Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 08:53 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I said "read the news" not "read the newspaper." They have multiple sources they get it from.

Ok, that's kind of what I said. 1999 was booming. 2009 was crash.

Being able to quote a percentage does not get into the meaning behind the statistics. For a college degree to pay more, there has to be more job openings that degree holders. When more people have the degree than there are jobs, the price companies are willing to pay for those jobs goes down. You say that no one is pushing college for everyone, so do you support bringing back Vo-Tech education into high school? When should we suggest to students they've be better off in a trade -- before they graduate high school or after the fail out of college?
No need to get into a pissing match about millennials and the news, I guess. Half don't read newspapers or news magazines online, either. My DD does subscribe to the Denver Post, but she doesn't watch local news on TV.
Study: Half of millennials don't read online newspapers or magazines - Business Review

Few millennials were working in 1999. The oldest would have been about 17, if you use 1982 as the beginning of that generation. There was a crash here in 2001, after 9/11, then the big one in 2008/09.

So no matter what I said about college stats you'd say I can't intuit "the meaning" of them. MmmKay. My district has a vo-tech program, half day at the Technical Education Center and half day in regular high school. They are combined now with another district that dropped their vo-tech for lack of enrollment, even though they're a larger district than ours. So basically, it's kind of impossible to bring Vo-tech back when it's still there. The offerings have changed a lot since I started following school issues, and there's more connection with the CC system. Here's a link if you're interested. https://www.bvsd.org/high/arapahoe/Pages/TEC.aspx

I don't know how to get it through your consciousness that even the trades have changed over the years, there's more technology involved. You can't teach a HS student who can barely pass a low-level math course how to fix a car these days; they have to know computers, for ex. They don't even do CNA programs at the TEC any more. It's not as simple as it used to be. People in hospitals are sick, very sick. They need people who have a little education to care for them. Would you want your loved one cared for by someone who again, couldn't pass more than basic math/science courses in high school? And don't tell me there are all these uneducated caregivers who somehow have "the touch" that are the best ones. Since my husband has been sick and in the hospital a lot, I've noted that the nurses have a dual role, one of caregiver (baths, bedmaking, meal delivery, stuff like that) and high tech person (chemo administration and the like).

And speaking of that last statement, you and your gang are always saying trades aren't a "lesser" education, they're just different, but you talk of people who "fail out of college" as being more suitable for trades. So you are saying it's a lower level. Got it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2018, 09:01 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
There are three good options.
1. Go to college for a career degree. Once you’re employed and making good money then go back to school and take all those courses that don’t directly relate to a good paying job.
2. Go to some form of vocational school to learn a trade.
3. Join the military specifically to go after a particular job field and receive hands on training. If that job isn’t to your liking then you can go to college or trade school after your military service is complete. In some commands you can take college courses while serving the military.

Old 12-29-2018, 09:13 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
No need to get into a pissing match about millennials and the news, I guess. Half don't read newspapers or news magazines online, either. My DD does subscribe to the Denver Post, but she doesn't watch local news on TV.
Study: Half of millennials don't read online newspapers or magazines - Business Review

Few millennials were working in 1999. The oldest would have been about 17, if you use 1982 as the beginning of that generation. There was a crash here in 2001, after 9/11, then the big one in 2008/09.

So no matter what I said about college stats you'd say I can't intuit "the meaning" of them. MmmKay. My district has a vo-tech program, half day at the Technical Education Center and half day in regular high school. They are combined now with another district that dropped their vo-tech for lack of enrollment, even though they're a larger district than ours. So basically, it's kind of impossible to bring Vo-tech back when it's still there. The offerings have changed a lot since I started following school issues, and there's more connection with the CC system. Here's a link if you're interested. https://www.bvsd.org/high/arapahoe/Pages/TEC.aspx

I don't know how to get it through your consciousness that even the trades have changed over the years, there's more technology involved. You can't teach a HS student who can barely pass a low-level math course how to fix a car these days; they have to know computers, for ex. They don't even do CNA programs at the TEC any more. It's not as simple as it used to be. People in hospitals are sick, very sick. They need people who have a little education to care for them. Would you want your loved one cared for by someone who again, couldn't pass more than basic math/science courses in high school? And don't tell me there are all these uneducated caregivers who somehow have "the touch" that are the best ones. Since my husband has been sick and in the hospital a lot, I've noted that the nurses have a dual role, one of caregiver (baths, bedmaking, meal delivery, stuff like that) and high tech person (chemo administration and the like).

