Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 03:16 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
You don't have enough information, here.

What in the world is a "genital man"? A naked man that's anatomically correct? A "man" that is a penis?

Did you actually SEE the pic he drew? Do you know, in general, how his behavior is?

A lot of kids who are 7 do that. They draw anatomically correct things. Dogs. People who might have belly buttons, breasts or genitals.

To get him removed from the class seems like an extreme over reaction to something that may be totally innocent, or something that he thought was funny and naughty but otherwise harmless.

If you go after this boy with guns blazing, don't expect any mercy if your daughter misbehaves or somehow offends another student during her life at that school.
Clara...this was grade 7, not age 7. At least according to the OP. We appear to be talking about kids about age 12.

Old 02-07-2019, 03:21 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
OP, I think there is a tool that can address this problem in a quick and easy manner, it is called an "eraser", and can usually be found on the end of a pencil. If it was drawn in ink, there is a thing called "Whiteout".

Am I the only Caveman here who thinks this has been blown completely out of proportion? When I was in 7th grade, I would have been told to "Knock that bs off" and maybe be ordered to apologize, and if I did, that would have been the end of it. Now, people expect a legal hearing, psychiatric evaluation for both parties, a lawsuit to hold the school responsible, and lifetime compensation for the victim, because a 12 year old boy drew a John Thomas on one of a female peer's books? Are we all such delicate snowflakes now such that SHE couldn't have simply told the kid to knock it off? What exactly is the message to the girl, here? I do not condone bullying, but think this has already gotten farther than it should have. No wonder this country is getting so F'd up.
I have to throw in a funny story here.

In the 1980s I was teaching in the Maryland suburbs of D.C. in a new middle school. There was a PE teacher who was pretty universally disliked, and one day when we arrived to school, spray painted on the exterior brick wall was the message in huge letters: F--- A---- M-----. The F is obvious, the A M were the teachers initials. So the principal called the central maintenance office and they came out and sand blasted exactly where the letters had been spray painted. Thus, the message was now even more obvious.

Old 02-07-2019, 05:15 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,147,530 times
The OP is being a little unfairly piled on here.

1 - At the middle school level (grade 7), by definition, this technically fits into the “sexual harassment” category and that is not something administrators are allowed to just blow off these days. There is a reason the principal called the OP and it has to do with that reality, and that reality was also probably a motivator for the teacher sending the kid to the office when they found out about it, aside from the simple act of vandalism. The principal will be unable to tell the parent what was done to the other child, but for both the administration’s and the district’s own legal wellbeing it better have been more than a casual chat, it better have been documented, and it better have included a clear message such behavior will not be tolerated to the boy’s parents. Hopefully, this is a one time thing but if this is, or becomes, a pattern of behavior for the boy it is a legitimate problem that will have to be addressed by law or regulation in most states.

2 - I know everyone wants to brush this off as “boys will be boys”, and maybe that was all it was, but stop and think about it in terms of the #MeToo movement. Besides, except for about a decade or two in the recent past, this would have never been allowed without consequences, even if the adults involved felt it was all part of the stupid things boys do simply because they are boys. In the “good old days” if a boys drew an obscene picture on a girl’s book, who wasn’t considered a little fast and loose themselves by the administration, he would have been paddled at school and then punished again when he got home. Something can be developmentally normal but nonetheless unacceptable behavior - that is exactly where immature teenagers drawing genitalia on another person’s book fits in most cases. In other rare cases, it is actually an alarming precursor to future very serious deviant behavior. The two middle school boys in my career who had notable issues with inappropriately drawing sexually related body parts did both end up serving time as adults for sexually related crimes.

3 - The parent can request their daughter not be in classes with the kid and the school will NEED to do what it can to accommodate that request, however, at this juncture it will be the OP’s daughter whose classes will be changed, not the boy’s. That is actually not a good idea, the girl may feel like she is being punished on top of being victimized. If the boy does it again after this event, which the administration has clearly been made aware of, then there may be a legitimate case made for the boy to be moved based on a pattern of harassment.

