Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 07:05 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Actually, firearms safety was previously taught in schools. My elementary school had a program for 5th graders where they taught you basic marksmanship and gun safety with .22 rifles. My middle school had a similar but more in-depth program. In high school, we had about half a semester dedicated to firearms and we had a shooting club at school. Up until the late eighties and early nineties, school administrations did not react to firearms with the same irrational fear that they do today.

With the modern disdain of firearms and many parents holding a firm anti-gun stance, teaching children about gun safety is nearly a necessity. If nothing else, they will learn that a firearm is nothing but a tool - albeit a dangerous tool which should be treated with the same respect as any other dangerous tool. Children who learn to properly handle and respect firearms at a young age are far less likely to misuse them.
I went to school in DC in the early 80s. Whenever there was unpleasant weather, a good many of us used to eat lunch and hang out in "The Armory."

The Armory had once been just that. A place with a rifle range and storage. I have no idea when they disbanded that program.

Not so long ago, an old timer told me about going to school in DC in the early 50s. He would bring his .22 on the bus or ride his bike with it on the handlebars.

Different times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 08:46 AM

804 posts, read 545,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
Whether kids go on to be hunters or shooting enthusiasts or not, proper training in handling firearms can only be a good thing.
Even those that hate guns should take such a course.
Everybody in every state should have this enforcement on them. Including drivers education, horseback riding, swimming, and shop. The problem is the lazy factor of people.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:26 AM

29 posts, read 16,835 times
Try School Pins If you love to being school boy/girl. It will show how much you proud your schooling.

Old 02-20-2019, 04:18 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I think it's fine, but it's also sad that hunting and firearm safety which used to be taught by father figures (and supplemented by the Boy Scouts in many cases) is now taught by a government agency.

That's how it was when I was in high school. Marksmanship was part of the training each year....in JROTC.

As a member of the rifle team, I was an on the line instructor.

Been there, done that, and believe marksmanship is an excellent tool to teach anger management.

Now, GRANTED, we are potentially talking about two different things here. One is safety which we were taught way back then, too......................and the other is how to shoot, how to put rounds on target.

As to anything else, there is pride to what one does. Years after high school, on a rolling deck range, I remember another officer saying to me, "WOW! Where did you learn to shoot like that?".

Old 02-23-2019, 01:55 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
Whether kids go on to be hunters or shooting enthusiasts or not, proper training in handling firearms can only be a good thing.
Even those that hate guns should take such a course.
Agree. NYC high schools used to have target teams, the kids would carry their .22s on the subway. Then LBJ had JFK killed and the world went to hell.

Old 02-23-2019, 02:36 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Agree. NYC high schools used to have target teams, the kids would carry their .22s on the subway. Then LBJ had JFK killed and the world went to hell.
That theory about LBJ has been debunked so you need to get off the conspiracy theory train. There is one possibility that has not been debunked, but it is not LBJ.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/21/us/jf...ked/index.html

Quote:
5. "The CIA did it"

This is the conspiracy theory that interests Perry the most. "The problem is, of all of them, this is one I can't debunk," he laughs.
"Supposedly Kennedy was fed up with the shenanigans that the CIA was pulling," Perry said. "He found out the CIA was trying to kill (Cuban leader Fidel) Castro, which is a fact. So the argument is that the CIA felt that Kennedy was going to disband them. And as a result of that, they were the ones that ordered the killing of Kennedy."

Perry points out that a former head of the CIA, Allen Dulles, was a member of the Warren Commission, the special Johnson-appointed panel tasked with the official investigation of the assassination. The commission determined that Oswald acted alone.

Oswald was a supporter of Soviet-backed Cuba.
"We know Oswald was in the Russian embassy in Mexico City," Perry said. "We even know who he talked to. But we don't know what was said. Then a few weeks later, he shoots Kennedy."
"It may have been something that they overheard involving him and the Russians. Or, maybe the CIA had Oswald on the payroll. He might have been a double agent."

Is it possible that Russians ordered Oswald to do it?
Not likely, said Perry. The Russians would never have ordered Oswald to kill Kennedy because of his well-known links to Russia and his pro-Cuban sympathies. Russia's leaders knew they would have been the first suspects if they'd engineered an assassination by Oswald. It would have been an act of war, which could have triggered a nuclear attack.

"We need to know what happened in Mexico City," Perry said.

Old 02-25-2019, 04:12 AM

2 posts, read 1,591 times
kids of very small age should no too much close to the arms. after that their father should have to teach them the hunting.

Old 02-28-2019, 04:12 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
I remember taking a 20 gauge to 6th grade on the bus..
we were showing off our hunting guns..

I think this is awesome.......I also like archery

maine has the highest gun rate per capita and lowest crime rate

lots of hunters - I was taught to respect guns and how to handle...never about a weapon on a person..

Old 03-02-2019, 11:21 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
It’s only a week long course for 7th and 8th grades, I don’t see any harm. I didn’t see anything about the school not being able to afford drivers Ed, for the poster who stated that where did you see it? And any case, I don’t think I said anything to do with this. Drivers Ed is usually a semester long at least, this is only one week.

Old 03-07-2019, 10:00 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Our high school has a shooting team. They start by teaching safely. kind of the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education