And speaking of that last statement, you and your gang are always saying trades aren't a "lesser" education, they're just different, but you talk of people who "fail out of college" as being more suitable for trades. So you are saying it's a lower level. Got it!
Not necessarily on the last paragraph. I graduated high school in 1987. I tried to teach a classmate algebra. No matter how I and the teacher tried he just couldn’t get the lessons. I was beginning to think he was just dumb. We got to talking and it turns out he isn’t dumb, his mind just works differently. He was a farmer. He raised and treated livestock, he operated and repaired large farming tractors, he performed soil chemical test, he measured and adjusted the types of chemicals to use to treat the soil for each of the different types of crops. He knew things I would never know. He ended up dropping out of school. His family needed him to run the family farm.

I work in a hospital and some doctors and nurses are incredibly stupid outside their medical field. I do general repair and run the boilers, generators, HVAC, and other systems. I’m no longer shocked by the spelling and grammar they use when filling out a service request. I once pulled out of a sink drain pipe metal knives and the nurse asked me to install a garbage disposal. One nurse in a large SUV demanded we raise the parking garage height bar so it won’t hit her vehicle. No matter how we explained to her she could not understand that if her vehicle is hitting the bar then her vehicle will get stuck in the garage. She wouldn’t listen to us so the security and nursing supervisor had to order her to turn around.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:21 AM

3,786 posts, read 5,329,611 times
Quote:
Not necessarily. Someone who isn't inclined or interested in memorizing the latest gender-studies b.s. might be more mechanically inclined and, thus, a better fit for the skilled trades. Some of the smartest people I know work as mechanics, contractors, and farmers.

These days, I question the intelligence of many who do attend university. Many university majors are extremely questionable as to their value to both the individual and society.

Old 12-29-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Not necessarily. Someone who isn't inclined or interested in memorizing the latest gender-studies b.s. might be more mechanically inclined and, thus, a better fit for the skilled trades. Some of the smartest people I know work as mechanics, contractors, and farmers.

These days, I question the intelligence of many who do attend university. Many university majors are extremely questionable as to their value to both the individual and society.
You are not following the thread. tnff has said, many, many times over that Vo-tech is just another option, equal with college prep. I was responding to his comment about people going into Vo-tech after "failing out of college". I think that is an admission that he doesn't think the two options, Vo-tech and college prep, are equal for high school.

The most popular college major is Computer Science, followed by Communications, then Government/Political Science, Business, English Language and Literature, Psychology, Nursing, Chemical Engineering, and Biology. None sound questionable to me. Some are foundations for further graduate study.
https://www.princetonreview.com/coll...college-majors

Old 12-29-2018, 01:16 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Quote:
All kids learn keyboarding.
Do they? I thought they just used their thumbs on their phones. Because I know many adults who never learned to type and just use 2 or 4 fingers. I've been wondering if kids learn to type these days. I think it was optional back when I was in school.

Old 12-29-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Do they? I thought they just used their thumbs on their phones. Because I know many adults who never learned to type and just use 2 or 4 fingers. I've been wondering if kids learn to type these days. I think it was optional back when I was in school.
Yes, even when my oldest was in K in SY 1989-90, the Kindergartners were taught keyboarding. That was back in the day when a computer in every classroom was still a dream in teacher's eyes.

Old 12-29-2018, 02:19 PM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Yes, even when my oldest was in K in SY 1989-90, the Kindergartners were taught keyboarding. That was back in the day when a computer in every classroom was still a dream in teacher's eyes.
"Keyboarding" and "typing" are not the same thing.

My daughter was taught "keyboarding." I learned "secretarial typing."

I amazed her by being able to look directly at her and hold a conversation with her while typing something completely different, not glancing at the keyboard.

The difference between people who know how to type and people who know how to keyboard can be easily distinguished by those who prefer a Thinkpad keyboard and the Trackpoint to those who think a Surface keyboard is just as good.

Old 12-29-2018, 02:54 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Solar. Marijuana. Work in one or the other. Invest in one or the other.

Old 12-29-2018, 04:03 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Not everyone is college material, that is true. Not everyone would be happy in a trade, either. However, IMHO, there is no reason not to teach money management. How to invest. How to make good choices. How not to be sucked into buying unnecessary things because of advertising. The advantages of postponing gratification and responsible use of credit. A person with a big income can spend it all and end up with less assets than someone that makes less money but is more clever with it.

I don't think additional education is ever a bad thing.
No offense, but ‘investing’ in the USA today is a joke. Building Boulder Dam was an investment. Putting money in stocks is speculation, pure and simple. The total value of a ‘hot’ company’s stock is often far more than the company can make in profit, ever. We are speculating that someone will irrationally pay more later than we irrationally paid now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education