Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 12:07 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chabang View Post
Yeah, I'm getting fairly sick of it. For me, although I've met many great teachers, I've also met plenty of average and God awful teachers (like any profession). So I'm sick of people acting like it some hallowed profession with AMAZING people that DESERVE so much MORE, etc. I agree some do but not all. They also have great benefits, summers off, tons of holidays, unions that make it difficult for them to be fired, great retirement and health plans, etc. Salary is probably lower starting out depending on your state but the benefits are very good. When I was in college, a teaching degree was what the girls did who frankly weren't smart enough for other professions. It's well known as a soft major.
If they would agree to something similar to what Michelle Rhee wanted to implement in the documentary Waiting for Superman in which poor performing teachers were fired and high performers received higher compensation, I would be on board for everything they wanted. Of course, that proposal was shot down by the union.
There isn't a single teacher in my school or district who majored in education. We all have degrees, either undergrad or grad, in our fields.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:16 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
In all fairness, after being an educator for 33 years, I never heard the bold either.
To clarify, we're talking about teachers only getting credit for 5/6 of a year for each school year worked, when it comes to retirement.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:21 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,721,455 times
Quote:
Well, indirectly, it is...and certainly more "for the kids" that what appears to be your perspective.

Let's say you're a top notch teacher with excellent qualifications. Where are you going to go to work? The district where pay is $10,000 higher or $10,000 lower? The district where benefits are superior or the district where benefits are inferior?

It's no different than most professions/jobs. If you wanna hire the best people, you gotta pay 'em well.
If I told someone to give me money or your kids will suffer what would happen?

Old 09-20-2018, 01:12 PM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
There isn't a single teacher in my school or district who majored in education. We all have degrees, either undergrad or grad, in our fields.
I'm glad you mentioned that...and it's a misconception I try to clear up often.

I don't believe any of our middle school teachers had a degree in education, or if they did it was AFTER they had gotten a content area degree. My initial two degrees were in geology, with minors in meteorology and climate, geography, and education. My graduate degree was in ed admin and curriculum.

Old 09-20-2018, 01:13 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movn-on View Post
My point is that $300-$400 a month for health care looks like a pretty darn good benefit from my point of view! I thought that could be easily inferred from the context.
That’s what I assumed, but your point was misguided. The PPs weren’t saying they thought their payments were high. They weren’t complaining. The responses were to those who were saying teachers get “free healthcare”. The point you were trying to make was irrelevant.

Old 09-20-2018, 01:13 PM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
To clarify, we're talking about teachers only getting credit for 5/6 of a year for each school year worked, when it comes to retirement.
I understand. Never heard of that. I retired with 33 years of credit because I had taught or administered for 33 years.

Old 09-20-2018, 01:16 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
I find it somewhat funny that “I’m tired of teachers complaining” threads like this are started by someone who is complaining about teachers and not actually by a complaining teacher.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:16 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,721,455 times
Quote:
Well, I think that post speaks for itself. Case closed. And on ignore...a waste of time trying to carry on an intelligent conversation with someone who posts like that.
If you can't do...Teach........If you're a can't teach, ignore the problem.....

Old 09-20-2018, 03:16 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chabang View Post
When I was in college, a teaching degree was what the girls did who frankly weren't smart enough for other professions. It's well known as a soft major.
This is true. At fourth tier colleges like that, an education major is a bit of a joke. At the better universities it is a challenging major and often requires five years to complete because the teachers have to essentially major in a field as well as learning the education part. They do not always get a degree in the specific field, but they have to take nearly all of the required classes for a degree in that field. So for example to be a chemistry teacher, they need to take nearly all the classes a chem major takes and also take all the education classes.

I am not sure teaching has more "girls" than other majors anymore. Now, women are allowed in all fields and most universities now 'have more women than men overall. Thus, my sons engineering school was 55% women. They are taking over the world. Men are going to be relegated to sitting at home and looking pretty.

Old 09-20-2018, 03:52 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Well this thread went down the rabbit hole pretty quick. Closed

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education