Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 02:00 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,010,074 times

Advertisements

I'm sure this topic has been discussed elsewhere but I wonder what those who participate in the education forum have to say about this?

My personal stance is this is a good idea. It's a rural school district and my guess is some of these kids already have a solid amount of experience handling firearms. And ideally those kids' parents have been instrumental in teaching proper handling and safety procedures. But even if that is a parental responsibility, the school district is smart to offer teaching and instruction on something that is relevant to the public it serves.

Here's a short news piece:

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...ng/2337934002/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 02:14 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,135,358 times
Whether kids go on to be hunters or shooting enthusiasts or not, proper training in handling firearms can only be a good thing.
Even those that hate guns should take such a course.

Old 01-17-2019, 03:30 PM

8,080 posts, read 7,451,105 times
I think it's fine, but it's also sad that hunting and firearm safety which used to be taught by father figures (and supplemented by the Boy Scouts in many cases) is now taught by a government agency.

Old 01-17-2019, 03:48 PM

3,974 posts, read 5,169,572 times
Good. Teach them to respect the weapon instead of thinking of it as a toy.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:05 PM

12,853 posts, read 9,067,991 times
Both my kids did ROTC in high school. Part of which included firearms instruction and time on the range at the local National Guard training center. They loved it.

Old 01-18-2019, 03:33 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,102,528 times
good idea. !

In High School... We had our hunting rifles in the back window gun racks of our pickup trucks, and often skipped class for a couple hours during Goose season (We had a Goose blind 'walking distance' from the High School).

I would imagine most of the pickups were unlocked with ammunition under the seat.

Yes, today we need to be more diligent. Training is a good thing to offer at a 'school'

I would imagine there are still US Public Schools that offer 'shooting classes' / or gun clubs... too.

Old 01-19-2019, 01:21 PM

50,860 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Even though I'm a gun control advocate, I support programs like this.

Early in my teaching career I taught in a high school in a very rural school district. The first day of hunting season the absentee rate was tremendous. Schools should teach what is needed.

My only question would be how can a school system afford a program like this if they can't afford driver education?

Old 01-19-2019, 01:34 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,318,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

Early in my teaching career I taught in a high school in a very rural school district. The first day of hunting season the absentee rate was tremendous. Schools should teach what is needed.

My only question would be how can a school system afford a program like this if they can't afford driver education?
I do too. I support some types of gun control. Yet, my background is I grew up in a western state with a smaller population and hunting was an important part of the culture here. When I was fourteen I took NRA hunter safety training and it was an excellent program. The rules for safe handling of firearms have always stayed with me.

I don't see any harm that can come from a program like this. It simply educates young people about firearms and how to handle them safely.

Old 01-19-2019, 01:35 PM

45,435 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

Looks like it's going to be part of PE. I don't know Iowa requirements but Maryland hunting and firearms instructors have to be trained and certified. I am. You also have to do continuing education to remain certified.

Old 01-19-2019, 03:08 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,325,704 times
I am kind of surprised this is even newsworthy. I went to k-12 in Ohio and college in PA. Gun safety classes weren't unusual. When I first started teaching here in a suburban DC district we had gun safety lessons in elementary school (those have ended). Our local high schools have rifle teams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education