Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 10:52 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times

Advertisements

The answer(s) is "B", the answer is always "B". Knowing this has made me the successful economist that I am today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 07:28 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
The answer(s) is "B", the answer is always "B". Knowing this has made me the successful economist that I am today.
I'm so glad YOU said that. When you don't have a clue, pick B.

I will say, on professionally generated tests like STAAR and SAT, that's less likely to be true.

All other tests, generated by non-professional test writers, pick B.

Old 01-29-2019, 08:21 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,397,493 times
I have an 8th grader in honors math. Never in the course of his education has he been allowed to use a calculator. That's pretty normal.

The tests are meant to have questions that run the spectrum. You can pick out the hardest questions, the ones that only the brighter kids will get, but that doesn't mean that that is the level that the average student is meant to be at. Those tests help figure out who is on track, below average, and who is above.

Old 01-29-2019, 06:26 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
I have an 8th grader in honors math. Never in the course of his education has he been allowed to use a calculator. That's pretty normal.

The tests are meant to have questions that run the spectrum. You can pick out the hardest questions, the ones that only the brighter kids will get, but that doesn't mean that that is the level that the average student is meant to be at. Those tests help figure out who is on track, below average, and who is above.
Well, the STAAR test has been used to determine who passes the grade and who has to be held back; it's not really a diagnostic to figure out where the student is on the achievement scale, as kind of a curiosity.

And I posted the whole test. Those questions weren't cherry picked. The entire test was posted.

Old 01-29-2019, 07:19 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
And I posted the whole test. Those questions weren't cherry picked. The entire test was posted.
Do you understand anything about how such tests are weighted? It's not a simple "X out of 30" calculation. Any student with a pulse can probably get 20% of academic test questions right. Only an advanced portion will get certain high-difficulty ones. Most will fall somewhere in between, but the scoring is weighted to represent achievement against a standard profile. It's basic to allow for over-achievers on such curves.

And I'm still puzzled as to how you can think "calculate the volume of a cylinder" is such an impossibly hard task for someone about to enter high school.

Old 01-29-2019, 11:22 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,862,705 times
Bear in mind that not all the questions on a standardized bubble test of this sort count toward the person's score, anyway. Some of them are questions that are being workshopped or gathering other performance data.

Old 02-02-2019, 01:06 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,293,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Do you understand anything about how such tests are weighted? It's not a simple "X out of 30" calculation. Any student with a pulse can probably get 20% of academic test questions right. Only an advanced portion will get certain high-difficulty ones. Most will fall somewhere in between, but the scoring is weighted to represent achievement against a standard profile. It's basic to allow for over-achievers on such curves.

And I'm still puzzled as to how you can think "calculate the volume of a cylinder" is such an impossibly hard task for someone about to enter high school.

Hmm. This "volume of a cylinder" has been mentioned twice, but I did not see it on the test. The test did ask for lateral surface area, however. If you figured the volume, you did not get the correct answer.

I have never lived in Texas and don't know how their kids are doing in math. But the Washington State high school kids I tutor would not be able to work most of the problems. Sad, but true.

Old 02-02-2019, 01:36 AM

334 posts, read 227,329 times
Seems about right to me, though it has been a while since I was in 8th grade. Took Algebra then and it was back before calculators were a thing ;-)

Old 02-02-2019, 01:39 AM

334 posts, read 227,329 times
Even after all these years, I did them in my head and got them all right

Old 02-02-2019, 12:02 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Hmm. This "volume of a cylinder" has been mentioned twice, but I did not see it on the test. The test did ask for lateral surface area, however.
Sorry, you're right. The problem stuck in my head as a simple volume calculation. However, no basic geometry surface or volume question should be beyond an upper-percentile 8th grader.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education