Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 06:16 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,773,454 times

Advertisements

My guess is that in some second chance or alternative high schools kids are given a lot more leeway about what to wear than is typical. I know that's certainly the case here. But whether that extends to clothing extolling guns/drugs/booze I just can't say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2018, 06:19 PM

45,397 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
My guess is that in some second chance or alternative high schools kids are given a lot more leeway about what to wear than is typical. I know that's certainly the case here. But whether that extends to clothing extolling guns/drugs/booze I just can't say.
That's unusual. Many, if not most, alternative schools have tougher rules than a regular school. There's a reason why those kids are there and it's not because they follow rules well.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:29 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Our dress code says that shirts must be single color (except white) with decorations allowed only on the pockets or an approved campus spirit shirt. Older kids can wear college shirts on spirit days. A single logo is allowed, but no slogans.Spirit
wear must be campus/district specific and may include college wear as approved by administration.
Too many administrators, too much time on their hands. All in the name of school safety, no doubt but really quite stifling to broadening horizons and free thinking.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:58 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Our district east of Seattle has a policy. There are no specifics at all, it bans clothing that would cause a safety hazard, damage to School property ?? or disruption of the educational process. In other words, it apparently leaves the individual principals to interpret as they see appropriate.

Old 09-21-2018, 04:52 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,898,606 times
My DD just graduated high school this past year, but her school had a policy of disallowing clothing that 'promoted drugs/alcohol, tobacco' or contained profanity, obscene imagery, and/or bigoted and racist language. The school did not have too many issues but there was arguing when a student got sent home for wearing a t-shirt back from 2016 showing Trump stomping on Hillary. The principal found it inappropriate because he felt it promoted violence against women; people who disagreed with him said he was overreacting.

I remember my mom being called back in 1982 to my middle school because I was wearing a 'Blizzard of Oz' t-shirt. My mom was annoyed when she had to go back to the house and get me a new shirt The principal was shocked that my mom was aware that I had worn it, lol.

Nobody back then ever said anything about the Joe Camel t-shirts or Budweiser shorts we wore though

Times have changed.

Old 09-22-2018, 07:43 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
My high school principal claimed that it was legal to have a dress code for boys but not for girls. Yes, I am aware that was not likely the actual law, just what he told us. His response was to have no dress code at all for either gender, so clothes that promoted tobacco, alcohol, and drugs were allowed at the high school. They were not allowed in elementary or middle school.
From various news media stories and threads on here, it seems it's just the opposite, e.g. dress codes for girls (no spaghetti straps, crop tops, short shorts [not generally worn by guys]etc) but not boys (droopy pants, etc being allowed). I think most districts have gone to gender neutral codes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
My DD just graduated high school this past year, but her school had a policy of disallowing clothing that 'promoted drugs/alcohol, tobacco' or contained profanity, obscene imagery, and/or bigoted and racist language. The school did not have too many issues but there was arguing when a student got sent home for wearing a t-shirt back from 2016 showing Trump stomping on Hillary. The principal found it inappropriate because he felt it promoted violence against women; people who disagreed with him said he was overreacting.

I remember my mom being called back in 1982 to my middle school because I was wearing a 'Blizzard of Oz' t-shirt. My mom was annoyed when she had to go back to the house and get me a new shirt The principal was shocked that my mom was aware that I had worn it, lol.

Nobody back then ever said anything about the Joe Camel t-shirts or Budweiser shorts we wore though

Times have changed.
Right. My brother once wore a shirt to school back in the 60s that said "Budweiser, breakfast of champions". Nothing happened.

Old 09-22-2018, 11:18 AM

45,397 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
From various news media stories and threads on here, it seems it's just the opposite, e.g. dress codes for girls (no spaghetti straps, crop tops, short shorts [not generally worn by guys]etc) but not boys (droopy pants, etc being allowed). I think most districts have gone to gender neutral codes.

Right. My brother once wore a shirt to school back in the 60s that said "Budweiser, breakfast of champions". Nothing happened.
Spaghetti straps would drive us crazy. One person would say they passed muster and the girl (well, we did have one boy who'd wear cute little strapless numbers) would go around the corner and someone else would declare non-compliance.

We finally gave up on the baggin' and saggin' pants. We couldn't even enforce it when we went to uniforms (which were another circle of Hell and are actually a harder problem to manage. At least our uniform code was).

The Budweiser shirt might not have attracted notice, different times. Having said that, it wasn't until my Junior year in high school that girls could wear pants to school. That was 1970-71). Boys had fewer strictures but one I remember is collared shirts were required. Jeans weren't an issue because of the Depression era parents who raised us considered them "poor people's clothes".

Old 09-22-2018, 04:16 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
My brother's shirt was pretty hard to miss. 1970-71 was about the time nurses were allowed to wear pant suits instead of dresses as well. My theory is that skirts had gotten so short that pants were less "revealing" and more modest.

We could not wear jeans to school, though I don't think anything was written. Our parents were the same as you described. There actually were no girls'/womens' jeans back then, you had to wear mens' or childrens'. They just didn't fit all females.

Old 09-23-2018, 10:18 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,050,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I think that the difference is that girls and women are more likely to complain about dress codes that they don't like or feel are sexist, while boys and men are more willing to just suck it up and comply with dress codes that they don't like or they feel are sexist. Not saying that either gender is right or wrong on this issue.

In the case of my high school principal, I seriously doubt that there was any law on the books at the time saying that dress codes were legal or boys but illegal for girls. What I suspect is that he likely felt, whether correctly or incorrectly, the parents of girls would complain about dress codes, but parents of boys would not complain, or that courts would side with the school when the dress code was for boys, but side against the school when the dress code was for girls.

Old 09-23-2018, 11:37 PM

1,037 posts, read 435,522 times
"Bong hits for Jesus" is a good example of such, not allowed that is, and that was OFF school property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education