Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 05:11 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,857,852 times

Advertisements

How would they prevent the kids from wandering the streets unless they are in "lockdown" mode all the time? Mandatory after-school activities?

I think that one of the reasons that most boarding schools work is that there is nowhere for the kids to go if they leave campus. If they could walk out the door and be right in the middle of the inner city, I just don't see how that would eradicate the drug/gang problems. I'm curious to know what the ideas are here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 09:39 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,343,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
How would they prevent the kids from wandering the streets unless they are in "lockdown" mode all the time? Mandatory after-school activities?

I think that one of the reasons that most boarding schools work is that there is nowhere for the kids to go if they leave campus. If they could walk out the door and be right in the middle of the inner city, I just don't see how that would eradicate the drug/gang problems. I'm curious to know what the ideas are here...
you're making the assumption that all boarding schools are in the middle of nowhere. there are urban/inner suburban boarding schools out there

not every inner city kid wants to be in the midst of gangs and violence, and not every inner city kid is a trouble maker. there are a lot of kids who would likely take comfort in a residential school and not go off into gang territory every night. there are brilliant kids going to substandard schools b/c they have no choice being raised in the projects (I don't know much about Chicago's magnet schools, but getting in there seems to be half luck, half nepotism).

I could see an inner city boarding school geared towards students w/ high GPAs/test scores (like a residential, college prep school). the only thing is that this set up still leaves the majority behind in the crap schools.

I'd rather see the city work to fix the current schools rather than spend money to build new ones that will only benefit a small portion of the population

Old 04-02-2008, 01:05 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times
When I was in kindergarten, only 5 years old, I could tell who were the bad kids, the troublemakers, from the good kids. My instinct for that was present at an early age. Whatever damage had been done to these kids, was done by their parents and home environment BEFORE they got to elementary school. The damage had already been done. The effects of this damage would show in a boarding school as well because as Muhammad Ali once said, "the problem is not in the place, it's in the PEOPLE. The people make the slums." You will find that in time, these boarding schools would become nightmares because the problem is not the place.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:13 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,829,848 times
We already have government run boarding schools for troubled kids from inner city high crime areas.

They are called Jails.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:28 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,376,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
When I was in kindergarten, only 5 years old, I could tell who were the bad kids, the troublemakers, from the good kids. My instinct for that was present at an early age. Whatever damage had been done to these kids, was done by their parents and home environment BEFORE they got to elementary school. The damage had already been done. The effects of this damage would show in a boarding school as well because as Muhammad Ali once said, "the problem is not in the place, it's in the PEOPLE. The people make the slums." You will find that in time, these boarding schools would become nightmares because the problem is not the place.
The problem is w/ the adult people who make a place (e.g. abusive, drug-addicted, homeless, non-existent parents) and who are modeling only bad behavior to the kids. I have a hard time believing a 5 y.o. can't make a turn-around. As a parent, coach and volunteer, I deal w/ grade school kids every day. These "troublemakers" know how to behave in front of me because they know the expectations and consequences (and children need and want the schedule, discipline and consequences a boarding school could provide).

Given the right environment, most kids can make positive changes. My friend has adopted 4 kids from inner city backgrounds. They were all over 5 when adopted and some had been "crack-babies." Of course, there are still many issues but when moved to a more nurturing environment, each child made dramatic improvements.

I believe that w/ the higher level of support and expectations a boarding school could provide, most of these kids could make a turn around. There are many good kids living in poverty and violence. Many would choose to get a good education and job if only they had the support and knowledge on how to do so. I've been a volunteer in the city for literacy and Junior Achievement. I've met many kids that are desperately searching for some way out. Often, they think sports or music is the only way. But a good education is the best way out.

My H.S. was filled w/gangs, violence, and drugs. Most of my friends got pregnant or dropped out of school by 16. Many went to jail. Probably less than 5% attended college. The ones who made it were the ones who had very strong support from family, school, or church. At my H.S. reunion, I met former gang members who were taken in by their church and are now ministers. I met former drug addicts who had joined the military and are now tradesmen. When kids in a society can't get any support from family or community, sheltering them in a more supportive environment (whether a church, military or boarding school) can be life-changing.

