Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 01:30 PM

334 posts, read 224,998 times

Advertisements

Loved it in high school. My friends and I even did some extracurricular dissecting on the salmon, rabbits, deer we hunted and fished instead of just butchering them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 01:35 PM

14,785 posts, read 23,965,127 times
I took an f and I saw no need in dissection unless I was going into the medical field thank God my father agreed and knew I would taking an f for that class we had no partners so no one got an f except for me . My dad let it go because he and I had a talk about it and how cruel it was and just not something I wanted to do being an animal lover . Of course the teacher had a problem with it and my dad told her to sod off . That woman never looked my way again for the rest of the year and can I say I was grateful for such .

Old 11-07-2018, 04:23 PM

1,299 posts, read 815,448 times
I found it interesting. Until the day in first year biology when we all showed up to class, and there was a sign on the door stating the fetal pigs we'd started the week before had gone rotten, so class was cancelled! The lab stunk for weeks afterward. Ugh.

Old 11-07-2018, 04:44 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,025,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I should be embarrassed to tell this story, but:

When I was in high school biology, I couldn't make the first cut, so my lab partner had to do that. Then I did the rest of the dissection.

A decade later, when I was an earth and general science teacher, I got stuck with one class of biology for "low level" students. When it came time for frog dissection, the principal decided that the "low level" students didn't need to do the frog dissection, so to save money, they would watch a film. My students were furious...after all, it's a highlight of the biology course. Well, there was a small swamp out in back of the school, so a couple of students and I went out after school and caught a dozen toads...the frogs were too fast for us...and just how different could they be. But I couldn't stand the idea of pithing them (sticking a needle in the brain to cause death), so I got a huge bell jar and put the toads in there along with a large piece of cotton soaked in chloroform (this was in the 1970s, and we had it in the chemistry lab). The toads were in their all night, and the next early afternoon when we did the lab I thoroughly rinsed off the toads, the kids pinned the toads to the wax dissecting trays...and about half of the toads weren't dead and became conscious...fortunately before we started dissection. What a nightmare. Another night in the bell jar took care of situation. All because the principal didn't want to waste money buying 12 frogs and they had a geologist teaching biology.
OMG, that is actually hysterical ... a bunch of kids & their undead, “zombie” frogs!

Old 11-07-2018, 04:45 PM

24,276 posts, read 16,947,120 times
I have always been interested in science and biology but I'm glad that any class I ever took didn't go beyond dissecting a frog. I think it would have been wrong to cut open a pig or a cat. When you think about it what are they hoping the average student is going to learn from that? I can see if one has a science major or is planning on medical school but why kill the cats and pigs? I'm sure if given a choice those animals wouldn't have donated their young bodies to science.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:00 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,535,002 times
When I was in a zoology class at Oregon State, one of our lab activities was to dissect nightcrawlers (a large type of angleworm), while they were still living, so we could see their row of 5 hearts, beating. But the budget for the class was limited and they only bought one scrawny worm for every four students.

But years before, my father had obtained several dozen of a giant species of nightcrawler from somewhere and planted them on our farm. They expanded their population to become many thousands. So I went home before the next lab session and on a rainy spring evening, caught 100 of the biggest ones. The lab instructors were delighted to get them and all the students had large worms to themselves. The other lab section got them also and the rest were planted at the campus farm, where they multiplied and are probably still there.

By delicately slicing into the skin of the nightcrawlers, those 5 hearts could be seen, throbbing away. Most people think that a worm is just a gooey mess inside, but if you open them up carefully, you can see their amazing anatomy at work. An interesting thing is that they're hermaphroditic, having both male and female sexual parts. When you see them partially emerged from their holes on wet nights, they're looking for partners, to do what's called, "conjugating" or to have a double, reciprocating hookup, 69 style.

One of our lab instructors, before Woody Allen ever used his version of this line, explained hermaphroditic sex as "Doubling your pleasure, doubling your fun" (apologies to Wrigley's chewing gum). There are some people, such as survivalists, who eat worms like this, chewing them right down, when lost in the jungle. Aren't you all glad that I'm not your children's biology instructor?

Old 11-07-2018, 07:17 PM

6,707 posts, read 4,691,464 times
I didn't enjoy knowing the frogs we're killed just do we could dissect them but I wasn't squeamish about it. I am not a snowflake.... I poked plenty of roadkill with sticks when I was a child. I can remember the bloated bellies moving from the maggots inside. I guess I (and the other dirty nasty little children) was just lucky one never exploded.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:23 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,088,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I have always been interested in science and biology but I'm glad that any class I ever took didn't go beyond dissecting a frog. I think it would have been wrong to cut open a pig or a cat. When you think about it what are they hoping the average student is going to learn from that? I can see if one has a science major or is planning on medical school but why kill the cats and pigs? I'm sure if given a choice those animals wouldn't have donated their young bodies to science.
Agree.

Old 11-07-2018, 08:07 PM

26,637 posts, read 28,457,627 times
I couldn't stand it in high school. In college we had the same frog for the entire semester, twice a week, same frog (or what was left of it.) Pretty bad.

I married a biology teacher who gave the class LIVE frogs and he would fail anyone who wouldn't kill their own frog. I talked him into stopping this practice. I told him that it was wrong to punish people for not being able to kill. Then I got a divorce, lol.

Old 11-07-2018, 08:21 PM

50,220 posts, read 23,846,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I couldn't stand it in high school. In college we had the same frog for the entire semester, twice a week, same frog (or what was left of it.) Pretty bad.

I married a biology teacher who gave the class LIVE frogs and he would fail anyone who wouldn't kill their own frog. I talked him into stopping this practice. I told him that it was wrong to punish people for not being able to kill. Then I got a divorce, lol.
...and hopped right out of that marriage!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education