Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 08:38 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,577 posts, read 57,526,122 times

Advertisements

many choices. Inexpensive / free international U's for USA ad others
https://www.student.com/articles/cou...y-free-europe/
https://www.valuecolleges.com/intern...ree-education/
https://www.degreequery.com/free-int...-universities/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 04:51 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,164,681 times
When I lived in Jordan and already had a residence card, I enrolled as a full-time undergraduate at the University of Jordan. I was not charged any fee, nor was any other student. Long time ago.

So I presume, it would work with a combination of 1) tuition-free college and 2) already have a non-student residence card.

Old 03-17-2019, 02:07 AM

5,984 posts, read 3,425,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Room and board and travel expenses are still unaffordable for a lot of students. Studying abroad is a racket and basically only for the wealthy.

Obviously not true. I'm not from anything close to a wealthy family but in 2015 I got a scholarship to spend a year in Geneva after my undergrad; everything was covered including room and board. The program was a great career-builder (though a bit intense), and I even had a bit of extra scholarship money left over to do some traveling in the Alps.

Last edited by Shalop; 03-17-2019 at 02:17 AM..

Old 03-19-2019, 06:36 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,577 posts, read 57,526,122 times
If you eat, sleep, and live like a 'local' it is likely your international edu destination may be less cost of living than USA.

Old 03-20-2019, 11:26 AM

8 posts, read 3,449 times
Yes, of course, now there are a lot of opportunities for free study abroad.

Old 04-07-2021, 01:31 AM

1 posts, read 394 times
You can't study abroad for free which includes your accommodation and travel expenses, instead of that you can avail scholarships.

Old 04-09-2021, 04:38 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,756,764 times
If you are talking about doing study abroad as part of your college education and earning college credits while doing so, you will have to pay for it either out of your pocket or via loan/scholarships.

If you are talking about general learning, plenty of ways to do it for free depending on your comfort level. I do not recommend stowing away in a plane cargo hold though.

Old 04-15-2021, 01:15 AM

11 posts, read 6,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Room and board and travel expenses are still unaffordable for a lot of students. Studying abroad is a racket and basically only for the wealthy.
In some countries there are full-ride scholarships that cover room and board, books, travel, and supplies.

Old 04-15-2021, 09:19 AM

7,132 posts, read 3,960,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesleyParker View Post
In some countries there are full-ride scholarships that cover room and board, books, travel, and supplies.
For their own citizens. With the exception of Vietnam.

For US citizens:
Quote:
Sources of scholarships for U.S. students to study abroad include:

American Institute for Foreign Study (AIFS)
Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship
Council for International Exchange of Scholars (CIES) – Fulbright Fellowships for U.S. Citizens
Education Abroad Network
George Mitchell Scholarships
Marshall Scholarships
Rhodes Scholarship
The Rotary Foundation
https://www.edvisors.com/scholarship...udying-abroad/

These are extremely difficult to win.

My son did a semester abroad for almost free because he won an award at his US university. There is only one award each year. We still paid for airfare but the rest of it was discounted.

I think it's great if it happens, but I wouldn't count on it.

Last edited by YorktownGal; 04-15-2021 at 09:50 AM..

Old 05-02-2021, 01:33 PM

12,969 posts, read 7,344,188 times
DS did his master's in foreign country with mostly paid expenses. He did come home with extra money because of currency rates. We paid for airfare as we had done in the previous 4 years. He had a grand time. He lived like a local, cheap rooms.
His area of training is such that unless one gets some cost discount or networking, there is little value in getting either a master's or phd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education