Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 02:54 PM

2,269 posts, read 1,637,474 times

Advertisements

A friend sent me this short video today. I just thought it was interesting and would share it here to see others’ reactions.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e1uijt3Ydqs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2018, 02:56 PM

45,340 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Should be "One possible reason why some students fail". Grit has been the new buzzword the last three or four years. It's due to change in 2020.

Old 10-09-2018, 07:03 PM

19,777 posts, read 18,064,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
A friend sent me this short video today. I just thought it was interesting and would share it here to see others’ reactions.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e1uijt3Ydqs
Given the various contexts the young woman was talking about I'd agree grit is a key determinant.

1). Forgive any perceived parental gloating. My son is a neurosurgery resident (PGY-2) at a very tippy top program. No amount of grit gets someone of normal intelligence where he is.

2). And still dividing first world humans into quintiles:
The bottom quintile has all of the lowest avg. income, lowest avg. educational attainment and lowest avg. IQ.
The next quintile has the second lowest avg. income, educational attainment and IQ
The next quintile has the third lowest avg. income, educational attainment and IQ
The next quintile has the fourth lowest avg. income, educational attainment and IQ
The next quintile has the highest avg. income, educational attainment and IQ

Old 10-09-2018, 07:32 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,672,692 times
Grit may be part of a brain developmental stage. A stage that, perhaps, some people never develop. Through my teens I did not have grit. That part my personality developed later.

My son was very successful in school without grit. He did not do homework or take his schoolwork seriously and sailed through every class effortlessly. That became problematic for him at his first attempt at college when he actually had to work and maintain attendance. And no amount of consequences were effective when he was young. He now has grit and works very hard. Like me he developed it late.

My daughter came out of my womb with grit. I never taught her, she just has always been that way.

Old 10-09-2018, 07:46 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,609 posts, read 17,940,183 times
Wow. This is pretty much useless, if she doesn't share what the measures of "grit" are!!

She says they were able to measure grit through questionnaires, and found the grittiest kids were the ones who succeeded.

HELLO?? What is a concrete way, through a questionnaire, to measure grit?

Old 10-09-2018, 08:34 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,082,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Wow. This is pretty much useless, if she doesn't share what the measures of "grit" are!!

She says they were able to measure grit through questionnaires, and found the grittiest kids were the ones who succeeded.

Here is a link to an article she wrote on measuring grit... https://www.dropbox.com/s/ht3pqgfnsj...tters.pdf?dl=0

Old 10-10-2018, 09:48 AM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

"Passion, perseverance, and stamina" she said, were her definitions of "grit". I don't think anyone in my school had "passion", but they all graduated. I'd say discipline is one of the most important factors. She did say that "grit" was especially important for disadvantaged kids. That makes a little more sense, in terms of having the motivation to succeed against all odds.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:23 AM

45,340 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
"Passion, perseverance, and stamina" she said, were her definitions of "grit". I don't think anyone in my school had "passion", but they all graduated. I'd say discipline is one of the most important factors. She did say that "grit" was especially important for disadvantaged kids. That makes a little more sense, in terms of having the motivation to succeed against all odds.
And here's the thing. Many disadvantaged kids have zero, or very little, encouragement from outside. Schools have them for 6 or 7 hours a day, feed them a couple meals, and then they go back to their dysfunctional home environment.

I'll even go further and say the generally middle/upper middle class kids I taught were much the same. Even at that level there was little parental support for many of them. And no, or rather Hell no, it wasn't because the parents were working two or three jobs. It was because too many parents wanted to live their own lives and put their kids on autopilot.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:14 AM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
And here's the thing. Many disadvantaged kids have zero, or very little, encouragement from outside. Schools have them for 6 or 7 hours a day, feed them a couple meals, and then they go back to their dysfunctional home environment.

I'll even go further and say the generally middle/upper middle class kids I taught were much the same. Even at that level there was little parental support for many of them. And no, or rather Hell no, it wasn't because the parents were working two or three jobs. It was because too many parents wanted to live their own lives and put their kids on autopilot.
I was thinking this, too. Discipline, and parental support, clear parental expectations, are key, but there needs to be a good bond between the parents and the kids, so the kids won't just blow off their parents' expectations. I have a friend who probably should have been in a gifted program in school, but who only bothered to study for the courses that interested him. This, despite brilliant parents who expected him to succeed. IMO it means there was something wrong in the family unit, to account for the disregard for the parents' education values. The "autopilot" phenom wasn't the case here, but I've definitely seen that.

Great post!

Old 10-10-2018, 12:28 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,432,574 times
I don't know why we're still talking about this.

Some kids are a sponge for everything they ingest, and require little to no studying to ace all classes.
Some kids are a sponge for selective subjects they're interested in, "history buffs" and "math whizzes".
Some kids cannot retain new material that is not relevant to their immediate well-being and do not understand preparing themselves for something in the future. The work->reward association was broken since childhood and is missing due to either parenting or lack thereof.

Bad habits developed and not curtailed in the developmental years are difficult to break later in life without constant monitoring and motivation or a traumatic experience. Neither of which are ideal in either conservation of resources (literally a lifetime parent or mentor to keep this person on track) or feasibility (spending X amount of resources in trial-and-error to find out how to "reach" an unmotivated person).

Yes, it's possible that a family of successful children will also include a Rosemary Kennedy of the bunch. These individuals often outwardly rebel and do so via action, not inaction. There is no such thing as introverted rebellion. The lack of motivation and lethargy are present in children who were not engaged socially.

It's also possible that someone from a broken home becomes a billionaire. This is often done by rebellion via action. Leaving their dire circumstances as quickly as they can. Vowing never to live like that again. An active desire and survival instinct to avoid an abusive or neglectful environment keeps them moving forward.

Certain pairings of personalities and parenting bring you these diverse outcomes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education