Old 02-07-2019, 05:16 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,147,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I have to throw in a funny story here.

In the 1980s I was teaching in the Maryland suburbs of D.C. in a new middle school. There was a PE teacher who was pretty universally disliked, and one day when we arrived to school, spray painted on the exterior brick wall was the message in huge letters: F--- A---- M-----. The F is obvious, the A M were the teachers initials. So the principal called the central maintenance office and they came out and sand blasted exactly where the letters had been spray painted. Thus, the message was now even more obvious.
Bahaha..... typical.

Old 02-07-2019, 05:38 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,095,465 times
I think ... that the OP just inadvertently broadened my perspective on discrepancies in education & parenting between different countries & cultures.

I think OP considered bringing his family to the US as not just an employment opportunity but also as a chance to invest in his children’s future. Meaning; their education.

I think that in some countries, educating your children may not be a “given” & that being allowed registration in “#1” schools is considered an honor & a privilege. I wonder if students in these #1 schools in the OP’s country are held to a certain standard for both grades & behavior & if those children might have a certain amount of respect for education that children in the US; lack?

Meaning that the OP may have expected a #1 school in the US to hold their students to a certain standard & the OP believes that a male student who defaces property by drawing male genitalia in a female students book; shows a lack of respect for the education he is privileged enough to be receiving.

That would disappoint me too, given that the OP alluded to the fact that significant sacrifices have been made, in order to live within the boundaries of the #1 school in the #1 district in his area.

Old 02-07-2019, 05:46 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,676,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
1. You can "insist" all you like. Doesn't mean it's gonna happen.
2. Forced apologies are worthless.
3. Your second paragraph -- reasonable advice and I would add to put everything in writing.
I happen to disagree with your second point. I imagine a Tyrion style of confession coming from the Genital Man drawer. In GOT this was certainly not worthless and served its purpose.

“Where do I begin, my lords and ladies? I'm a vile man, I confess it. My crimes and sins are beyond counting. I have lied and cheated...I have drawn Genital Men...”

Last edited by TXRunner; 02-07-2019 at 06:24 PM..

Old 02-07-2019, 06:13 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,585,083 times
Is "Genital Man" a new comic book superhero?

Old 02-07-2019, 06:53 PM

4,200 posts, read 4,450,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve mcdonald View Post
is "genital man" a new comic book superhero?

thwack / splat & wham @

Old 02-07-2019, 07:40 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,373,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
I happen to disagree with your second point. I imagine a Tyrion style of confession coming from the Genital Man drawer. In GOT this was certainly not worthless and served its purpose.

“Where do I begin, my lords and ladies? I'm a vile man, I confess it. My crimes and sins are beyond counting. I have lied and cheated...I have drawn Genital Men...”
I wonder if this would disqualify someone running for public office, if it were dug up from his past that in middle school, he had drawn pictures of a genital man on someone's book.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:52 PM

16,028 posts, read 6,834,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hope2settle View Post
Hi Parents,

A boy drew genital man to my girl text book. My girl(grade 7) report it to teacher. The principal call me about the situation and said proper standard procedure has been taken to the boy.
I don’t ask many questions during he call me because I believe the principal from this middle school that rank no.1 in this district will do his job properly.

No e-mail/ mail from teacher/ principal regarding this situation.
Weeks past, the boy still attend same class with my girl. I wonder what is the proper standard procedure/s has been taken to the boy.
1 of my expectation is, the boy have to not in same home room any more with my girl.
My other expectation is a formal e-mail/ mail about the incident.

I appreciate Parents who have girl could share neutral and honest opinion if this unpleasant incident happen to your girl.
Thanks in advance for any reply.
Your post sounds questionable.
You articulate your message at times and then waft off into non fluidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education