Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

School systems: literacy rates, commitment choice, community college, guidance councilors

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 06:47 AM

471 posts, read 1,475,499 times

Advertisements

It's the quality.

Make the kids feel as if they are actually worth something and their education is meaningful.

Making us sit on disgusting chairs and desks, handing us used textbooks - It's basically giving us a reason to not want to take school seriously and/or go to school.

American schooling needs a total overhaul. We need updated, state of the art schools throughout the country. Forget placing billions into the military, put it into our economy and education system. Before long, we are going to lose super power status and we'll just sit and dwell with our abundance of AK47s and nukes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 12:31 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,370,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolistraffic View Post
It's the quality.

Make the kids feel as if they are actually worth something and their education is meaningful.

Making us sit on disgusting chairs and desks, handing us used textbooks - It's basically giving us a reason to not want to take school seriously and/or go to school.

American schooling needs a total overhaul. We need updated, state of the art schools throughout the country. Forget placing billions into the military, put it into our economy and education system. Before long, we are going to lose super power status and we'll just sit and dwell with our abundance of AK47s and nukes.

But the American family (or what passes for it in some neighborhoods) also needs an overhaul. We have generations of kids who learned with used books or no books at all, and who wrote on slates because no one could afford paper. They managed to invent the telephone, steam locomotives, wireless radio and the light bulb. They also built a transcontinental railroad, the Panama Canal, Hoover Dam and the New York City subway system.

The difference is that they grew up with parents who understood the need for an education, who valued reading and knowledge as a sure path to success, and who made their kids earn what they had instead of handing it to them.

We can pour trillions of dollars into our schools, but if the kid goes home to a family where knowledge is scorned as selling out there's nothing that a school can do for them.

Old 04-05-2008, 02:48 AM

217 posts, read 752,072 times
Quote:
It's the quality.

I will go further than the last poster. This is rhetorical whining...

American schooling needs a total overhaul. We need updated, state of the art schools throughout the country.

The last statement can be answered by telling you your parents need the same treatment at their jobs. What good is a state of the art school when you are already against earning an education to begin with? If you really want to learn it doesn't matter what you sit in for an hour or what condition your book is in. You could have a high tech CSI crime labs and lounge seating in your schools yet most kids would goof off because they have not learned from their parents they are worth something and their education is important.
Why make heroes of sports figures and entertainers? Is it the money they have? Do your parents or neighbors live like that? Me neither. Most people go to school to learn how to read and write as well as how to use mathematics as a tool. Feel privileged to live in the 21st century in America.

Most, if not all, of America needs to be taught self-discipline. With that you will have citizens that appreciate and respect themselves as well as others, their surroundings and what they are given for recreation or educational purposes
The notion of being "dissed" - disrespected - is a joke. Respect is earned and is not a right. That is one of the sorest topics I can point out about the adolescents - non adults - in my neighborhood.
Young people are loathe to heed their elders. I am 50. When I was brought up kids were taught not bother adults unless invited to. We surely knew how to address an elder. That was part of being raised.
The nucleus of family life has fallen apart in this country due to conceptions learned and practiced on TV and in the movies. Learning of each other over an odd timed meal of KFC chicken should be a red flag.
If parents laugh along with their children at the manner in which kids abuse others on TV or in the movies how are the children to know better?
The same extends to schooling. If parents look to schooling as nothing more than daycare what is to be expected?
The days of corporal punishment - spanking - are gone; that was a very useful deterrent. I know first hand. Your parents got a call that same day and you got a few more swats on your bottom when getting home. Why? because you "dissed" someone at school.
Kids are kids - they get out of hand at times but, it is the responsibility of parents to raise them correctly. make them do that homework and eliminate distractions such as video games and other pastimes with no redeeming virtues.
This was about schooling, correct? Taxes pay for schooling and other monies pay for further education. If the USA is lagging the rest of the world in education the first move has to be parents taking on an active role in those 12 years of education. Parents pay taxes, not children.
Otherwise, it is money wasted.
Waiting for a handout from the federal government concerning any of this means more tax dollars and in the long run tax increases.

Parents - straighten out your kids. You gotta be cruel to be kind. Take away the cell phones and video games that you pay for. Restrict computer time to homework only.

Old 04-05-2008, 04:39 AM

471 posts, read 1,475,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfister View Post
I will go further than the last poster. This is rhetorical whining...

American schooling needs a total overhaul. We need updated, state of the art schools throughout the country.

The last statement can be answered by telling you your parents need the same treatment at their jobs. What good is a state of the art school when you are already against earning an education to begin with? If you really want to learn it doesn't matter what you sit in for an hour or what condition your book is in. You could have a high tech CSI crime labs and lounge seating in your schools yet most kids would goof off because they have not learned from their parents they are worth something and their education is important.
Why make heroes of sports figures and entertainers? Is it the money they have? Do your parents or neighbors live like that? Me neither. Most people go to school to learn how to read and write as well as how to use mathematics as a tool. Feel privileged to live in the 21st century in America.

