Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 04:58 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,496,140 times

Advertisements

We hated gifted students? Says who?

I don't know where the OP heard that, but it's a crock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 05:07 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,287,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
Not sure why OP thinks that that gifted students are ignored. They certainly are lauded where I live!
I'm not the OP, but my concern is exactly that type of inconsistency in how gifted students are treated from state to state or even school to school. If you're a gifted student in a community that values academics, you're going to have a great chance at being successful. But if you're a gifted student in a school where gifted students are overlooked, and in a state that doesn't mandate services for gifted students, there's a pretty good chance your time at school will be wasted and you're not going to have the chance to reach your true potential, no matter how much you're able to teach yourself.

Old 07-08-2018, 05:14 PM

11,660 posts, read 12,751,726 times
I can't relate to the OP at all. Where do you live, OP?

When there are budget cuts, the first programs here to be cut are sports and athletics. We don't have big sports programs here at high schools. Some of our schools don't even have fields. Sports-minded kids here usually have to look to either town programs or do something privately, like the ice-skating Hughes family.

Academics here are stressed in the northeast. We have a number of programs and special public schools for academically advanced students. I call them "academically advanced" because true gifted students, as in Sheldon Cooper types, are part of special education, according to the Federal Government and have special needs. We have certified teachers for the gifted. I was in several gifted programs while attending public school, but I consider them academically advanced, as opposed to true gifted programs. Jeopardy is still pretty popular and they have special high school weeks. There used to be a TV program called College Bowl. Locally, there is a Jeopardy type of competitive television show for our local public and private high schools. Students here are pushed to the extreme in academics.

I will take a wild guess that the OP doesn't live in an area with a large Asian and Jewish population.

Old 07-08-2018, 05:58 PM

13,289 posts, read 8,497,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
We hated gifted students? Says who?

I don't know where the OP heard that, but it's a crock.
To be fair....in my school system ..the gifted students either academic or athletic were indeed held to more priveledges...be it...skipping class to attend a 'camp' or being favored by teachers. So yes I wasn't thrilled by the favors bestowed them...but hate...probably. and not out of jealousy. ..more out of how arrogant some were in their treatment of its own generation.

My son was in a gifted program...he often 'felt' austercized when he flowed into standard courses that he wasn't gifted in...bio and Chem being two that challenged him. He'd have rather been accepted then be treated as an alien ...

It depends what seat you were in (perspective/experience) to objectively view a 'general' observation and conclude.

Old 07-08-2018, 06:16 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 26 days ago)

35,752 posts, read 18,101,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
An example from my own schooling is being berated by the teacher for reading ahead "how are you going to learn to read if you don't keep the place!!!" when I already knew how to read, as evidenced by the fact I was a couple chapters ahead while the class was stuck on one paragraph.

Sorry for the stream of consciousness, it just kind of flowed out after reading the paper this morning.
WHAT is the deal with punishing kids for reading ahead? I'm a reader and always have enjoyed reading. Why in the world do so many classroom teachers admonish you strongly for reading ahead - for basically, doing better? Doing more?

I do get that if the assignment is to read through a specific chapter, those who have read more must NOT spoil the plot. No discussion in class about what happens next. But really. Why keep telling kids don't read ahead if they're interested enough to do it on their own? You'd think that would be rewarded.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:09 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,556,154 times
Ok. I'll bite. In public schools this may be a regional thing.

For example in Montana if the local high school sports team wins some sort of championship, they get the honor of riding Town fire trucks lights & sirens around the business district in a celebratory parade.

Rest assured this does not happen for National Merit Scholars.

Old 07-08-2018, 09:30 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,939,687 times
Quote:
This is something I've pondered from time to time...
If "we" includes me, we love gifted students. There may be teachers too lazy or biased to handle the responsibility of educating them, but they shouldn't be teachers.

Old 07-08-2018, 09:38 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,047,348 times
Quote:
This is something I've pondered from time to time and it came up again today reading the local paper. This country in general seems to have an active dislike of those who are academically gifted. We constantly find ways to put them down, both large and small. But with athletics, it's different. As a culture we admire athletic prowess. We shower adulation and money down on them. Even at the lowest level of sport, the kid who is just a tiny bit stronger or faster gets all the attention.

I know this dichotomy is real having experienced myself and with my kids. But I can't explain it, nor even understand it. And the more I read about it, the less it makes sense. Our schools put effort into supporting and bringing the lowest performers up to the minimum, but pretty much ignore the gifted assuming they will just be fine on their own. An example from my own schooling is being berated by the teacher for reading ahead "how are you going to learn to read if you don't keep the place!!!" when I already knew how to read, as evidenced by the fact I was a couple chapters ahead while the class was stuck on one paragraph.

Sorry for the stream of consciousness, it just kind of flowed out after reading the paper this morning.
I have heard about nerds in movies, but not about athletes however bad they may fare in the games. I used to be a GT student myself, but I used to be jealous of the adulation those dumb athletes got. Of course, it didn't matter now, since I am not a world famous CEO nor them a world-class athlete.

No one knows about the hard work those nerds put in whereas athleticism can be a natural trait.

Old 07-08-2018, 10:31 PM

13,105 posts, read 7,578,172 times
Anyone can become President.
But there is only one who can be LeBron James or Tiger Woods.
That is why an athlete who makes it the top is amazing. And even when they make it to the top, they get better.

Old 07-09-2018, 12:36 AM

10,181 posts, read 10,281,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Anyone can become President.
But there is only one who can be LeBron James or Tiger Woods.
That is why an athlete who makes it the top is amazing. And even when they make it to the top, they get better.
Obama was POTUS for 8 years, so yes, anyone can "become President".
--------------------------------------------------------------------
What does this thread have to do with LeBron or Tiger?

Last edited by Informed Info; 07-09-2018 at 12:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education