Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2018, 07:20 AM

35,081 posts, read 17,043,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Grades 6, 7 and 8 were not tracked. They were a nightmare. I had to tolerate having chewing gum placed in my hair. Why? The student's parents were going through a divorce.
That could happen with a child of any intellectual level. Kids, and middle schoolers are still kids, act out.
Not as much though. The smarter kids at least in 1967-68 and before tended to be from more disciplined and disciplining households. The parents would never have tolerated that kind of in-school conduct. The parents would have heard about it either from the school or from the victimized child's parents.

My father called the father of a child who pulled a stool out from under me at the beginning of sophomore year of high school. That father cared not because the family was education (it wasn't) but because the conduct had criminal ramifications.
Quote:
Why do you find that "entertaining"?
I had a friend who graduated law school three months after he turned 21. How? He received a GED after his freshmen year in high school. A certain prestigious college tried to argue that the GED was not for "his kind of student." His father offered to take the matter up in court and the college wisely backed down, so he started college six months after turning 15. He graduated college in three years. Thus the law school graduation at 21.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 07:49 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
For some reason America has become anti-intellectual. We call smart people nerds, but athletes are gods. Sad really. I think we have so many people that do not value education in this country. They sucked at school, so think school is stupid. This is passed on to their children, the cycle continues.

This is mostly an American thing. Many other countries don't even have sports in K-12 schooling. Look at India, they have over a billion citizens, and usually send about 3 of them to the olympics. They spend their time with academics, not athletics. We better wise up. It's no wonder many tech jobs go to foreign people. We already have a problem staffing positions in science and engineering. We don't have a problem getting people to work at McDonalds.

Trying not to get political, but it will get worst unless we do something about our current government. They want to push for more factory and coal mining jobs. These menial jobs are not the future of America. These are the jobs for the uneducated that will eventually go to robots. We have to keep pace with technology and produce more graduates in science and engineering, not coal miners. Our president is short sighted and just pandering to his uneducated base. This will not make America strong, this will weaken us while other countries become the leaders. The anti-intellectualism that is poisoning America MUST STOP. If it doesn't, our future will be much like the dystopia portrayed in the movie Idiocracy.
Surely you jest! Yes, let's look at India. Here are their literacy statistics:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...rate-in-india/
In 2015, a full 37% of women were illiterate, and 19% of men, a total of 28%, over 1 in 5. Yes, yes, YES, let's adopt their system. India doesn't spend a lot of "their time" on education OR athletics.

Old 07-10-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Not as much though. The smarter kids at least in 1967-68 and before tended to be from more disciplined and disciplining households. The parents would never have tolerated that kind of in-school conduct. The parents would have heard about it either from the school or from the victimized child's parents.

My father called the father of a child who pulled a stool out from under me at the beginning of sophomore year of high school. That father cared not because the family was education (it wasn't) but because the conduct had criminal ramifications.
I had a friend who graduated law school three months after he turned 21. How? He received a GED after his freshmen year in high school. A certain prestigious college tried to argue that the GED was not for "his kind of student." His father offered to take the matter up in court and the college wisely backed down, so he started college six months after turning 15. He graduated college in three years. Thus the law school graduation at 21.
I was already out of school by the 67-68 school year. (I graduated from HS in 1967.) I totally dispute the bold. A lot was tolerated.

I'm not sure of the point of your story about graduating from law school at 21.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:48 AM

555 posts, read 501,583 times
Quote:
Surely you jest! Yes, let's look at India. Here are their literacy statistics:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...rate-in-india/
In 2015, a full 37% of women were illiterate, and 19% of men, a total of 28%, over 1 in 5. Yes, yes, YES, let's adopt their system. India doesn't spend a lot of "their time" on education OR athletics.
Putting aside the facts that India is still a developing country, is incredibly diverse in languages, religions and cultures, and is also struggling to come out of the caste system -- each of which greatly contribute to the illiteracy numbers you're citing here, India does focus more on education. Not that I'm a proponent of adopting their "system" in education, as they tend to segregate students based on achievement starting pretty early, but the top tier of students do spend a LOT of time studying. And they are absolutely outpacing us in math and science. Spend 5 minutes working in software development and you'll understand a little more what the poster's point is here.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedLife View Post
Putting aside the facts that India is still a developing country, is incredibly diverse in languages, religions and cultures, and is also struggling to come out of the caste system -- each of which greatly contribute to the illiteracy numbers you're citing here, India does focus more on education. Not that I'm a proponent of adopting their "system" in education, as they tend to segregate students based on achievement starting pretty early, but the top tier of students do spend a LOT of time studying. And they are absolutely outpacing us in math and science. Spend 5 minutes working in software development and you'll understand a little more what the poster's point is here.
1. You're obviously working with the top students.
2. I have discussed this issue more than once with my husband who spent 35 years in IT. He disagrees that the Indian computer people are better educated. The main advantage to computer companies is that the Indians on the H1-b visas work for less.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:31 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,526,504 times
I don't think this is true at all. When I was growing up, I was both an A-student, and an athlete. I got my name published in the local newspaper more times by making the honor roll, or national honor society or any other academic achievement more times than I did when I was on the basketball/football team. Pretty sure my mom still has all the clippings of them.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:44 AM

34 posts, read 21,145 times
I was "gifted" as a student. I was nurtured and praised to no end in elementary school, but then thrown into middle school like another number, mistakenly placed into a remedial math class (which destroyed my fragile 12 year old self-esteem), and then left to rot in other classes (not challenged). I felt like something was wrong with me. I did not re-gain confidence in school again until I went back to study engineering.

Point being: praise the smart kids, do not damper them on purpose (or by "accident"), and if you are going to build someone up through elementary, ensure your middle schools know how to integrate these children, and do not drop them like flies.

(A little personal, but I am sure I was not the only one!)

Old 07-10-2018, 10:16 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,053,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Don't that beat all. Someone actually said or wrote that, at 7 years old, you were retarded but reading at the level of a high school graduate? Did they know the meaning of the word "retarded", or were they retarded themselves?
There was a well-known case where my 2nd grade teacher told a student's mother that her son is "retarded". That kid ended up becoming a doctor.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:21 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,053,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
All of your posts tend to sound like you are a very unhappy, bitter person and you tend to do a lot of finger-pointing towards others. My parents told me stories about corporal punishment, getting wacked on the hand with a ruler, racial discrimination from teachers, and all the other stuff that was encouraged and permitted. Yet, they still had positive attitudes towards school and education. They considered it a privilege, just like some immigrants do today who come from places where getting an education is an extreme hardship.

I'm sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree with that. Would you or any reasonable person have told an African American during the Jim Crow era that they should just be happy that they are not slave? I seriously doubt it. Would you or any reasonable person tell a woman who is being sexually harassed and/or discriminated against in the workplace to just be happy that she is out of the kitchen? I seriously doubt it. So why should people who suffered abuse from teachers just suck it up and be happy that they got an education?

Old 07-10-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I don't think this is true at all. When I was growing up, I was both an A-student, and an athlete. I got my name published in the local newspaper more times by making the honor roll, or national honor society or any other academic achievement more times than I did when I was on the basketball/football team. Pretty sure my mom still has all the clippings of them.
I agree, and I think it's even moreso today. Back when my kids were in high school in the late 90s/early 2000s, the figure was 90+% involved in sports or other extracurriculars. I was at an alumni association meeting of my husband's alma mater, Caltech, and the speaker said most of the current students had done sports in HS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education