Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2011, 12:18 AM

1 posts, read 6,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredmommy View Post
I live in Omaha, NE, and my 5 year old son has high functioning autism, which was actually diagnosed by our school district's (Millard Public Schools)early childhood intervention program, and he is going to be starting kindergarten next year in the district's Specialized Behavioral Support Program. Its a really good program located in a regular public school, and he will be mainstreamed as much as possible.
I live in Lavista how can I best help my son with Aspergers, I thin the papillion-lavista school district has been good so far, but I Want to make sure i provide the best education possible. Are you still in the Millard shool distric or have you found anythin else? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 04:08 PM

43 posts, read 132,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisdom- View Post
In response to the above question.....no I do not think inclusion is appropriate for all autistic children, but I do think they should be entitiled to inclusion. I am not sure how long it will take for the resources to catch up with the needs, but there needs to be a school for autistic children in every school district. The school should have 3 levels; ASD/high-functioning, moderate functioning and low funtioning. The school should not bound children who are different to state standards, which are based on typical children. I say forget the struggle of trying to teach my child algerba, instead teach them how to function in our society to the best of their ability. Oh, and 'this school' which does not exsist should teach things like social skills, transitioning, flexibility, help with OCD behaviors, independant living skills and ADL's. Oh and one more thing...this school should be publicially funded because if my tax dollars pay for your children to go school and learn, then your tax dollars should pay for my child to go to school and 'learn'. Inclusion is great, but why do we not have other public-funded schools we can send out children to if 'inclusion' is not working? And I don't mean the 'lock-down' facility where your child has to basically get kicked out of school to attend or having to 'beg'/fight your local school district just to get them to pay for an education that is more appropriate for your child.
I agree 100%!!!!!!

Old 02-13-2011, 01:16 PM

1 posts, read 6,333 times
I would stay away from MCPS schools in maryland they brag about their schools and Autism program in their schools but they have many problems and everything they do seems political. And they don't mind ignoring the laws under the IEP. no problem

Old 02-14-2011, 09:21 PM

1 posts, read 6,316 times
Default best school districts for autism in orange county california

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAdreamerinLI View Post
I live in Roslyn, Long Island and have a 10 yr old son with autism. Amazing programs and great support from our community. We are looking to move to CA and wonder if there are any self-contained verbal behavior based programs for children with autism/develepmental disabilities in the public schools? I am afraid to leave because we have it so good but there must be other communities like ours? Does anyone know about Southern California? I also have a 10th grader.
I was in orange county california with my two autistic sons for 3 years ,irvine unified and saddle back are good options but tustin unified contracts with private agencies that provide ABA therapy at home.Irvine have their own prople trained in ABA and tend not to consult with private agencies.I had to hire an advocate (Debra Borden) to go to iep meetings with me in order to get the services that I wanted.
I have heard good things about San Diego there are many agencies providing ABA and TEACH based traning to autistic kids based in San Diego but cannot tell you about specifically which school districts are better to work with.
Stay away from LA and Riverside counties if you can.Good Luck

Old 03-25-2011, 04:38 PM

1 posts, read 6,045 times
Default Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrivera1250 View Post
I live on Cape Cod. Mashpee to be exact, the school district is a joke. My child now goes to an autism school an hour from home and transported there daily. It took us 5 years to get her into an appropriate program. Our school try to force us to do the residental program because it was cheaper than transporting her!! Stay away from Cape Cod there are no schools, no funding and it is very very sad

I live on Cape Cod and struggling to find the right school for my 9 year old. What school off cape did you find?

Old 03-30-2011, 10:44 AM

3,405 posts, read 3,449,122 times
Carmel indiana is solid. We moved from michigan and are very happy with creekside middle school which has received a national grant for autism.

Last edited by mike0618; 03-30-2011 at 11:57 AM..

Old 05-10-2011, 02:14 AM

3 posts, read 12,478 times
Default we need a good school in VA for 13 year old autistic son

we moved to northern Virginia from seattle he was 4 then. We loved the Fairfax county school district they worked wonders on my son. he began speaking, reading and really blossomed then at age 10 we had to move to Loudoun county and everything has gone down hill. He is beginning to regress and bullying is not helping. i think mainly because the teacher (s) refuse to challenge him. but it goes further than that. i am really desperate to get him into a good school we are willing to go pretty much anywhere. and if there are scholarships out there for children like him to go to private schools that anyone knows of i would appreciate any ideas. thank you all so much

Old 05-10-2011, 11:10 AM

1 posts, read 5,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrickel View Post
We just moved from that area and I wouldn't suggest it. The staff are caring, but there just isn't any money. Be prepared to hire an advocate and make sure you know your rights. The districts count on your ignorance so they can save some $$$. We are now living in Austin, TX and my 8 year old is in an inclusion program, he gets an aide when needed, ot, speech, and social skills. The district is giving me a $100 allowance to attend classes/speeches for special needs. In addition, there are extracurricular activities that I didn't even have to pay for. In CA, the school wouldn't mainstream him and wouldn't provide an aide. He got speech and that's it.

Where abouts in Austin are you located? and could I please get the name of the school your child attends? We are currently in Yorba Linda, California the program here is amazing love it.. However we may be relocating to Austin for my husbands work. Any and all suggestions would be much appreciated

Old 05-26-2011, 06:10 AM

1 posts, read 4,802 times
Default Where in Austin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrickel View Post
We just moved from that area and I wouldn't suggest it. The staff are caring, but there just isn't any money. Be prepared to hire an advocate and make sure you know your rights. The districts count on your ignorance so they can save some $$$. We are now living in Austin, TX and my 8 year old is in an inclusion program, he gets an aide when needed, ot, speech, and social skills. The district is giving me a $100 allowance to attend classes/speeches for special needs. In addition, there are extracurricular activities that I didn't even have to pay for. In CA, the school wouldn't mainstream him and wouldn't provide an aide. He got speech and that's it.
I am considering a move to Austin. My 11 yo daughter has Asperger's. Can you tell me what school you are at specifically. After living in multiple states, I get the fact that it is usually the particular school/district that you are in which leads to a good or horrendous experience. Thanks.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:13 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,683,630 times
from what my wife tells me Texas and Pennsylvania are very good. My wife's son is severely autistic btw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education