Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2019, 08:47 AM

7,453 posts, read 4,684,019 times

Advertisements

I know minuses -- no public school bus, a lot more homework.

What do kids get in return?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 11:05 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,044,073 times
That depends upon the nature of the magnet. They each have a different "pull" -or magnet- to draw in a population that would not normally attend school there. Could be a specialized art program, or a STEM emphasis, etc.

My daughter applied to two different magnet schools for high school. One offered an IB program/diploma that wasn't available at our regular high school, and the other was specifically for academically gifted kids. One of them also had transportation available.

Old 02-26-2019, 03:29 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,185,322 times
I went to a Health Professions Magnet for High School in Houston in the 1980s. It was competitive to get in then, as it was one of the only stand alone magnets in the school district at the time, and I know it's even more competitive now.

Yes, we had additional classes and homework and a longer school day than other HS. We did have bus transpiration, however, which I suppose was pretty unusual considering that students attended from across the Houston area and the school is located in the Texas Medical Center. Once I was driving age, however, I carpooled with other friends who lived "nearby" (i.e. within 15-20 minutes of my house). It took us an hour to get to school in rush hour traffic.

For me, pros of my experience were:

1. Small student body that was very racially and socioeconomically diverse (total of about 800 students in the entire HS).

2. Being surrounded by other bright and motivated kids, virtually 100% of whom were college bound.

3. Very few visible disciplinary problems, drug problems, violence etc (likely due to #2)

4. The school gave me an exposure to something I was interested in and steered me in a direction different than I thought I wanted to go career wise. By that, I mean I was certain I wanted to be a doctor, but after spending time working in hospitals as a 17 year old assisting with patient care activities, I quickly dropped that idea and focused my attention elsewhere in the industry. Some of the things I learned in HS, I applied directly to my advanced degree and career, and I still remember them to this day (medical terminology, Anatomy, Public Health).

Old 02-26-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
I went to a Health Professions Magnet for High School in Houston in the 1980s. It was competitive to get in then, as it was one of the only stand alone magnets in the school district at the time, and I know it's even more competitive now.

Yes, we had additional classes and homework and a longer school day than other HS. We did have bus transpiration, however, which I suppose was pretty unusual considering that students attended from across the Houston area and the school is located in the Texas Medical Center. Once I was driving age, however, I carpooled with other friends who lived "nearby" (i.e. within 15-20 minutes of my house). It took us an hour to get to school in rush hour traffic.

For me, pros of my experience were:

1. Small student body that was very racially and socioeconomically diverse (total of about 800 students in the entire HS).

2. Being surrounded by other bright and motivated kids, virtually 100% of whom were college bound.

3. Very few visible disciplinary problems, drug problems, violence etc (likely due to #2)

4. The school gave me an exposure to something I was interested in and steered me in a direction different than I thought I wanted to go career wise. By that, I mean I was certain I wanted to be a doctor, but after spending time working in hospitals as a 17 year old assisting with patient care activities, I quickly dropped that idea and focused my attention elsewhere in the industry. Some of the things I learned in HS, I applied directly to my advanced degree and career, and I still remember them to this day (medical terminology, Anatomy, Public Health).

Nice inputs!

Old 02-26-2019, 05:14 PM

804 posts, read 545,449 times
Well I went to a Magnet school.

The difference was that we was already part of a program called
The Eagle students would go to the Eagle building, and Javits building, stars the stars. Nickname to higher
performing students. I wished I had the ability to stay. Originally I was to be in private school.

Basically the difference for me was

::Regular school::
Students in Detention almost everyday.
It was a bigger building with far more students.
It was closer
Many of my ex-classmates who did not go that school went there.
There diversity was more darker in skin tone ( my opinion from passing by )

::Magnet School::
Our school had a swimming pool ( but it was closed )
Our school had a shop class ( but it was closed )
We had to take the bus ( which was new and expensive at the time in my mind )
We never had any big fights

For the public school route it was a way to separate those was showing ability to make

Old 02-26-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanArt View Post
Well I went to a Magnet school.

The difference was that we was already part of a program called
The Eagle students would go to the Eagle building, and Javits building, stars the stars. Nickname to higher
performing students. I wished I had the ability to stay. Originally I was to be in private school.

Basically the difference for me was

::Regular school::
Students in Detention almost everyday.
It was a bigger building with far more students.
It was closer
Many of my ex-classmates who did not go that school went there.
There diversity was more darker in skin tone ( my opinion from passing by )

::Magnet School::
Our school had a swimming pool ( but it was closed )
Our school had a shop class ( but it was closed )
We had to take the bus ( which was new and expensive at the time in my mind )
We never had any big fights

For the public school route it was a way to separate those was showing ability to make
Nice inputs also!

Old 02-27-2019, 09:17 AM

My initial thoughts of perks of a Magnet School is it gets bigger budgets than other public schools that it compares to a private school in terms of teachers (I believe so) but also facilities and exposure trips locally and internationally.

Maybe I'm wrong to expect this from a Magnet school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education