Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2018, 07:17 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,444,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry88 View Post
Most bullies come from families that seem fine on the outside, but you don't know what goes on in the privacy of the home.

These families present a wholesome image to the outside world and play out all their dysfunctions behind closed doors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2018, 07:39 AM

35,521 posts, read 17,797,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I thought Project Rachel was about abortion.
Rachel's Challenge. Sorry.

Old 09-03-2018, 08:01 AM
bjh

59,919 posts, read 30,261,334 times
Quote:
Most bullies come from families that seem fine on the outside, but you don't know what goes on in the privacy of the home. I played highschool football and other competitive sports, and know for a fact that many of my football peers were pressured and bullied by their parents which then manifested in their bullying kids in school. The western system is Roman. Survival of the fittest is taught in society. Violence is part of the fabric of western society. Just have a look at what people consider entertainment on tv and film. Just a derivative of Gladiators.

News flash: Violence is a world wide phenomenon. It's not just any one society.

Old 09-03-2018, 08:27 AM

329 posts, read 202,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
News flash: Violence is a world wide phenomenon. It's not just any one society.
It's just amplified exponentially here in the States.

Old 09-03-2018, 08:50 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,325,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Only doing one school makes it more of a case study than a study-study.
I cited sources. There it is. You would pick apart any study and find something wrong with it. Why don't you cite studies to totally disprove that one? And I'll pick those apart and find something wrong with those studies.

Old 09-03-2018, 08:50 AM
bjh

59,919 posts, read 30,261,334 times
Quote:
It's just amplified exponentially here in the States.
No it isn't really. Many areas of the world are far more violent.

Old 09-03-2018, 10:12 AM

254 posts, read 279,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I cited sources. There it is. You would pick apart any study and find something wrong with it. Why don't you cite studies to totally disprove that one? And I'll pick those apart and find something wrong with those studies.

Do you know of any other sources that back your claim? Here's a direct quote from the one source you did cite that indicates there isn't much creditably to the study which is probably why it is getting picked apart.

"Like many of my colleagues, I am quite stunned by this study,'' University of Illinois psychology professor and bullying expert Dorothy Espelage told TODAY.com. "My research clearly indicates that family and school climate matters in the demonstration of bullying. The study includes a small sample and is limited to one high school. This researcher is being very irresponsible in her take on the field and the efforts to prevent bullying."

That said, from my own anecdotal experience, I do agree with others that have commented that the popular bully can do a great deal of harm and it doesn't seem like schools have come up with an effective way of dealing with that type of bully. Threats to punish the bully doesn't seem to work because I suspect they know it is a bluff. Telling the victim to be a harder target doesn't doesn't seem to be a realistic solution. This puts the victim in a difficult situation because it doesn't seem like they have anyone to turn to for help.

I think increasing awareness about the power of the role of a by-stander to stopping bullying and increasing awareness for teachers to encourage a bully free classroom is probably the best bet.

Old 09-03-2018, 11:39 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,444,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflower_FL View Post
I think increasing awareness about the power of the role of a by-stander to stopping bullying and increasing awareness for teachers to encourage a bully free classroom is probably the best bet.
Say it louder for those in the cheap seats! You mentioning this just brought back memories of childhood bullying. I've kinda always been a target for people who are insecure. I remember one of my friends saying to me, "I still wanted to be your friend," when the bullying subsided. This had been my very best friend. We were inseparable. But even she took the bully's side because the desire not to be ostracized from the group was bigger than her loyalty to me. I say "loyalty" and not love, because even though she betrayed me, I knew she still loved me. She just wasn't strong enough to take a stand against the group. Children don't know any better, but I expect adults to. Unfortunately, these dynamics play out in adult relationships where there is often way more at stake than hurt feelings. The bystanders are more to blame (in my opinion) than the bully. The bully will take all the liberties he/she is allowed to take. Someone has to step in and assert some boundaries. The bully has no or poor boundaries.

Your comment made me realize that I've been empathetic since childhood. I def agree with the research that says these behaviors are learned within the family (the family is your first classroom). They are then sharpened in other situations...because we all carry our family baggage inside of us. It takes a lot of work to unlearn destructive relational patterns.

Old 09-03-2018, 12:50 PM

50,421 posts, read 23,999,031 times
Quote:
I already knew you would say exactly that.

That's why I hate posting links to studies. It's inevitable that someone will say "the study is too small". This gets old, it really does.

What do you think an appropriate size for a study should be? The fact is, I could post links to hundreds of studies and you'd criticize them all.
Come on. It was 133 students. I had student loads bigger that big when I taught. The smallest school I taught in had 800 kids. 133 is nothing to base any widespread conclusions on. In fact, any one study is usually not considered to be very conclusive at making broad statements about almost anything.

To say anything definitive about almost any studied topic I'd like to see bigger samples and multiple studies.

Old 09-03-2018, 12:54 PM

50,421 posts, read 23,999,031 times
Quote:
I guess you're an amateur on a mission.

It is rare that any study conclusively proves anything. Studies are not always set up properly. Researches are not always unbiased. Do successive studies point to exactly the same outcome?

If you don't those basic truths about "studies", then you probably shouldn't be quoting them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education