Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 03:18 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,373,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I don't see a difference with a robot teacher and online learning. I think parents would prefer the robot teacher over online learning so they could still go to work. Taxpayers, on the other hand, might prefer online learning. Has to be cheaper.
Robots can't use independent thinking to properly supervise children in the classroom. It's not going to happen in the foreseeable future.

Online learning has to be supervised. Even in college courses, online classes are supervised by professors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 09:01 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,082,116 times
Quote:
Has anyone considered that the non-production line job most easily assumed by robots is the job of teacher?

I see it as a no-brainer.

Has to be cheaper in the long run, too. One time charge for each robot plus an annual tune up over the summer in addition to programming the next school year's updated lessons.

Program the lessons. They won't molest your kids. No union dues going to political parties. No sick days. They can zap the class troublemakers when they act up and the homeschoolers won't have to worry about subjects for which they are not familiar if they have a home robot teacher. You can put a videocam inside the robot teacher so parents can observe the classes through their computers or phones to see what their "little angels" are doing all day.

Yes? No?
If we have robots that advanced why would we need schools? Wouldn't all jobs be automated?

Oh wait... This is an idiotic political rant not an actual hypothetical. Nevermind.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:24 AM

1,594 posts, read 1,410,147 times
Companies trying to make money off the education industry are not going to design products that people in the education industry would view as a threat. They can figure out that such products would not sell. So we get the education industry using the technology in incompetent ways.

https://gizmodo.com/the-la-school-sy...-to-1733569377

Old 07-17-2018, 11:29 AM

5,790 posts, read 3,596,781 times
Quote:
Has anyone considered that the non-production line job most easily assumed by robots is the job of teacher?

Has to be cheaper in the long run, too. One time charge for each robot plus an annual tune up over the summer in addition to programming the next school year's updated lessons.

Program the lessons. They won't molest your kids. No union dues going to political parties. No sick days. They can zap the class troublemakers when they act up and the homeschoolers won't have to worry about subjects for which they are not familiar if they have a home robot teacher. You can put a videocam inside the robot teacher so parents can observe the classes through their computers or phones to see what their "little angels" are doing all day.

Yes? No?

Nope. All you can say is that it's cheaper (read: less taxes spent on K-12 education). But...you get what you pay for. And that's for the students who are dedicated to making good grades and learning!

It gets worse when it deals with students thoroughly bored with the material. How is a robot going to motivate them (even if just a little) to learn when it has no personality at all, much less an engaging one that can keep student's interest and attention.

Classroom discipline? How is a robot going to accomplish this?

Like I said, you get the education you pay for.

Old 07-17-2018, 11:42 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,722,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I'd urge anyone that cares to understand why online learning is mostly a disaster to read this -- https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.20749e3d88ec When you come to the realization that the content of that course was literally about creating online learning it is even more shocking. The folks trying to take the course were mostly TEACHERS who by definition are far more likely to be willing to hear info of this type.

Fact is there are just is not very much good content. AI won't change that. If anything it will result in the bad content being proven ineffective much quicker -- there have already been studies that show how kids are not doing well in algebra are not helped by simple online efforts -- https://hechingerreport.org/try-onli...gebra-failure/

There is a whole lot of solid evidence that what is needed to help more kids do well with the kinds of skills needed for success in the future efforts should focus on engaging kids who might otherwise have consider technically demanding fields -- Access CSP That does not happen with "robot teachers" but instead requires highly skilled teachers with a very different mindset than the sort of "AI systems creator" one is likely to encounter toiling away on making things easier for themself and others who already have mastery of technology...
That seemed to be a failure of scale and technology. It is ridiculous to think 40000 people can take an online class with one teacher.

And speak for yourself, my content is self made. Content is as good as the teacher.

Old 07-17-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:

Yes? No?
I teach in class, online and a hybrid flipped class. If you think a robot could teach my courses you are deluded. A robot is literally the stupidest idea yet. A computer is a more well thought solution, why would a robot need to be built to deliver content?

Old 07-17-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
I don't see a difference with a robot teacher and online learning. I think parents would prefer the robot teacher over online learning so they could still go to work. Taxpayers, on the other hand, might prefer online learning. Has to be cheaper.
Why would you need a robot vs a computer?

Old 07-17-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
That is ridiculous.

An AI mathematics program in a tablet could teach math.

An AI physics program in a tablet could teach physics.

An AI history program in a tablet could teach history.

An AI piano program in a tablet could teach music.

etc. etc.

The teacher could just be a supervisor for a group of children and not actually do the teaching. This way the kids would not have to move in lockstep with a class. Each student could learn each subject at their own rate.
How about languages? AI might be able to teach vocabulary and grammar but actual conversational language? No.

How about actual math? Because you likely mean arithmetic not math. AI is not going to be able to teach problem solving like when to use chain rule or how to solve identities.

What about research or engineering classes? As can teach repetitive type knowledge based material but the limit to AI is that it can only replace crappy teaching, not depth and skills.

Old 07-17-2018, 08:12 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,410,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
How about languages? AI might be able to teach vocabulary and grammar but actual conversational language? No.

How about actual math? Because you likely mean arithmetic not math. AI is not going to be able to teach problem solving like when to use chain rule or how to solve identities.

I don't care about languages.

But I suspect if they can make a machine play GO then it could play videos explaining math and then give problems associated with that video and analyze the answers. Then play videos explaining the most probably causes of any detected errors.

Old 07-17-2018, 08:17 PM

24,600 posts, read 9,440,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
To a degree online schools are essentially approaching that concept. Public online K-12 schools are expanding. However, it will never completely happen because public schools also serve the function of babysitters. I would not be surprised to see a shift towards complete curriculum online with an adult monitor.
Excellent post. K-12 is the babysitter/compulsory education then college becomes the "robot teacher" with online distance learning.

I finished my undergrad with a regionally accredited online school and the professor pretty much just issues the coursework and grades it. It's convenient for everyone involved.

Funny enough, there are now ads marketing online education for high school students now who need a diploma. Crazy world we live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education