Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 05:56 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times

Advertisements

about a career path I would say, well you can either go to college rack up a boatload of student debt and maybe not find a job in your chosen field or worse yet find yourself working at Starbucks.

Or consider the trades. Minimal student debt, one to two years of education (and in certain programs, they pay you after the first year) and you can live anywhere and make good money, plus you can easily find a job. In my area electricians and plumbers make $80,000 to $100,000 a year. My auto mechanic owns four houses and he is his own boss working 40 hours a week.

I even saw an article about painters and maintenance workers in urban areas making close to $150K a year.

For the record I am a college grad. But 30 years ago having a degree was a ticket to making a good living. Not so much today. I think high school counselors are doing kids a disservice buy say you gotta go to college to make it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2018, 06:12 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
School systems are changing this. At least ours is, and promoting the trades and reinvesting in vocational education is a primary goal of our governor-elect.

Not everyone should go to college.

Convincing Gen-X parents who had "COLLEGE" drilled into their own heads is the hard part. Plus you'll have to convince the 18-year-olds who grew up on microwave food and whose own parents can't even change a tire and don't know their way around their own kitchen faucets.

Old 12-22-2018, 06:20 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
But 30 years ago having a degree was a ticket to making a good living. Not so much today. I think high school counselors are doing kids a disservice buy say you gotta go to college to make it.
Absolutely. For a good read, Rise of the Robots (nonfiction, well-researched) by Martin Ford paints even a worse picture for college grads. Essentially, most jobs in the next decades that we used to consider as needing a college education will be replaced by Big Data, machine learning, computers and algorithms---examples include much of the work of lawyers, radiologists, journalists, statisticians, teachers, librarians, mid-level managers, and more. It's the trades and (some) medical direct-care occupations that will survive.

Old 12-22-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post

---examples include much of the work of lawyers, radiologists, journalists, statisticians, teachers, librarians, mid-level managers, and more.
Many of those jobs still need human subjective decision-making and won't be completely automated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post

It's the trades and (some) medical direct-care occupations that will survive.
... particularly those in the geriatric field, given the numbers of baby boomers. However, this isn't exactly the millennials' preferred group to hang out with.

Old 12-22-2018, 06:39 PM

50,815 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
about a career path I would say, well you can either go to college rack up a boatload of student debt and maybe not find a job in your chosen field or worse yet find yourself working at Starbucks.

Or consider the trades. Minimal student debt, one to two years of education (and in certain programs, they pay you after the first year) and you can live anywhere and make good money, plus you can easily find a job. In my area electricians and plumbers make $80,000 to $100,000 a year. My auto mechanic owns four houses and he is his own boss working 40 hours a week.

I even saw an article about painters and maintenance workers in urban areas making close to $150K a year.

For the record I am a college grad. But 30 years ago having a degree was a ticket to making a good living. Not so much today. I think high school counselors are doing kids a disservice buy say you gotta go to college to make it.
I'd like you to provide some evidence for that considering: https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...cord/96493348/

Old 12-22-2018, 07:09 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,084,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'd like you to provide some evidence for that considering: https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...cord/96493348/
Yep. While high demand SKILLED trades can pay more than what your average college grad makes there aren't actually that many skilled trade jobs in the labor market compared to jobs that require a degree.

Old 12-22-2018, 08:21 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
I'd first find out what that 18 year old's skills and interests are. Then tailor my answer to that. It would start with what do they want to do and then which education path leads to that. The answer might be a specific trade or related trade group, or it might be a college degree in mechanical or electrical or other specific branch of engineering, or physics or specific branch of science, or one of the humanities or a business degree. There is no one answer and even saying "college" or "not college" is not specific enough to be useful.

Old 12-22-2018, 09:22 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
That's one dangerous link you provided. I had to quit my browser to leave the article. My daughter has a master degree, works at a hospital in her field and makes two thirds of what a plumber makes in her town of Reno. She has a boatload of student loan debt. The plumber has little if any student debt.

I'm not talking about some hamburger flipper or laborer. I'm talking about someone who learns a skill in the trades. How many college grads do you know making $80,000-$150,000 a year? some, but not all. I'm not saying one should not get a college degree. What I'm saying is one should consider all options and not think that college is the only option to making a good living.

Old 12-22-2018, 10:09 PM

50,815 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
That's one dangerous link you provided. I had to quit my browser to leave the article. My daughter has a master degree, works at a hospital in her field and makes two thirds of what a plumber makes in her town of Reno. She has a boatload of student loan debt. The plumber has little if any student debt.

I'm not talking about some hamburger flipper or laborer. I'm talking about someone who learns a skill in the trades. How many college grads do you know making $80,000-$150,000 a year? some, but not all. I'm not saying one should not get a college degree. What I'm saying is one should consider all options and not think that college is the only option to making a good living.
We can all point to individual situations. I guess we could say that drug dealers make tons of money, so everyone should become a drug dealer.

I showed data, you apparently have none.

Old 12-22-2018, 10:11 PM

“Go into the trades” is the new “join the Army, and they’ll pay for your education!”

It’s not for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education