Most, if not all, of America needs to be taught self-discipline. With that you will have citizens that appreciate and respect themselves as well as others, their surroundings and what they are given for recreation or educational purposes
The notion of being "dissed" - disrespected - is a joke. Respect is earned and is not a right. That is one of the sorest topics I can point out about the adolescents - non adults - in my neighborhood.
Young people are loathe to heed their elders. I am 50. When I was brought up kids were taught not bother adults unless invited to. We surely knew how to address an elder. That was part of being raised.
The nucleus of family life has fallen apart in this country due to conceptions learned and practiced on TV and in the movies. Learning of each other over an odd timed meal of KFC chicken should be a red flag.
If parents laugh along with their children at the manner in which kids abuse others on TV or in the movies how are the children to know better?
The same extends to schooling. If parents look to schooling as nothing more than daycare what is to be expected?
The days of corporal punishment - spanking - are gone; that was a very useful deterrent. I know first hand. Your parents got a call that same day and you got a few more swats on your bottom when getting home. Why? because you "dissed" someone at school.
Kids are kids - they get out of hand at times but, it is the responsibility of parents to raise them correctly. make them do that homework and eliminate distractions such as video games and other pastimes with no redeeming virtues.
This was about schooling, correct? Taxes pay for schooling and other monies pay for further education. If the USA is lagging the rest of the world in education the first move has to be parents taking on an active role in those 12 years of education. Parents pay taxes, not children.
Otherwise, it is money wasted.
Waiting for a handout from the federal government concerning any of this means more tax dollars and in the long run tax increases.

Parents - straighten out your kids. You gotta be cruel to be kind. Take away the cell phones and video games that you pay for. Restrict computer time to homework only.
I'll be sure to tell my mom to take away my computers, in which I use to run my business. ;D

Old 04-05-2008, 01:44 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,235,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
But the American family (or what passes for it in some neighborhoods) also needs an overhaul. We have generations of kids who learned with used books or no books at all, and who wrote on slates because no one could afford paper. They managed to invent the telephone, steam locomotives, wireless radio and the light bulb. They also built a transcontinental railroad, the Panama Canal, Hoover Dam and the New York City subway system.

The difference is that they grew up with parents who understood the need for an education, who valued reading and knowledge as a sure path to success, and who made their kids earn what they had instead of handing it to them.

We can pour trillions of dollars into our schools, but if the kid goes home to a family where knowledge is scorned as selling out there's nothing that a school can do for them.
You have a good point, but you need to keep in mind that these people lived in a time where being educated was held in high regards.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
I'll be sure to tell my mom to take away my computers, in which I use to run my business. ;D

Wow, you can avoid the entire point, can't you?

Go into politics.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
You have a good point, but you need to keep in mind that these people lived in a time where being educated was held in high regards.
I am confused

Is education a multiple choice selection in life?
When at a cash register paying for my purchases that might equal $16.02 I will often give the clerk $21.02 so I get a $5 bill back and no change. I try to hand over as many pennies as I can to avoid receiving more.
My point? Most store clerks, younger people, have no idea of what to do with the extra bills or change. They merely enter into the register what they receive and hand over what the display prompts. Wow! It's magic!!
There used to be a time - a whopping 30 years ago - when a store clerk had to work this out in his/her head.
I guess we let the machines think for us these days and I am glad for the most part because the majority of people behind registers don't know simple math or how to read. Visit a bookstore - if you can find one - and observe the people that are into real literature.

What is "high regards" when one's education is involved?

Old 04-06-2008, 07:50 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,757,602 times
Quote:
It seems that all of the students in our school systems are failing or are far behind that of those students in other countries. It shocks me to read about literacy rates - how does one get through life?

In light of the fact that many are pushing that our youth be better educated I have a thought that public school could go on to 14 years if the student wants to do so. If unruly or GPA is not to a certain standard the student is dropped. There is no time/space for these students to waste of other's education as they did in the past.
This would be a commitment choice on the student's behalf and I can see more than a few students choosing so, especially those who have no chance of funding for further education but would wish to go to a community college at the least.
The candidates can be weeded out through the little used guidance councilors most schools already employ
The extra two years of HS could be applied to college credit with some agreements with some - most likely community colleges and state universities.

The main point of the whole idea...
"Is 12 years of school enough for American kids?"

I know most kids don't get support at home after school and their parents are to blame there. I have no idea of how to rectify that.
My idea is for those kids that can handle the homework they are assigned daily and have self discipline to complete it.

Balanced equation... Discipline = Education

SO??
My idea is this: Make school 10 or 11 years and cut 2 months off the summer vacation. Students forget about 1/2 of what they learned during the almost 3 months of summer time off. I would only give them one month off (July) and cut time off the school.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:52 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,981,691 times
Quote:
I am confused

Is education a multiple choice selection in life?
When at a cash register paying for my purchases that might equal $16.02 I will often give the clerk $21.02 so I get a $5 bill back and no change. I try to hand over as many pennies as I can to avoid receiving more.
My point? Most store clerks, younger people, have no idea of what to do with the extra bills or change. They merely enter into the register what they receive and hand over what the display prompts. Wow! It's magic!!
There used to be a time - a whopping 30 years ago - when a store clerk had to work this out in his/her head.
I guess we let the machines think for us these days and I am glad for the most part because the majority of people behind registers don't know simple math or how to read. Visit a bookstore - if you can find one - and observe the people that are into real literature.

Even worse is if they type in the $21.00 while you're still looking for the pennies, and then call a manager over for help when you hand them the two cents... This has happened to me on more than one occasion recently.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:53 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,235,605 times
Quote:
I am confused

I was responding to sean98125's post, did I dig for the pennies too long?

Throughout the 1800's, and in some places in the US up until the 1930's, receiving a proper education was something that was reserved for the wealthy, elite, and the other members of society who were in some way or another upper crust.

It was common for adolescents to receive a very rudimentary schooling before dropping out to work on the family farm full time. In the case of city dwellers, many dropped out to help out the family in one way or the other.

The elite not only could afford to continue with their schooling, it was 'mandatory'. It was chic. If you were rich, and an idiot, you would soon be a poor idiot as someone would take advantage of your low intellengce. Not like today were the ignorant can gain wealth through music or professional sports, etc.

Essentially, being educated back in the day was a means to live high society and vice versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education