Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 06:23 AM

285 posts, read 1,090,977 times

Advertisements

The Robesonian > Robesonian > News > Teacher suspended following allegation

Robeson County Schools, NC hits the news again, this county has had a multitude of issues involving educators who have crossed the line with children. For those of you who do not live in areas where this type of misconduct exists, it is hard to imagine.
I will be very interested to see what is done with this teacher. It is encouraging to me that she has been suspended at this point. There are laws that are very specific regarding restraint and seclusion in North Carolina Schools, and it would appear that this act violated the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 07:36 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Well, this is inexcusable behavior on the part of the teacher. BUT what's wrong with parents that can't teach their kids self control?

Old 04-11-2008, 07:37 AM

Let's see, we have a wiggling 6 year old, and a teacher ties her to a chair. Who is demonstrating a lack of self control?

Old 04-11-2008, 09:31 AM
9/9

383 posts, read 565,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegmomof4 View Post
Let's see, we have a wiggling 6 year old, and a teacher ties her to a chair. Who is demonstrating a lack of self control?
Where did you find the information that the child was "wiggling"? I didn't see that word in the article.

I am interested in following up on this story, and I would appreciate the other sources you have. Thanks.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:57 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
I don't care if the child was doing jumping jacks and singing Christmas carols at the top of her lungs. That's when you drag her bratty little butt to the principal's office, you don't tie her to a chair using yarn from arts and crafts time!! Good lord, what was that woman thinking?

Old 04-11-2008, 11:55 AM

870 posts, read 1,626,607 times
i agree, but teachers get very little support from administration nowadays. just read the article about the kid beating the teacher up and what the principal told the teacher. but, i do not agree with what this teacher did either. too bad the paddle is gone.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:35 PM

Default Clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9/9 View Post
Where did you find the information that the child was "wiggling"? I didn't see that word in the article.

I am interested in following up on this story, and I would appreciate the other sources you have. Thanks.
You are right, there is no mention of wiggling in that story. I had someone email an article dated 4/10 from the Fayetteville Observer, but I do not have the link, and the forum rules prohibit me from copying the entire article. I searched online today, and can't find the article. I did confirm that it ran by calling Lori Williams, an editor from that paper. Perhaps a search on the part of others will yield that story. It is not a real user friendly newsite, in my humble opinion.

Here is the line in that story that led to my "wiggling" reference, and I agree, this version differs from the second story. I still maintain that there is no reason to tie a child to a desk with yarn.

"Locklear said it’s her understanding that Reedy tied her daughter to the desk because she wouldn’t be still. Locklear said her daughter is not overly active. She said she has talked to other teachers who have told her that it’s hard for children that age to sit still for long periods of time."

Thank you for asking about this. Interesting topic to me.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:10 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,864,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by booker_one View Post
i agree, but teachers get very little support from administration nowadays. just read the article about the kid beating the teacher up and what the principal told the teacher. but, i do not agree with what this teacher did either. too bad the paddle is gone.
Very well put!!! I had a kid hit me too and the kid only had to spend one recess in the office. I had another kid hit me and nothing happened. However that doesn't excuse this teachers behavior. If she was going that crazy she should have sought help from an older teacher or possibly counseling for herself.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:19 PM

413 posts, read 782,545 times
I don't see the problem. Let teachers do their job. Parents don't educate their kids, someone has to educate them, they've got to learn to follow rules and respect authority.

Old 04-13-2008, 01:06 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,864,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchman View Post
I don't see the problem. Let teachers do their job. Parents don't educate their kids, someone has to educate them, they've got to learn to follow rules and respect authority.
You are SO RIGHT about parents not educating their kids. I mean I don't see why I read so many negative posts about teachers when I am sure there are far more bad parents out there than bad teachers. I have many kids in my class whose parents don't even care about them and their junior high age brothers and sisters are the ones raising them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education