U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 07:03 AM

1,371 posts, read 932,094 times

Advertisements

Should I say an operations research analyst position or a operations research analyst position?

If considering keyword position, I feel like I should use a; if considering the next word operations, I feel like I should use an.

Which is correct?

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 07:37 AM

20,371 posts, read 8,035,348 times
You use a or an depending on the very next word. It's not like pluralizing something that you have to look down the sentence to figure out the noun you're making plural or singular. The use of a or an is to make the next sound sound better and easier to say. So you're not pronouncing two separate vowels together.

An operations analyst.

Old 08-04-2018, 07:37 AM

8,816 posts, read 5,016,054 times
I'm not a grammarian and there are so many rules and exceptions to rules, people could spend hours arguing over how many prepositions you should not end a sentence with. To me the simplest rule is "how does it sound when spoken aloud?" The ear is the best test. So "an Operations Research Analyst position" just sounds better. It just doesn't sound as awkward.

Old 08-04-2018, 11:15 AM

1,103 posts, read 804,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlebeH View Post
Should I say an operations research analyst position or a operations research analyst position?

If considering keyword position, I feel like I should use a; if considering the next word operations, I feel like I should use an.

Which is correct?

Thanks.
Grammatically; you should use ‘an’ if the next word starts with a vowel.( a,e,i,o,u) everything else can be ‘a’
So unless you were beginning the job description with ‘Research’, you should use ‘an’.

Casually; you can use whatever sounds best.

Old 08-04-2018, 11:44 AM

87,998 posts, read 81,903,060 times
Quote:

Which is correct?

Thanks.
What are you talking about? Use of "a" and "an" is not governed by the noun at the end of a descriptive phrase. It's governed by whether the word following the article begins with a vowel or consonant.

BTW, grammar questions belong in the "Writing" forum.

Old 08-04-2018, 12:20 PM

2,999 posts, read 5,644,455 times
Quote:

Which is correct?

Thanks.
an

Old 08-04-2018, 12:26 PM

8,091 posts, read 3,518,119 times
Is this, seriously, a question?

Old 08-04-2018, 03:59 PM

666 posts, read 379,032 times
An.

Next question, please.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:27 PM

5,347 posts, read 3,103,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What are you talking about? Use of "a" and "an" is not governed by the noun at the end of a descriptive phrase. It's governed by whether the word following the article begins with a vowel or consonant.

BTW, grammar questions belong in the "Writing" forum.
Or sounds like it begins with a vowel ... e.g., say you are talking about a football game in the SEC. You'd say "an SEC game" even though S is not a vowel ... it's pronounced as "es".

Old 08-06-2018, 09:23 PM

4,776 posts, read 7,081,366 times
...and if you really want to be pedantic, probably don't need 'analyst' and 'research' or even the word 'position'. It doesn't change the meaning much at all to say you're looking for an operations analyst or an operations researcher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education