Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 09:01 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Here in Virginia they plan in so many snow day but this year we will exceed them so they take previous workday/holidays and make them instructional days. I have seen the "add 15 minutes per day" garbage used and it does nothing other than meet instructional hours. The bigger issue is how frequently closures are being called, are these kids going to melt if there are flakes in the air or wet roads, it has gotten ridicules.

I am also in Virginia, but the way my district does it (mentioned in my previous post) we don’t have to deal with make up days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 09:35 AM

459 posts, read 608,740 times
In my state (Alaska) the requirement is 170 days. We had an earthquake in Anchorage where most students were out for a full week and some being out 8 days depending on the school. There has also been I think a couple snow days. I have only heard of 1 1/2 days of make up for the Anchorage school district. I don't live near Anchorage now, so only what I see online is what I know.

Old 02-21-2019, 12:26 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
The bigger issue is how frequently closures are being called, are these kids going to melt if there are flakes in the air or wet roads, it has gotten ridicules.
I think that's not so much the concern, as increasingly litigious parents if there was an accident on the bus or while the students were traveling to school.

Old 02-21-2019, 01:36 PM

45,332 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyman51 View Post
In my state (Alaska) the requirement is 170 days. We had an earthquake in Anchorage where most students were out for a full week and some being out 8 days depending on the school. There has also been I think a couple snow days. I have only heard of 1 1/2 days of make up for the Anchorage school district. I don't live near Anchorage now, so only what I see online is what I know.
Many states have an allowance for waiving days if a state of emergency is declared. An earthquake would probably qualify while a couple snow days wouldn't.

We had an earthquake here in Maryland about seven years ago. My former system was closed for four days while the buildings were inspected. The state Department of Education waived as many days that school systems needed but they had to be requested. My system didn't request any nor any for the eight or nine snow days that year so we ended up making up twelve or thirteen days at the end of the year, going a full month after the mandated testing was over.

The system is still the 2nd worst in the state.

Old 02-21-2019, 02:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I think that's not so much the concern, as increasingly litigious parents if there was an accident on the bus or while the students were traveling to school.
I do think the safety of the kids while traveling has to be taken into consideration.

Old 02-21-2019, 02:20 PM

I think the only time they cancelled school for snow here, at least in the last ten years or so, was when there was a big drift across the road that required heavy equipment to clear. The school was physically unreachable by road vehicle, lol.

They automatically cancel school if it's less than -50 degrees out (NOT counting windchill) because the busses become unreliable. That happens a couple times most years so makeup days are built in to the calendar, I think. They will also cancel school if the roads are covered in ice.

Old 02-21-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I do think the safety of the kids while traveling has to be taken into consideration.
Oh, sure. But that's always been the case - he was talking about a district being increasingly eager to call inclement weather days in recent years.

Old 02-21-2019, 02:58 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
You're correct. Our walkers often had to walk in the road since sidewalks were not shoveled. Our bus students often had to wait in the street because walks were not shoveled. Our parking lot was not plowed until all the county's main roads were plowed, and with over 20 buses, staff cars, and parent drop-offs, that made it a mess...during rush hour.

Old 02-21-2019, 03:00 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
This whole thread...a solution looking for a problem.

Old 02-21-2019, 03:10 PM

37,592 posts, read 45,950,883 times
We have always had makeup days here, and I have ALWAYS hated them. I work for a school division, but not in the teaching area. It has always been beyond aggravating to be told that 1) you cannot come in to work today and 2) you have to make up the time and you aren’t allowed to make it up on the weekend. We have to follow the same rules that teachers and students do, which is an absolute hardship.

FINALLY this year the super has decided that it is okay to not make up the time...sometimes. He will decide each day individually. But at least that is a start!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education