Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 07:33 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times

Advertisements

Education of todays very young children kids will be pretty different from our education. They will need to learn things we cannot even imagine right now, and they wi not need to learn a lot of things we had to learn. A lot of things we learned (and use) will not longer be relevant for these kids. Some are school skills some are basic life skill taught by parents. A few come to mind:

How to drive (and certainly not manual transmission).

Cursive writing. (Already dying out).

Change the oil in a car. (Unlikely to be needed and probably impractical for most people anyway).

Typing. (Voice recognition and thumb typing have already pretty much taken over. A few places remain where typing is needed, but they will be gone by the time current pre-scholers are of working age.)

Change a tire. (Already dying out. Many new cars do not even have a spare).

Cooking other than the most rudimentary skills. (Prepackaged microwave meals are too convenient and keep getting better and better quality. Why cook?).

Tying shoes. (No need. Other types of fasteners work better).

Mow a lawn. (Robot lawn mowers are already becoming common).

Vacuum or mop (again robots already do this).

I wonder whether singing and playing music will remain a taught skill? As auto-tune and sampling improve music may become just an issue of operating a computer. Already many of the current pop starts are terribly singers and many are even terrible musicians. Will we still be teaching music to kids in 15 years? It helps develop logical thinking and math skills, but those skills can be developed in other ways. I hope so, but I wonder.

What else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 08:10 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,493,343 times
I disagree on many of these. While I agree that progress is being made, I don't see it being immediately available to everyone. Unless many lower income families today have a drastic change in economic status, I don't see self-driving cars, and robotic robots and lawnmowers as something everyone will have in 15 years or so....just the well-to-do's.

I also think that people will still do some of these things just because. My wife would crucify me if I ever suggested she buy a pre-packaged meal and cook that instead. I have some vintage cars that my young children have expressed interest in driving. Some have manual transmissions. They will learn to drive them if they want.

15 years comes quick. I know society is making progress, but I don' think it will be as quick as everyone thinks. I distinctly remember when I was 10 years old being told they might have flying cars by the time I got my license. I'm still waiting for my flying car.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:23 AM

211 posts, read 117,951 times
I was taught how to type on a typewriter in middle-school, and I'm not even 35. I wouldn't guess there are 100 total Americans under the age of 25 who could load, and use correctly, a typewriter.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:43 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
I disagree with almost the entire list. And no one I know has a robot doing anything for them.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:57 AM

2,966 posts, read 3,915,563 times
I disagree with this entire list.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:01 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I disagree with almost the entire list. And no one I know has a robot doing anything for them.
Ditto

Old 01-15-2019, 11:06 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Cooking yourself is the number one way to maintain a healthy diet.

Driving? Seriously? That's location dependent and not going anywhere.

Cleaning and home maintenance must are the most basic skills all homeowners should possess.

While it may be inconvenient and inefficient to change your own oil, everyone who owns a car should understand the principles and basic maintenance of engines. Many are not difficult.

I agree cursive is pointless, but typing is not.

Old 01-15-2019, 12:18 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
Yeah - tying shoes.

I have a story about this. About a block away from me lived a family with a number of issues working against them. Because of this I perceived of their children as neglected and used to do a little something with one or the other of them and sometimes all of them in the summertime.

The youngest was always walking around with his tennies untied and when I learned that he didn't know how to tie them I thought to teach him how. That would only take about a week, right? Guess not. We're talking slow learner here.

He struggled; I struggled. But finally he got it. Hooray! Joy and jubilation!

Imagine how disgusted I was when he showed up the night before school started with his new Velcro tennies saying, "Look, Lodestar - I don't have to tie my shoes anymore."

Maybe that's a good thing but I'm not sure. Somehow it felt like low expectations to me.

Old 01-15-2019, 01:09 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Voice dictation is still extremely unreliable. I can type faster than Siri/voice dictation can interpret what I'm saying, and that's assuming it does so accurately without the need to repeat what I said.

Autonomous cars may be the reality by the time today's babies are of driving age. With that said, I still don't see autonomous vehicles handling all potential driving patterns (rural, high rates of speed, snowy, extreme winding roads, wildlife frequently in road, off-road driving) for a long time to come. There are still going to be motorsports as well.

Tying your shoes? Other than tennis shoes, I don't think I have a pair of shoes with laces anymore. It's a personal preference.

Mowing is much the same as driving, but autonomous mowers will probably be more practical, sooner.

Many new cars do not have a spare tire, but there's still space for one, and there will still be flats. Oil changes aren't going anywhere as long as you have the ICE.

Old 01-15-2019, 03:30 PM

824 posts, read 705,177 times
maybe less religion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education