I still think educational intervention in the form of a public boarding school would have long-term positive societal AND economical impacts. I guess, on this forum, I'm a minority opinion.

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 04-03-2008 at 09:56 AM..

Old 04-03-2008, 09:52 AM

Just found this statistic (in the Chicago Tribune) about the SEED urban boarding school in D.C. (this model is being used for the Chicago boarding school proposal):

"The SEED School is the nation's oldest and most successful urban boarding school. Located in Washington, D.C., nearly 72 percent of SEED students, who hail from low-income and sometimes troubled backgrounds, go on to four-year colleges."

Old 04-03-2008, 10:22 AM

88,989 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Regarding the SEED Schools...

"In Washington, federal legislation was modified in order to provide funding to the SEED Foundation in an amount equal to approximately 2.7 multiplied by the standard per pupil allocation to other D.C. public schools. As an example, the Milwaukee Public Schools revenue limit is equal to $9,024 per pupil in 2006-07. If a multiplier similar to the D.C. model would have applied, funding would have totaled $24,365 per pupil for the proposed school for this school year. For the SEED School of Maryland, expected to open in 2008, state payments are expected to total $25,000 per pupil. An additional $7,000 will be paid by each pupil's resident school district, and $1,000 will come from private donations, for total operating cost of $33,000 per pupil."
http://www.legis.state.wi.us/lfb/2007-09budget/Budget%20Papers/652.pdf (broken link)

Per pupil costs to taxpayers are anywhere from $24,000 to $33,000 per year for one of these boarding schools. CPS currently has a per pupil funding amount of approx. $10,500 per year.

Who's going to pay to fund these boarding school students at 2.5 to more than 3 times the current rate? Taxpayers who are already taxed to extremes for their local public schools? The State of Illinois, which is already experiencing budget and deficit difficulties?

The idea has merit, but we need to find a more affordable, and therefore more sustainable alternative. We need to be able to help more than just a few students, too.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:05 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,370,975 times
Boarding schools are great for teaching kids about pecking orders and buggery.

And imagine the NEA being in charge of raising kids 24/7.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Per pupil costs to taxpayers are anywhere from $24,000 to $33,000 per year for one of these boarding schools. CPS currently has a per pupil funding amount of approx. $10,500 per year.

Who's going to pay to fund these boarding school students at 2.5 to more than 3 times the current rate? Taxpayers who are already taxed to extremes for their local public schools? The State of Illinois, which is already experiencing budget and deficit difficulties?

The idea has merit, but we need to find a more affordable, and therefore more sustainable alternative. We need to be able to help more than just a few students, too.
The CPS per student cost does not include the cost of additional public services to feed, house, and police many of these kids. And the long-term costs (increased unemployment, crime, prison building, welfare, Sect. 8, WICA/food stamps, etc.) to our society of having a low educated, low paid (thus lower income taxed) workforce. These are numbers I'd also like to have. I don't think the stated yearly per pupil costs reflect this.

I'm not sure if all IL districts are "taxed to extremes for public schools." Many districts have been fighting for years for minimal tax increases which haven't passed. Overall, the educational commitment by many IL taxpayers is lower than in other states (e.g. Minnesota) and our school performance reflects this. Financing schools by income tax rather than property tax could help. Education is the rare area where I advocate increased funding because I feel it is the foundation to a successful society and lower future costs. I would look at cutting many other services B4 education.

There are also other available resources. Funds are often successfully solicited from private investors, corporations and foundations. Many people have a strong desire and the money to help improve schools. I am a member of 2 associations that are constantly looking for ways to give away money to deserving youth. There is also much unclaimed scholarship money at the end of each year. A boarding school would be an excellent vehicle for this type of philanthropic investment.

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 04-03-2008 at 11:16 AM..

Old 04-03-2008, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
And imagine the NEA being in charge of raising kids 24/7.
Still better than the gangs, pimps, drug addicts and abusers that are currently raising many inner city kids....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education