not only travel but also geography. I’m the latter sort of person, to the point where it had always been my intention to major in geography in college, which I did. (By geography, I mean not just lists of capitals or rivers, but an entire academic discipline of studying spatial patterns, on a local or global scale or in between. There’s physical geography, human geography, and regional geography typically.) Travel and geography are connected in that both deal with places, albeit from different angles. It is important to note that here, I’m not taking into account travel/tourism courses for the sake of working in the travel industry nor the subdiscipline of tourism studies (which includes tourism geography – e.g. why Cancun has evolved into a major tourist destination).

The question I’m throwing to all of you is: In the same way that the discipline of geography is linked to the hobby of travel, which discipline(s) is/are connected to the following hobbies:

1. art (as in painting, sculpting, etc.) – I would guess any discipline in art school?

2. animals (pets and/or wildlife) – probably not biology per se but maybe zoology or else ecology or thereabout?

3. plants (house plants and/or outdoor plants) – same as #2 but substitute botany for zoology

4. cooking – I’m at a loss, because its academic analogue (food studies) is in its infancy, and even at that, it’s only at a few universities, plus that food science is totally separate from gastronomy or food studies in the same way that geology is separate from travel or geography

5. music – I’d imagine any discipline in music school?

6. business/finance/money – maybe economics (although business is an academic discipline by itself, especially at the MBA level)?

7. cars – perhaps automotive engineering (although auto mechanics courses at vocational schools might be better)?

Last edited by yofie; 06-08-2018 at 03:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 06:33 PM

667 posts, read 2,888,209 times
History - reenacting

Old 06-09-2018, 10:17 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,301,941 times
Video games - computer science/software engineering + graphics design

Old 06-09-2018, 05:01 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,767,316 times
For a love of music there are a few possibilities:

1) A performance concentration for folks who actually want to play or sing for a living
2) A musicology focus, or the academic study of different types of music
3) A straight teaching focus (education major) for K-12
4) A music technology focus on sound and audio engineering, often in a science department

In truth though, most musical kids will take some combination of all four of these areas even if the want to focus on only one area

Old 06-10-2018, 07:06 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,459,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Video games - computer science/software engineering + graphics design
Since you appear to be in Texas, what I say may be even more relevant, ...

At UT-Austin, back when I was an undergraduate, most of the younger students did not graduate because they weren't disciplined and motivated. The especially applied to the kids that went into "Computer Science" because they liked computers, and especially video games, as they would quickly learn the major was not about goofing off, having fun, etc.; It was a lot of hard work that built upon itself, and we took quite a few math (and more mathematically related classes). The department also had roots and previously shared facilities with the Electrical Engineering program.

Granted, mileage may vary, and UT-Austin may be an anomaly.

Old 06-10-2018, 12:57 PM

316 posts, read 303,925 times
Depending on the type of cooking, how about a Nutrition/Dietetics degree? From my understanding, that differs from Food Science.

I'll add another one:

reading ---- library and information science

Old 06-10-2018, 01:33 PM

836 posts, read 1,255,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflygirlmomof2 View Post
Depending on the type of cooking, how about a Nutrition/Dietetics degree? From my understanding, that differs from Food Science.

I'll add another one:

reading ---- library and information science
So for cooking, either food studies or nutrition/dietetics, and for reading, either library/info science or literature (in guise of English Dept. or what not, depending on where the university is)?!

Old 06-10-2018, 03:26 PM

Makes sense to me, yofie.

Old 06-10-2018, 03:43 PM

Also, for plants --- landscape design/architecture. A local community college offers this in a 2 year program. Not sure if you'd need to pursue more education beyond that, though.

Old 06-10-2018, 05:16 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yofie View Post
Someone can enjoy travel (or at least the desire to travel) without being into geography, and someone else can enjoy not only travel but also geography. I’m the latter sort of person, to the point where it had always been my intention to major in geography in college, which I did. (By geography, I mean not just lists of capitals or rivers, but an entire academic discipline of studying spatial patterns, on a local or global scale or in between. There’s physical geography, human geography, and regional geography typically.) Travel and geography are connected in that both deal with places, albeit from different angles. It is important to note that here, I’m not taking into account travel/tourism courses for the sake of working in the travel industry nor the subdiscipline of tourism studies (which includes tourism geography – e.g. why Cancun has evolved into a major tourist destination).

The question I’m throwing to all of you is: In the same way that the discipline of geography is linked to the hobby of travel, which discipline(s) is/are connected to the following hobbies:

1. art (as in painting, sculpting, etc.) – I would guess any discipline in art school?

2. animals (pets and/or wildlife) – probably not biology per se but maybe zoology or else ecology or thereabout?

3. plants (house plants and/or outdoor plants) – same as #2 but substitute botany for zoology

4. cooking – I’m at a loss, because its academic analogue (food studies) is in its infancy, and even at that, it’s only at a few universities, plus that food science is totally separate from gastronomy or food studies in the same way that geology is separate from travel or geography

5. music – I’d imagine any discipline in music school?

6. business/finance/money – maybe economics (although business is an academic discipline by itself, especially at the MBA level)?

7. cars – perhaps automotive engineering (although auto mechanics courses at vocational schools might be better)?
Many of my students who are interested in animals end up veterinarians. The people into plants became park rangers and ecologists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education